Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,

Thank you for the Indian tri car photo. That could be made and swapped out with the chairs. Nice paint finish and some lettering and the beer taps at the back of the box and we'd be a hit at every motorcycling event that we go to.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ludwig,

Thank you for the Indian tri car photo. That could be made and swapped out with the chairs. Nice paint finish and some lettering and the beer taps at the back of the box and we'd be a hit at every motorcycling event that we go to.

Steve.
Steve, it is a classic photo and makes me anxious for the day you & I can fire up our Indian inspired tri-cars and ride off into the sunset. Woohoo!
SB

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
It seems that an engine is unnecessary on a bicycle, - all you need is a fierce little pair of daughters :) ;)

Oh my goodness, Thank you for showing me where my alternative energy is going to be coming from as soon as my lads feet can touch the peddals

"Next hills a doozy, put some oomph into it lad!"
lol

mini-morris three-wheeler and three-saeter?
p.s.: where to find the second wife beside this one?
:S second wife? Woof. 2x the back seat driving.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The orange trike is a Stimson Scorcher, which used whatever engine unit of that type that was available.

Barry Stimson was a prolific designer of fibreglass bodied devices,although I think he's very much retired now.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
The orange trike is a Stimson Scorcher, which used whatever engine unit of that type that was available.
Barry Stimson was a prolific designer of fibreglass bodied devices,although I think he's very much retired now.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Seems one could take any small front wheel drive and cut it up and make one like it.................KOOL.....Curt
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ludwig,
Thank you on interesting information about cute vehicle! I searched a little about it: quite crazy projects Stimson made, not beautiful but funny. I don't mind for compolicated plastic bodies - I prefere classic metal or plywood aproach...
Curt,
As Europe is full od domestic and Asian small frontwheel-drive autos: there shouldn't be problem to find some good donor. I think that it could be found in a range of 1.500-2.000 $$$ - too much for me, even if I wanted to build such bastard. Some money could be refund selling parts of body. In Serbia, I could find good YUGO (infamous for unseccesful export to USA, but good family auto for us) for much less money, or even WARTBURG or TRABANT for even less, but not so stylish...

Anyway, I am still in a search of solution for motorisation of my HPV-quadricycle.
Ciao,
Zoran

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Any of you read Popular Science magazine?
My wife got me a subscription (for free) so I could have something to read in the morning on the couple of days the morning paper don't come.

March 2015 edition page 72 about the International Human-Powered Vehicle Association that has been doing events to see how fat a human can power a bike and the new record is 83.13 miles an hour.

Basically the ultimate Velocar bike that is pretty much a big aerodynamic bullet.

Taking that, a good couling with a little eclectic could really scoot you along, not that you guys don't know that, just sharing what staggered me when it's tough to even hit 40MPH on a 66cc MB.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Zoran, in Britain the Yugo was known widely as the Don't Go. In the West Midlands, this was shortened to Dohgo.

Wartburg actually had a better reputation, despite being 2 strokes. Nobody ever tried selling us Trabbies though.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
A short while ago Ludwig posted this picture in the European Motorbicycles thread........

I thought it to be interesting enough, BUT then I noticed that this particular 'fake' vintage bike is using an Albion gearbox as its transmission,
(Sorry about the photo quality.)

Not surprisingly I own one of these gearboxes as Villiers and Albion products were commonly found together during the heroic age of the British Motorcycle. Now it didn't take too long before I started to visualise in my mind's eye a similar arrangement involving two Villiers engines. 'Wouldn't that be corker,' was my immediate thought upon contemplating such a marriage. And it would be too, - don't you agree :D

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Get the timing phased 90 degrees out and let people wonder where the V sound is coming from.

It was seen at Montlhery in 2011. This is translated from Z'humorist:

The previous year, at the same place or almost, was exposed a strange bitza ("Bizarre, I said: bizarre?") So a bitza flat-twin whose engine was borrowed from the French army. This year, it is also French who motorizes this V-twin baptized Lagregus and where one recognizes pieces coming from Motobécane. To have more information and to know how it worked, you had to ask "Grég". Solicited with loud cries, the cantonade could not join Grégoire Reboul who ranked 5th in the Concours d'elegance (I will never make "look") and I stayed on my hunger. See you in 2012 maybe ... (Postscript: Since I wrote this, I found the site where Gregory tells the whole story of its creation, but I do not know where it is! ).

Last edited: