my first build

GoldenMotor.com

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I'm working on my first build, picked up a Genesis 29" mountain bike from Wally world on clearance, $160 after tax! pretty good deal I thought, since it's $220 normally. I'm gonna put a china girl on it. it's got disk brakes up front and the brakes levers are built into the shifters. it's super light weight due to the aluminum frame, but the frame is kinda small so some modifications will be needed. I'll upload some pics tomorrow.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey neighbor.
Best of luck with your build. Lots of aluminum bikes around so you shouldn't have any problems. Keep us informed on your progress.

Have fun and please, ride safe.

Tom

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Made a little progress over the last couple days. Made a new spark plug wire from a piece of 10g wire with a very thick insulator I had. Soldered the old wire end to the wire and finished it off with some heat shrink for a clean nice look. Had to make it longer too since I kinda have to put the coil under the engine.

Attachments

nathanmd33

Sep 23, 2013
Watkinsville Ga
Oh nice bike! I want to make another on a mountain bike like that. You may have to get another pedal on the left side of the bike. I did but you may not.

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I don't have a huge amount of time to work on it, but its starting to come together. I still a ways to go, but I think the biggest hurdle will be having to find a way to turn the carb out to the side, I have a few ideas, I might just wander around the hardware store till I find something I'm happy with. Anybody have any suggestions? As far as the pedals go, I think the are kinda wide as is and clear the engine and exhaust but ill be sure to watch for that. Thank you.

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Send me a sase bubble mailer envelope and I'll send you an offset manifold. I have several laying around.
Pm me for address if interested

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
I found a small copper elbow at the hardware store, that will work for the intake offset, with just a little modification. I have the electrical tape there just to hide the ugly copper elbow, which was soldered to the original intake. Got my clutch worked out using the front gear shifter. I think I'm about ready to fire her up, just going to double check everything.

Attachments

Last edited:

Earbiter

Oct 22, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Finally went for my first ride around the neighborhood last night. Lots of fun. However, I did have a couple questions about it. It seems like the engine bogs way down and gets pretty jurky if I'm not keeping above 8-ish mph, is that normal? Also I'm trying to not go full throttle until after break in, but there's not as mush power as I would have expected from an engine claiming 5hp, from my go kart experience and what not. Is this also normal? or could there be something else going on?

Thank you

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
8 MPH is too slow to travel unless you have a huge rear sprocket, say a 70 tooth.
When using the typical 44 tooth rear sprocket you need to travel near 15 MPH for the engine to be spinning at a fast enough speed to not be bogged down, struggle and buck.
The stock gearing is not set up for slow speed travel.
That engine is not 5 HP. It is more like 2 1/2. As the engine breaks in it will develop more power as the parts loosen up. You will notice a difference after 4 to 5 tank fulls.
Going full throttle for short distances like 150 feet is great. It helps seat the piston rings to the cylinder wall. Just ride mellow between the full throttle bursts for at least a 1/4 mile to avoid overheating the engine.
Also, during break in if you are using a petroleum based oil, use a quality 2 stroke premix oil made specifically for air cooled engines mixed at 24:1. After break in use 32:1.