Haven't been on in awhile, starting a new build.

GoldenMotor.com

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Hello,
Haven’t been on in awhile, maybe a couple of years. Built a 2 cycle with my son and had a lot of fun with it, still running good. Have been wanting to build another one for some time and wanted to try a four cycle build this time. Stalked the second hand stores and yard sales for awhile and finally came up with a few bikes to combine to get what I wanted without spending a whole lot. I now have a base that I am starting with, a Huffy Cranbrook, but with front suspension and disk brake. This time I am building it with the Boy Scout Crew that I work with as they wanted to see how one of these is put together. We only meet once a week so it might take us a little while. The only thing we still need to do to the frame is weld on the chain tensioner but were wait for our rear sprocket to make sure the alignment was correct. Here are a few pics of what we have so far.

Attachments

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Thanks for the kind words. It is the HuaSheng 49cc. Bought the 7G kit and will see how it does. These kits leave a little bit to be desired. Still working our way through everything and correcting the things we don't like.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Does that one have bushings or bearings in the transmission? There is a writeup about changing them to bearings if it's the cheap brass bushings I'm thinking of.

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
It does have the bushing. Have the bearings and will perform the upgrade once the motor is mounted on the frame. If it the upgrade does not turn out to work, I will find a different transmission. I think EZ has a good solid transmission that I could switch to. The only thing I don't like about the bearing upgrade is that the motor shaft has to be ground down. If I switch to another transmission after that I will need to replace the crank.

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Hi, Just updating. The bike is mostly finished, just have a few minor details to work on still. Everything is working good. My son, who we built a 2 stroke kit for, now says he likes the 4 stroke better. Next maybe we will build a 79cc predator bike, just saw that Harbor Freight now has the 79cc in Calif. Anyway, here are a few PICs of where we are at now with our Cranbrook.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Very nice bike. Did the Boy Scouts learn how to turn a wrench? You may have to help build a few now more. Very rewarding, working with the kids.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOL BEANS! I have 4 sons, all were in scouts, helped a lot. Nice bike, like how you did the tank mount .................Curt

malatious

Sep 23, 2014
Riverside, CA
Thanks for the nice words. Yes, the Boy Scouts did all the wrenching, and they all want one now. We try to do lots of hands on stuff due to the school system dropping a lot of things like metal, and wood shop. The tank mounts, I dug out of my parts bucket, they are industrial brackets used to hold pipes and conduit to C Chanel. We hacked of the tabbed end and welded them together, then welded to the bike tube. We had to put some rubber spacer between the tank and the brackets to absorb some of the vibration.