Bellingham WA
I had it running fine and dandy then pulled the motor to fix an oil leak

Here's everything that I did

Pulled spark plug to check color
Pulled the cam
Sealed governor holes
Reassembled

That's it

When I pulled the cam I turned the crank to line up the timing marks for reassembly. The valves dropped so I pushed them back into place.

I installed everything and didn't mess with the electrical. Any ideas what to look for?

I tried starting it and it gets fuel but there's no spark at the plug boot connector

Thanks!

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
Yes I pulled all that out the first day I got the motor. Its got a billit fly wheel, billit connecting rod, a mod 2 cam and 26 lb springs. I had it all together and running till I took it down to seal some bolt threads on the drain holes.

I'm not sure what could have happened. Maybe the valves and magneto need readjusted?

What you did should have no effect on the spark. If you did something wrong the valves would just be opening and closing at the wrong time but you should still have spark. One manufacturer of the billet fly wheels says that due to the high magnetic field of the neodymium magnets used in these billet flywheels you would risk burning out the coil if you have a coil gap of less than .030".

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
I wouldn't think what I did could affect the ignition.

I'll check the gap tonight. Maybe a bolt came loose and closed the gap or something. Thanks for the help!

Amarion1

Sep 15, 2012
Bellingham WA
Also there is a wire coming from the coil up to the off on switch. Make sure this is not pinched between the case and something and make sure the end of it is not grounded.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

You were nuts on with that pinched wire! I had it pinned on top of the motor between the front motor mount. I've got a small opening for it to trail through but it jumped up onto the sharp ledge that my mount bolts to

Thank you very much!

I even tugged on that very wire and made sure it was all plugged in right! Didn't get a chance to tear into anything else thank goodness! I saw your reply and snuck out to look right quick and there she was...

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
That interesting, not funny as was going to say, as what I mean is I to have a good ground for the kill switch that might seem unusual.

I've run a pair of wires from the magneto to the switch on the handlebars. One is the ground lamination on the magneto and the other is from the primary winding.

I just wanted to be sure with the grease in the fork headset it bypasses that all so I can for sure stop the sparks when I press the button.

As a backup in parallel I put a toggle switch by the seat. There is no choke on the carburetor only a primer bulb which would not be useful to stop the engine in a panic situation.

MT