Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Annie and Ludwig,
Wonderful gearbox in combination with wonderful doublle engine - the best if it is 90° as Ludwig said! Possible way of "cheating" - doulbe 50 cc when there is limit to 50 cc (after registration "modification")?
Now, something that you may know: Villiers hub-clutch!
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
---------------------------
Annie,
Thank you - that is clean and strong construction for two-seat velomobile!
Only, I would need two modifications:
- no welding and grinding in basement of our multi-flat building (danger of fire and nervous tenants); solution: classic air-plane frame construction (tubes, plates and bolts);
- necessary to has 4 wheels (even three is cute solution), because of heavy weight of people onboard; solution: modified front part for two forks and two wheels with similar chassis;

Food for thought for now!
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Annie,
Thank you - that is clean and strong construction for two-seat velomobile!
Only, I would need two modifications:
- no welding and grinding in basement of our multi-flat building (danger of fire and nervous tenants); solution: classic air-plane frame construction (tubes, plates and bolts);
- necessary to has 4 wheels (even three is cute solution), because of heavy weight of people onboard; solution: modified front part for two forks and two wheels with similar chassis;

Food for thought for now!
Zoran
Zoran, - I've been a three wheeler rider for a long time now and on that basis I can tell you that a three wheeler would be just fine of you and your wife. So long as the seating is towards the rear wheels balance and handling will be just fine. A single front wheel will make setting up the steering and front brakes far easier and of course there is the weight reduction and improved rolling resistance from not having a fourth wheel.

Ah, - a Villiers clutch hub. Oooooo those are oh so rare and I've never actually seen a real one. The Rudge Multi transmission is an amazing piece of work, but unfortunately I've never seen one of those either :(

Ludwig, that Hayes transmission is a new one on me. When I was very young we did have a prewar Austin 16 as a family car for a while, but as far as I know it was an ordinary 4 speed one.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Zoran, - I've been a three wheeler rider for a long time now and on that basis I can tell you that a three wheeler would be just fine of you and your wife. So long as the seating is towards the rear wheels balance and handling will be just fine. A single front wheel will make setting up the steering and front brakes far easier and of course there is the weight reduction and improved rolling resistance from not having a fourth wheel.

Ah, - a Villiers clutch hub. Oooooo those are oh so rare and I've never actually seen a real one. The Rudge Multi transmission is an amazing piece of work, but unfortunately I've never seen one of those either :(

Ludwig, that Hayes transmission is a new one on me. When I was very young we did have a prewar Austin 16 as a family car for a while, but as far as I know it was an ordinary 4 speed one.
Annie,
For many decades (too many?), I like three-wheelers!
Any of combination. They have a lot of advantages: lower weight, less friction, simple solution of steering (if one wheel is at front) or final transmission (if one wheel is at rear)... Then, suspension is simple: no torsional forces on chassis ... I am afraid only because of not-so-strong ordinary MTB wheels! If go to moped whells - there wouldn't be problems.. Similar three-wheelr I saw a few times here in bern, but just at parking, nobody to ask for details, and here is inplite to take close look at soembody's property!
Still time to think, first to test my quadricycle.
--- ---
Ludwig,
That Hayes transmission looks to me as Nu-Vinchi variable hub-transmission? ...at least in principle!
Zoran

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It seems that an engine is unnecessary on a bicycle, - all you need is a fierce little pair of daughters :) ;)

I kid you not: I built something like that (though single seat) for my daughters about 20 years ago now. Those girls even remind me of my two oldest. Ones blond and the other has brown hair that's usually shorter and more hidden by hats or helmets. But they sure didn't have the 'drive' that those two girls seem to have. The help I'd hoped for turned out to be an illusion.

When my two oldest were small I simply had to figure out a way of carrying them both if I wanted to ride. Or I could ride alone. Or I could have made them take turns. But I didn't want to do that.

So I rigged up a child carrier over the front wheel and over the back wheel. Later came the trailer bike. And later, of course, came individual bikes. We rode almost every day.

