Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Breaking in on Opti2? :0 I thought the rings like a little friction to help them set properly, know what I mean? Maybe running a gallon of dinosaur juice through will help set the mixture too. I wouldn't want to have to look up "shades of grey" lately, lols

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Breaking in on Opti2? :0 I thought the rings like a little friction to help them set properly, know what I mean? Maybe running a gallon of dinosaur juice through will help set the mixture too. I wouldn't want to have to look up "shades of grey" lately, lols
Greg,
There's a lot of discussion here about that. I've been breaking in on Opti for a long time. No complaints from me. Or my engines. :)

Tom

Buzzerbiker

Sep 27, 2012
kalispell MT.
Good job, sounds like you've got it down. You're right on about plug reading being deceptive. There are too many additives and even seasonal variables in gasoline today, add to that, most of us have a favorite oil for our two strokes, and most are really good. That said, unless you are wildly out of stoich, the plug won't tell you much. Probably one of the best investments you could make if you don't have one already, is an infared temp gun. One you have one you will find dozens of uses to make like easier. Get one with a laser. When you were too rich, the temp of the head pipe AT the jug was probably under 400 deg F. That, with the throttle at, or near WOT. Now that you are near stoic, you'll probably see over 450 deg F, over 550 deg it'll run strong, but may shorten the life. These temps are approximate too. Exhaust pipe materials and thickness will change readings too, but with some practice, it's a time saver on tuning, plus you'll learn to diagnose tons of other issues around the house and garage both over time. Have fun, and beautiful bike too!.flg.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Greg,
There's a lot of discussion here about that. I've been breaking in on Opti for a long time. No complaints from me. Or my engines. :)

Tom
Roger that! If it works, it works. :)

For S&G, I threw the #69 jet I like 'round here(500' above sea level) in the vernier, came out to 0.027". 0.025" turned out to be the #71, if you were curious. At the altitude you have to deal with, you could probably go smaller still, maybe. I remember Goat Herder having a pain with the carb on his Morini out that way due to the altitude.

But yea man, another great looking bike to cruise around on, for sure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
At the rate I'm going it'll be June before I get the tank painted. It hasn't been warm enough for weeks and they're predicting another snow storm, 8 to 10 inches for this weekend. Then in the 40s for the week. Rats!

WHERE'S SPRING???

Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I been kinda anxious to see that bike "complete" ..... hustle hustle man ! lol
p.s. over here I would like to find punxatawney phil ...the groundhog who predicted an early spring an hook him up "so to speak "........so much for global warming .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, Gary. I'm anxious too but like my wife said, "It's too cold to ride anyway. Why are you in such a hurry to paint?"
I guess she has a point but the bike looks silly with this little chrome kit tank and when I'm sitting staring at it in the garage it would look so much better with the big tank on and painted.

Yeah, 'Global Warming'. Everyone knows how I feel about that particular hoax. :( and groundhogs.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The reason for painting now is so that when it is riding weather you dont have to wait for the paint to dry!
I agree but I've already had one issue with the primer because I rushed it and it wasn't warm enough. I'd sure hate to see a repeat with the color coat. I can still ride it with the little tank so I'll be patient.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I been kinda anxious to see that bike "complete" ..... hustle hustle man ! lol
p.s. over here I would like to find punxatawney phil ...the groundhog who predicted an early spring an hook him up "so to speak "........so much for global warming .
LOL, right Gnu!?

Tom, am living/building vicariously threw you. I miss my "tinker time.
(that would be a cool name for my shop/biz. Sing to the tune of "hammer time" "....break it down yo, tinker time" snork)

Saw a thing on the news. Some one is tryin to sue the Groundhog. Not some run of the mill rodent but Punxatawney Phil !

Doesn't he have some sort of executive privilege or some thing.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
At the rate I'm going it'll be June before I get the tank painted. It hasn't been warm enough for weeks and they're predicting another snow storm, 8 to 10 inches for this weekend. Then in the 40s for the week. Rats!

WHERE'S SPRING???

Tom
They were right, the weather people. See why I'm not riding or painting today?

Yuk. In a few minutes I gotta go out there and blow that carp off the walks and driveway. Man, I'm really tired of winter.

Tom

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That sucks Tom. I'm glad it didn't come down here. We're all bumed because we're going to be in the 60s for the next week.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Finally got some warm weather and the black base coat on the tank today. It came out okay. Not perfect, a little orange peel, but I'll color sand it then shoot the clear coat if the temperature stays decent.

I still want to do the gold metalflake ghost flames so it'll be a while before the tank is done. Just heard it's supposed to get cold again Monday. Rats!

Tom

Attachments

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Looks good Tom, glad you had some warm weather and didn't have another primer issue. Cant wait to see it with the ghost flames. I just sanded my tank today in hopes to prime and paint this weekend.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
yeah I hope so too. I never planned on leaving it bright red and it is a reproduction so I didn't feel bad when sanding it. Thinking about trying to find a similar color to the bike or just going black. I will see what the auto parts place has in stock.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
yeah I hope so too. I never planned on leaving it bright red and it is a reproduction so I didn't feel bad when sanding it. Thinking about trying to find a similar color to the bike or just going black. I will see what the auto parts place has in stock.
You might want to explore Dupli-Color automotive touch up. It comes in lots of colors and you might find something to match the bike. I found matching paint for a Schwinn Jaguar in Dupli-Color and a friend found it to match his red Scwinn.
I don't recommend their clear however. It doesn't stand up to gasoline very well but their colors go on nice and I like the valves in their cans. They give a nice spray pattern for rattle cans.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That sure looks good for a rattle can job, Tom. I can only get close to that painting a very small part.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I hope I can get that good of a look with a rattle can. Any recomendations on a clear coat that withstands fuel?
I've been using TopFlite model airplane clear for several tanks with good results. It is absolutely gasoline resistant and goes on good. I wish they would improve their nozzle but you can get a good finish with what they have.
Any hobby shop that has model airplane stuff should carry it. Watch what you buy and read the label. They make a flat and a glossy clear. You'll want the glossy stuff.

Tom