4 stroke maintenance

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
Hey Guys. This is my first 4 stroke build. I know what to look for in two stroke, but Not the 4 strokes .I took some photos so if you guys see anything and have tips let me know. Bike hits 23mph. 40 tooth sprocket adapter. Spring tensioner .I don't really have any issues with my bike other than vibration but that's neither there no there . Few strips of tubing can fix that.

Edit: Also. .these washers for my Transmission are like. . .bent. .is that bad?

When I Max rev I can feel my bike shift from 23 to 24 to 23 to 24. I'm wondering is this my bike wanting to go faster? Or is it just the horsepower preparing itself for a hill since I'm maxed rev?

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Exactly what do you mean shifts from 23-24, 23-24 during max rev. Are talking about 23-24 mph? The 4 strokes have a certain rpm where they have max horse power and a certain rpm where it has max torque.

Even if your engine only drives a single ratio you don't want to over rev your engine. This can cause a lot of damage to the engine. Put simply don't go beyond the max horse power rpm.

If the bike is going up a steep hill and can't reach the max torque rpm it means the engine is being strained too hard; so you're going to have to give it more pedal assist.

What you need is a tachometer/hour counter. It's extremely easy to over rev when going down hill. It's also very easy to strain the engine when going up extremely steep hills. This is where a shift kit is so beneficial for small cc engines.

The hour counter is helpful in letting you know when to change the oil and clean the air filter. I recommend changing the oil after 25 hours of use. Get a vacuum pump to change the oil.

Clean the air filter after 10 hours of use. My 4 stroke is over 10 years old and all I've ever replaced on it is a spark plug.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
I mean I can feel my bike kinda darting to 23 mph then it will slow down and then kinda 'jerk forward'.

Thank you for the information. I don't ride constantly on max rev. During the break in I rode it at different speeds to get it going. And during the 6 seconds of max rev I noticed what I had stated before.

I don't rev down hills. I never liked the sound my engine makes when I did it once.

Other than that, does the pictures look okay? Should I be concerned about the warped washers?