There were people in the neighborhood who thought I was some kind of saint. Though one busy-body did call 'the authorities' on me once when she thought I had those girls out in weather that was too cold. The matter was easily disposed of. Once CPS was assured that I had them in proper clothing, they went on their way.

We had some adventures. I won't bore you with a long write up. But be assured that it was fun, it made for some amusing memories and my kids know how to handle a bike.

I'm wandering a bit now. But I can come to a useful point. Those of you who still have younger kids at home, be sure to ride with them. Do it a lot.

You'll never, never regret it.

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I kid you not: I built something like that (though single seat) for my daughters about 20 years ago now. Those girls even remind me of my two oldest. Ones blond and the other has brown hair that's usually shorter and more hidden by hats or helmets. But they sure didn't have the 'drive' that those two girls seem to have. The help I'd hoped for turned out to be an illusion.

When my two oldest were small I simply had to figure out a way of carrying them both if I wanted to ride. Or I could ride alone. Or I could have made them take turns. But I didn't want to do that.

So I rigged up a child carrier over the front wheel and over the back wheel. Later came the trailer bike. And later, of course, came individual bikes. We rode almost every day.

There were people in the neighborhood who thought I was some kind of saint. Though one busy-body did call 'the authorities' on me once when she thought I had those girls out in weather that was too cold. The matter was easily disposed of. Once CPS was assured that I had them in proper clothing, they went on their way.

We had some adventures. I won't bore you with a long write up. But be assured that it was fun, it made for some amusing memories and my kids know how to handle a bike.

I'm wandering a bit now. But I can come to a useful point. Those of you who still have younger kids at home, be sure to ride with them. Do it a lot.

You'll never, never regret it.
-------------------------------------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Thank you on nice family story![/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Such "tenders" for bicycles could be seen here a lot, but the same as you wrote - just for one kid! Also, all other combinations of taking kids for a ride, including families go together on a few bicycles! I am afraid a little when see kids old a few years riding their small bikes at streets between cars, followed or lead by their parents on big bikes. But, here in Bern drivers are familiar with bicycle traffic and respect bicyclists a lot and kids are quite independent. Dozens of thousand of bicycles are on streets every day, including winter period with snow on asphalt... [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]As my son is in Belgrade, granddaughter too – there isn't proper “assistant-power” for such trailer with pedals... Many year ago, in Belgrade I saw simple tandem bicycle for two adults: front bicycle was normal and rear had removed front wheel and front fork attached to rear fork of front bicycle, at rear axle... But, neither me nor my wife should be good in balancing with such vehicle, so I made quadricycle![/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
You are quite right BGW :) My daughter being older than my son meant that she got to ride with me in my sidecar outfit fairly often when she was small which she very much enjoyed. Interestingly it's my daughter who now rides bicycles and motor bicycles and is very keen on building alternative electric vehicles, whereas my son can't ride a bicycle and has no interest in motorised vehicles at all.
On the other hand though I played miniature fantasy wargaming games a lot with my son when he was growing up and he has a great mind for tactics. He's presently just completed his law degree so it's amazing just how different children can be. The most important thing though is to spend TIME with your kids when they're growing up.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Along the lines of the Albion transmission was the Hurth 3 speed transmission from Germany. This one was behind a 200cc Villiers motor in an unknown German motorcycle.

It now resides on a shelf in my garage.

Steve.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/sp...smission/NikonPictures014.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Steve, that Hurth gearbox is so like an Albion gearbox it isn't funny. I do wonder if there was some kind of licencing agreement on the design as that same kind of gearbox is often seen on small French motorcycles too.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I saw this Swedish cargo moped on EBay today. It could be modded into a nice little passenger vehicle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes...ed6d898&pid=100033&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=281606520439
1980's Norsjo Carrier Flakmoped, built at the Norsjo factory in Sweden. This model flakmoped was designed in the 1960's and continued production until 1986. The utilitarian nature of this design brought it to be used by European Mail Carriers, civil airfields, farmers, vendors and other commercial uses. Super rare in the United States, this Carrier is to date the only one I've seen.