Worlds Slowest Indian briggs powered

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
................................................................"-)
Hahaha thats the COOOOOOOOOOOLEST thing ever, i still cant wipe the smile off my face.... i have to go print that out and hang it up in my manroom, it will take pride of place. Thank you soooooo much Mr.B..... i owe you a beer now.

I doubt my old Villiers would have been that close to Burts Munroe but ill take what i can get :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive been walking past a number of even older Victa engines ive bought in lawnmowers, today i had to just pull one out to play with it. I have 2 newer 160cc engines and four older ones all a little different. They come in 125cc and 160cc versions. Not sure which one this is. Im going to rebuild this engine but couldnt help bolting it back together to see what it looks like once i made a few modifications. I really like it, and it owes me next to nothing.

I cleaned up the engine, i still wish to either polish or sodablast the bottom casings. I cut off the mowerplate to make it look a lot more like a motorcycle engine.

Heres the motor apart and notice the large plate section i removed.

Heres the motor parlty cleaned, still need to blast or polish alloy casings and repaint the barrell. I removed the fins on the flywheel, modified lower casings, turned head 90 degrees, replaced ignition lead with cloth covered one.

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Gee,Harry...Those cylinders would look good as a "V"Twin set-up!...Just have ta make a sweet crankcase!...Make a nice Boardie engine too!....Tigmaster....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Gee,Harry...Those cylinders would look good as a "V"Twin set-up!...Just have ta make a sweet crankcase!...Make a nice Boardie engine too!....Tigmaster....
Ive actually considered doing a faux rear dummy cylinder like Axelkoen's "28" boardtrack" build. Not sure yet......... I really like the simple vintage look of these engines.

Ive also got other motors, and an electronic ignition for it, so im going to to cut down the crank and do away with the flywheel for a much slimmer motor.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I played around with the other motor today in the hope of making a thinner engine. The motor owes me nothing so if this doesnt work out no harm done. Im no mechanic so if anyone sees anything ive done wrong feel free to let me know, may save me valuable time.

On this motor the flywheel plate unbolts, i removed the flywheel as i have electronic ignition for this engine, so ill be able to cut the crank down even further. I would need to make a small faux ignition cover.

On the drive side of the engine i cut down the casing making it thinner. I will just need to get a keyway milled in the crank for a sprocket or pulley.

Flywheel removed, need to install electronic ignition, cut down crank to suit and make faux magneto cover.

Drive side with casing cut down. Need to find a seal to suit and fit. Keyway needs to be milled to this side.

Much slimmer profile, around the same width as a chinagirl.

Compared to the other engine

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The flywheel doesn't it have magnetic pickup to fire the electronic ignition? That is a Victa? what year and cc is this one? .............Curt

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The flywheel doesn't it have magnetic pickup to fire the electronic ignition? That is a Victa? what year and cc is this one? .............Curt
I thought so too Curt. I also would think that the flywheel weight would be required to make the engine run correctly. But i have seen a Victa like this one without a flywheel and electronic ignition fitted. In saying that i only saw a picture and have no idea how it ran, or if it did even run at all. Im no mechanic but learning along the way, which IMO is the best way. On this motor the flywheel shaft was damaged on the end so if it doesnt work out, no harm done.

Im no expert but i think a pin can be placed in the crankshaft or something similar. I know Buddfabs Maytag bike has his flywheel removed, and it looks like he must have done something similar with his electronic ignition.

http://www.pt-photos.com/Maytag_0128.jpg

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That's a good looking engine Harry,
Wish those were common in the states!

-Kirk
Thanks Mr B, i totally agree. I actually like these engines (after a little cutting) more then the Villiers engines, they are bigger capacity and best of all Aussie made (i think).

I finally saw a Maytag on EBay over here, but it wasnt my faourite twin cylinder version. Just the single cylinder and $600 as reserve. A little out of my price range sadly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maytag-H...pt=AU_HeavyMachineryParts&hash=item43b12a4907

While on the subject of maytags and twin cylinders, i recently learned of a Victa motor very similar (although more modern) to the Maytag twin. The Victa twin is a 170cc engine and is quite rare. I saw a complete running mower last week for $250 so i past it up. I keep an eye out so im sure ill get one some day. Heres a picture if youre interested....

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rarelawnmowers/Victa Twin Engine/thumbs/DSCF5527-thumb.jpg

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have been doing research and trying to find a crankshaft triggered ignition. Electrical isnt my strong point and my head is going to explode, so any advice would be appreciated.

Im trying to make a slim engine with one of these Victas. So ive done away with my flywheel. Am i correct in assuming the magnet in the flywheel produces an electrical charge? So without a flywheel ill need a battery? Any alternatives?

I assume i need a crank triggered igntion, the ones ive seen are large, expensive and more for cars i would assume. Or can i just get the crank milled and use points like on Buddfabs bike? http://www.pt-photos.com/Maytag_0128.jpg or maybe a magnetic trigger????

Any advice on what points or crank triggered ignition sytem would be suitable would be great. Ill keep researching but maybe someone has the answer. Cheers

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would try adapting an igniton from a small motorcycle engine. Most all of them use a small round plate with points or sensor, with a hole in the center, for the cam or rotor for the sensor.
Yes you will need a battery and ignition coil too, but you can take them from the donor motorcycle. Personaly, I would try to use points ignition for it's simplicity.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I would try adapting an igniton from a small motorcycle engine. Most all of them use a small round plate with points or sensor, with a hole in the center, for the cam or rotor for the sensor.
Yes you will need a battery and ignition coil too, but you can take them from the donor motorcycle. Personaly, I would try to use points ignition for it's simplicity.
Thanks Wayne Z, one more question if i could? Do points and coils vary according to engine capacity and number of cylinders? In other words do i need to modify a points system off a motorcycle of similar engine configuration (single cylinder or multiple cylinders) and engine capacity or doesnt it matter?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Im a dummy when electrical is involved.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You would need a condenser and ignition coil made to be used on a single cylinder system. Engine capacity don't matter.

Some old mower engines used a cam ground sleeve that was keyed to the crankshaft to operate the points. Maybe you could find or build something like that.
Some motorcycle ignitions have the points cam on a rotor that centrifugaly advances after starting. If you find one of these from a multi cylinder bike, you can grind some of the cam lobes off for a single ignition.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Wayne Z, i appreciate the feedback. I will look further into this.

I thought i should share my inspiration to me wanting to do this engine. I did mention earlier but a fellow Aussie builder named "Hillbilly" built this beautiful "Thor" replica, ive tried to contact him for a little advice but he seems uncontactable and there is little to no information available on this bike, but the motor is a newer version of my engine and id like to recreate something very similar.

Hillbilly wrote "The motor is a modified Victa from a '60s "Corvette" lawn mower that has had the casing + crank cut down and a faux crankcase added, the original magneto ignition has been removed and a simple electronic ignition fitted." So thats all the information i have to work on.

He does not mention, nor can i see a battery for the ignition system. I wonder how he solves that problem?

Heres the bike if anyone hasnt seen it, such an AWESOME build: http://bikerodnkustom4.homestead.com/gallery403.html

Off topic for a second, i will be doing my engine mounts differently but i have always wondered about his engine mounts. It appears he is only using 2 mounts, and they appear to be conrods or something similar. My question is, wouldnt the motor want to roll as it doesnt appear to have a 3rd anchor/mount???? Just wondering

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Looks like he has the ignition module housed in a faux magneto housing. Looks like 2 wires coming off the bottom of it in the left side pic . Maybe he has a battery hidden in the faux crankcase?
It looks like some aluminum mount bits there between the crankcase and the BB