Worlds Slowest Indian briggs powered

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looks like he has the ignition module housed in a faux magneto housing. Looks like 2 wires coming off the bottom of it in the left side pic . Maybe he has a battery hidden in the faux crankcase?
It looks like some aluminum mount bits there between the crankcase and the BB
You are right, i meant to include this link to another one of "Hillbillys" builds, but he does mention the "Thor" bike. He goes on to say "the motor in the 'Thor' is from an Australian Victa. they used variations of this motor from the 50's through to the early 70's, I like the cast carby and simple lines of this motor. It took a lot of work to to fit it to the bike, I cut down the crank and re threaded the crank ends, removed the magneto/flywheel and trimmed down the crank case to make the motor narrower. I put a crank triggered electronic ignition unit on it, which is hidden in the alloy crank case cover that I also made."

Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14042&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

You metioned the wires coming out of the faux cover, they appear to go to a lever hand control, is that a kill switch? I was wondering if it was an advance/retard lever but he says he has electronic ignition.

I cant see any extra engine mounts between the crankcase and BB.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Google JP cycles. You can buy a new Harley Davidson aftermarket points ignition with plate ,cent rotor, points and condenser for about $40. or just the points and plate for much less

Looks to me like two lumps of aluminum between the engine and BB, machine textured the same as the faux crankcase. Not straps like the other mounts.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Google JP cycles. You can buy a new Harley Davidson aftermarket points ignition with plate ,cent rotor, points and condenser for about $40. or just the points and plate for much less

Looks to me like two lumps of aluminum between the engine and BB, machine textured the same as the faux crankcase. Not straps like the other mounts.
Didnt you say i needed one for a single cylinder? A Harley points system would be for a 2 cylinder, does that matter?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
One could knock off the points from a old briggs they used just a notch in the crankshaft. They also used a electronic ignition that eliminates the points but it useses the flywheel and coil for pickup.
The old Kohler engines used a points and coil setup there coil looks just like a old car one but they big should be easy to find.
This is intresting and will have to watch this.
Harry how much would it coast to have one of them engines shiped over here? just wondering....................Curt

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
One could knock off the points from a old briggs they used just a notch in the crankshaft. They also used a electronic ignition that eliminates the points but it useses the flywheel and coil for pickup.
The old Kohler engines used a points and coil setup there coil looks just like a old car one but they big should be easy to find.
This is intresting and will have to watch this.
Harry how much would it coast to have one of them engines shiped over here? just wondering....................Curt
Thanks for the advice CMann and Curtis, im still educating myself on how ignitions actually work, so im still looking at my options but appreciate the feedback.

There seems to be a lot of versions of this engine, all a little different. I have 6 of these engines, all seem to vary a little or a lot. I bought most engines as part of a mower and have payed $10 to $50 for complete mowers.

They were used in vintage lawn mowers like these:

http://www.vintagemowers.net/Victa_Fan_mark1_8_1635545779.jpg

http://www.vintagemowers.net/Victa_model_2_8_3010410239.jpg

The last one i bought was a complete mower and had a cool wind up start like this one except mine was older. Should be cool for the right project.

http://www.outdoorking.com/forum/gallery/59/medium/1369.jpg

Ive noticed im seeing less and less of the 98cc slanthead Villiers, but these Victas are a lot more available. And the prices are very good. Ive noticed someone lives near me and must buy the mowers and sells the engines cleaned up on EBay, he gets good money for them, but complete unrestored mowers can be bought at a fraction of the cost.

So the cost of the motor is next to nothing but im guessing it would be at least $100-$200 in shipping, if not more. Id be happy to locate engines and drop off to get get shipped if you or anyone else interested organised shipping. But probably not worth it. But maybe if a few engines were sent it may bring the price down..... i do know Silverbear was thinking of getting a Villiers from here.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really, really cool Harry.

Those engines have the classic, old world Motorized Bicycle look.

Should start "Harry's MotorBike company"

"Ride a one of a kind"
or
"Recycle your lawn mower" (OK, needs work...)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Can I add an observation here? The ignition on the early bikes was often from a chain driven magneto, so perhaps you could build a secondary shaft in front of or behind the engine to drive the ignition, and keep the engine width down that way.
cvlt1

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have been thinking about this. Most of your new cars have a single coil per plug ( kind of like china girl engines) all one would need is some kind of flywheel pickup to activate it. Something to think about................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You probably could but seems like they are replaceing them a lot. were as the car ones should be easy to come buy in a junk yard..............Curt

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the problum with that would be getting the timeing right. you would have to time it the exact same way your flywheel pickup magnets is setup.
If you use your flywheel and just use a CD inplace of point would be a lot easyer..........Curt