1911 Flying Merkel single build.

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Well. It's back on the hoist. This thing is just geared too tall. Idle gets me ~25 mph. Crack the throttle Im going too fast for my brakes or comfort level. I found a 48 tooth sprocket laying about Im having modified to fit Pat's hub adapter. That will get me 4 more teeth on the final drive. It would be nice for less clutch slipping on take off too. /QUOTE]

Hi Velo...Makes a change from the majority of postings who ask 'how can I get my bike to go faster' ...xct2!
I guess there was never any doubt in the minds of us eagerly following along with your build blog that your orange beauty would live up to the 'FLYING' part of its name. Imagine, back in the day, being sat astride something like this, hurtling sideways round a track with the throttle wide open and little or NO brakes...
Hoping your drivetrain tinkering gets to tame her wilder side and you end up with a ride where you don't always have to remember to wear your brown trousers...lol.
I take the view a build is rarely ever 'finished'. Tinkering is all part of the journey - and the fun!
You've come this far. You'll figure it out.

Reactions: fasteddy

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You're moving in the right direction 44t to a 48t will help some, but I've seen the need to jump up to a 52t or 54t on the older Briggs style engine especially if they've been modified for power. The 54 t will eliminate the need for clutch slipping guaranteed & give you excellent quick. If the 48t isn't enough p.m. your address & I'll send you a lightly used aluminum 54 with counter sunk bolt pattern that will fit up to Pat's adaptor...can't beat free1 Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You've built a lovely bike & both those who know and those that really don't will really appreciate the end result, "The cream always rises to the top", well done!

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy