Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gas tank is around $300 at Snyder's Model T Parts with a brass dog bone filler cap. Plus $325 for the Lifan 125 maybe with an automatic trans. I'd say $1,500 if you can have access to the council tip or are a really good scrounger.

Chances of making it legal are zip but it would shake up the motorcycle meet crowd wouldn't it. The cops as well if you had it on the road and they saw it. I think I'll go back and look at it one more time to see what it would take to get it together but I'm just looking. :)

Be a good time to look at getting the plasma cutter my brother says we don't need but keeps pointing out the ads for, to cut out the frame but I'm thinking out loud.

Steve.
Steve,
You are quite right about the question of how to get out of it, once in. At least with a Kayak you can flip it over and dump yourself out. But that would hurt on asphalt. I'm better off thinking about a sociable where the attached motorcycle might give me a means of extracting myself. Ah, if only we were younger, eh?
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I find that getting back up has to be worked out before the getting down is done. I did spend most of the night awake and I designed the cycle car in both three and four wheel configuration.

It ran amazingly well.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I like it. I really do. It looks as though it should be substantial enough for two people. And it has looks too. Practical vehicles are always so much more endearing if they look good too, I think.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Goggomobil kit car, fitted with a 250cc engine for German lightweight regulations.

See? I really am a nerd.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Thanks Ludwig, Makes sense so we never saw them here.

Steve.
------------
Hello there,
But, I saw it here in Swiss at Oltimer show and market, a couple years ago. In real, it is still ugly but cute and practical...

The first two photos were taken by myself and another three are from Internet.

Too serious vehilce for HPV with motor?

Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
They were made to go through low cc rules, so they might be light enough. The only way to know is to find one and ask questions.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bikecar-hybrid-combines-functions-of-both-makes-commute-fun/

This is interesting... especially that it appears on the CBS news site. Looks like something we forum members could make for a lot less money. Skip the solar panels, just charge it up.
SB
--------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Silver,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Really cute velocar and practical: semi-closed and for two persons! Only for such price, I could by good second-hand small but real auto and for the rest of money have gasoline for a few years![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]You are right - we could make it simpler and cheaper. Instead high technology - to use simple solutions, instead of plastic body to use ply-wood and so on...[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Zoran
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.S.: Kai's velocar is still my inspiration, the same as his computer sketches for new variants, or something from web-sites and videos that he suggested... (anybody know where he is now – still with us?)[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
An interesting wee cyclecar is the 'Micron'. Single seat and its engine, gearbox and front suspension pivots as a unit making it front wheel drive with centre pivot steering. And if you haven't guessed already it's French.

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Annie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Quite interesting solution for front-mounted, front-wheel drive assistance engine on HPV? Simple steering for three-wheeler 2F1R or for quadricycle... Only, I am not sure if it used differential? If it used - there is complication, if it not used it - possible problems during cornering!
As often – French![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.S.: Some time ago, I started communication with one French guy in business of reconstruction classic cars and making customs. Maybe I shall fall in love with French motoring solutions again! [/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I can think of a (somewhat) well known homebuilt three-wheeler that uses an Indian engine and sub-frame - the Shotwell. The original owner, Mr. Shotwell, built it when he was about 17, and before he died he gave (or might've sold, I can't remember) the car to Jay Leno. Mr. Leno got it up to running perfection and drives it sometimes.

Also, I keep finding references to Indian board track racing cyclecars. So I included a red and white one I found. I don't know yet if they were built by Indian or merely had their engines and endorsements. But here you go.
-----------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Allen,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Such baby-racers that appeared in a few periods in America - are simply magnificent! Sometimes, they are powered by Indian V-twin and sometimes by Henderson inline-4... I suppose that both type of engines are today too expensive and quite rare? But you have a choice of a few nice V-2 industrial/agricultural engines of around600 cc and with 16 hp and up: nice sound and nice look, good torque!
As was said on another place: must have easy seat-in and step-out for us seniors, especially for two persons (my wife and me)... If it is some kind of torpedo body - then to have doors, at least on one side. Therefore - no monocoque plywood body that I would prefer. Maybe some kind of coupe with integral top as structure?In any case - higher seats, just as kitchen chairs, measured from ground...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran [/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
They were made to go through low cc rules, so they might be light enough. The only way to know is to find one and ask questions.
---------------------
Hello Ludwig the Second,
When I saw it in real at entrance hall of big city fair in Freibourg here in Swiss, there was nobody around, the same when we were going home... It was dirty and looked forgotten. Being on trailer, maybe it was just bought and prepared to be driven home after closing of the show?

Making it smaller a little and simpler a lot (no "big" engine anymore), it could be light enough and good for driving in any weather, by pedals and electric-motor assistance? Body could be light plywood or even plastic-fabric. Instead of real glass - some plexiglass or celluloid...

Zoran

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I will get back to you about this. I have a microcar book with Goggomobil in it. If you have a BMW car made in Dingolfing, it's from the site of the old Hans Glas factory. You will therefore be tapped into goggo history.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"As was said on another place: must have easy seat-in and step-out for us seniors, especially for two persons" --moto-klasika

This, actually, is one of the reasons that I avoid the automobile. Getting in and out of the darned things is difficult. And when running errands, so that one must do it several times a day, it's simply torture. And this is coming from a guy who's pretty slim and doesn't have a particularly bad back.

I would think it must be even worse for some of the folks around me. But they don't seem to notice it. I sure do, though.

It's better, of course, when you can step up. Such as a pickup truck or a van.

But light weight transportation with a high center of gravity doesn't sound like a very good idea. It's a shame.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
"As was said on another place: must have easy seat-in and step-out for us seniors, especially for two persons" --moto-klasika

This, actually, is one of the reasons that I avoid the automobile. Getting in and out of the darned things is difficult. And when running errands, so that one must do it several times a day, it's simply torture. And this is coming from a guy who's pretty slim and doesn't have a particularly bad back.

I would think it must be even worse for some of the folks around me. But they don't seem to notice it. I sure do, though.

It's better, of course, when you can step up. Such as a pickup truck or a van.

But light weight transportation with a high center of gravity doesn't sound like a very good idea. It's a shame.
Yes exactly, it's why I dislike the things too :(