Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding that determined illustration of intrepidness, you right arm looks... how can I say this... painfully out of place. And that animal biting into and hanging onto your right foot looks like it would be painful, yet I can see your calm resolve in your quest for the holy grail of flywheels. (Or is that your dress it is biting since I see a third foot. Nevermind about the animal.)?) Whatever, you will not be deterred! Did you try ebay? Big decorative flywheels being heavy and all, perhaps you should set your sights closer to ground. Just a thought. Carry on...and good luck!
SB

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
May I suggest finding a used manhole cover from a small city? You might need to give it some work on the lathe, but if it is from a small old city it could very well be decorative as well. I would suggest a small, old city in France or Italy but the shipping would likely be prohibitive. A furtive search closer to home might be more productive and less costly especially if conducted at night in a fog. And kill the light, eh? Good luck!
SB

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Yes that's a real corker of a picture is that Silverbear. It always cheers me up when things aren't going so well. The winged lass's stance is possibly a shade unlikely, but there is no doubting that she is Intrepidness personified.

On the flywheel front I've found someone selling a pair of old 285mm diameter cast iron push mover wheels for reasonably cheap. It might seem an odd choice for a flywheel, but once they're sandblasted and painted up pretty I think they will do just fine.

Edit (crossed posts). No need for me to darken up my face and become all furtive in the shadows Silverbear. The manhole covers around here are fairly boring and some of the smaller ones are actually made from..... (shock horror).... plastic. If all else fails I'll hop on my bike and go around to the local scrapyard and see what they've got.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The push mower wheels may work even better than manhole covers. While not really pretty, they will look better cleaned up, painted and do look old timey, which in fact they are. Two of them or one?
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Having a matched pair of them does give me a choice as to whether or not I use two flywheels or just the one. The design jury is still out at this stage.
I think by the time the wheels are painted up with red spokes and the rims done in black it won't be all that obvious as to their origins :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Winged Victory is a fitting image, but make sure you wear the rght brand of trainers, ok?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Winged Victory couldn't wear Adidas or Puma, we know.
Quite so ;)

I had to go into the township this morning so while I was there I investigated stainless steel household items that would be good for converting to Stirling engine components. Several shops had virtually nothing at all that was of use (I shall write stern letters of complaint.....), but the local ironmongers had some great items. Being a farming district a design of old fashioned tea billy is now available in stainless steel which will be dead corker for what I want. They had normal type stainless steel tea billies as well, but the real prize was a stainless steel toilet brush holder which would yield a cylinder one foot long and 4 inches in diameter.
This week's pocket money is being spent on flywheels so I will have to go back again next week to buy the items I need.

To put at rest idle speculation as to wot it is I am building here is a useful animation of a vertical gamma type Stirling engine. In my version one of my collection of kerosene stoves will be under the engine providing the heat. The fact that this example is fitted with a fan blade may lead to idle speculation as to my intentions however.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the trike idea and if you can combine it with the catatonic calliope it will be a classic ride, indeed."Ow, ow, ow, ow, owie, ow, ow, ow..." No need for a horn.
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
These are superb. Until now I had not realised I was missing a device in my life to waft the smell of burnt paraffin around.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
These are superb. Until now I had not realised I was missing a device in my life to waft the smell of burnt paraffin around.
My wife would just use lavender-scented lamp oil. She likes Victorian and vintage things. Of course, so do I. But I have no clue where I'd get a fan like this.