Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Much as I like cyclecars, I think I'd rather have the Indian as a motorcycle. Back around that same time period there was a local fellow who crashed his Indian on a gravel road coming back from town weighed down with flour sacks and traveling at too great a speed. He lost it and ended up in the trees. His neighbor bought the wreck and turned it into the power unit for a sawmill. Cool saw rig, but I'd rather have that Indian as a motorcycle, too. Of all the really great early motorcycles, for me there is nothing with more allure than the early Indians. Of course, I am biased.
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
An interesting wee cyclecar is the 'Micron'. Single seat and its engine, gearbox and front suspension pivots as a unit making it front wheel drive with centre pivot steering. And if you haven't guessed already it's French.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Essentially though Silverbear any motorcycle could be used in this way,

After the Great War the Americans forces left a good many Indian motorcycles in France and these were used by the French in a variety of ways to create vehicles.
On the other hand it would have been pretty cool if Indian had manufactured their own cyclecar. I wonder what it would have looked like? If they had, perhaps today there would be Indian to compete with Ford and General Motors.
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
On the other hand it would have been pretty cool if Indian had manufactured their own cyclecar. I wonder what it would have looked like? If they had, perhaps today there would be Indian to compete with Ford and General Motors.
SB
I can think of a (somewhat) well known homebuilt three-wheeler that uses an Indian engine and sub-frame - the Shotwell. The original owner, Mr. Shotwell, built it when he was about 17, and before he died he gave (or might've sold, I can't remember) the car to Jay Leno. Mr. Leno got it up to running perfection and drives it sometimes.

Also, I keep finding references to Indian board track racing cyclecars. So I included a red and white one I found. I don't know yet if they were built by Indian or merely had their engines and endorsements. But here you go.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Very doable. Probably easier than a tri car to build. Small motorcycle engine like a Lifan with a 4 or 5 speed trans and the road is yours. Oh, forgot. We'd need someone to help us in and out of it.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very doable. Probably easier than a tri car to build. Small motorcycle engine like a Lifan with a 4 or 5 speed trans and the road is yours. Oh, forgot. We'd need someone to help us in and out of it.

Steve.
Something like a hydraulic sky hook would work. One wheel in back and it could be registered here in the states. Give it a boat tail.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Gas tank is around $300 at Snyder's Model T Parts with a brass dog bone filler cap. Plus $325 for the Lifan 125 maybe with an automatic trans. I'd say $1,500 if you can have access to the council tip or are a really good scrounger.

Chances of making it legal are zip but it would shake up the motorcycle meet crowd wouldn't it. The cops as well if you had it on the road and they saw it. I think I'll go back and look at it one more time to see what it would take to get it together but I'm just looking. :)

Be a good time to look at getting the plasma cutter my brother says we don't need but keeps pointing out the ads for, to cut out the frame but I'm thinking out loud.

Steve.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello,
This video-clip will show simple go-kart, but with quite interesting transmission from front-mounted vertical-shaft engine (by twisted toothed timing belt) to rear axle, across bicycle's derailleur transmission. Interesting hand-brake and a few other details...
Zoran
[/FONT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcZ8xi_iI4s
Looks like they sprung a leak at the end there :s

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota