Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oooh, I like that steamboat! I would suppose you have seen the old movie called "The African Queen" with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. A classic film in its own right, but I also have also enjoyed the cantankerous steam engine powering their steam launch.
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello Silver,
Good film, excellent actors and wonderful steam-boat! There were a few replicas made!

I wrote that I was a step to jump in steam-boating business, but that was too long step for me!
Steam engines and boilers are wonderful even when "sleeping", not to mention when start to work, with all that steam around, noise and visible moving parts...
Zoran
P.S.: There are steam-powered canoes, too!!!

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Oooh, I like that steamboat! I would suppose you have seen the old movie called "The African Queen" with Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. A classic film in its own right, but I also have also enjoyed the cantankerous steam engine powering their steam launch.
SB
I remember that movie, - it's been a good few years since I last watched it, - but it certainly left an impression on me. One of the truly great movies of all time.

Steam powered canoes, - you've gone and done it now Zoran. The old bear won't be able to get the thought of them out of his head for all of next week ;)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was looking at the speed that the canoe in the last photo was going. I do like the wood wrapped around the boiler with the brass straps, Anne. Appeals to the old antique monger in me as well as the wood worker.

I did look up steam engines a few years ago because my brother wanted to build a skiff and I thought steam power would be wonderful. Most definitely not for the weak of wallet but what a wonderful way to power a boat. Or maybe a trike?

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Yes that canoe was moving along at a good clip Steve :)

I saw an interesting aluminummuim container on our local auction site recently so I thought to myself, 'That will make a great displacer piston for a Stirling engine,' - so I threw a cheeky bid at it and won the auction which pleased me a lot as nobody else bid against me,

Anyway it arrived by post today and the package was enormous. For some reason I'd paid no attention at all to the dimensions given in the auction description which as it happened were 19cm in diameter and 34cm in height.
Needless to say the size of Stirling engine that could use a displacer piston of those dimensions is a pretty darn large one. Fitted up on a sidecar or a tricycle there would not be room for anything else and the flywheel would be of a size that one would not wish to carry it about for very long.

Soooooo it's not going to be a displacer piston. Something tells me that it's going to be tidied up a bit and will most probably become a fuel or water tank of some sort. The screw on cap is a really good one and nicely robust so it's not as if I'm wringing my hands over the folly of my purchase or anything.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well Anne,
You'll be the only kid on your block with one of those, one of those um, whatever that is one of those of. Yes, nice cap.

Regarding a steam canoe. Very cool for a young fellow to fool with, who I am not. Much as I love canoes I am not as agile as I once was. A pontoon cabin boat is more my speed... something I can walk around on. Which is not to say that my canoeing days are over. My surviving siblings and I are planning a couple of day long canoe trip down the beautiful Kawishiwi River in northeastern MN this coming July. My sister just turned 80 and is in wonderful fettle as a former marathon runner. My big brother is 74 and a former champion swimmer, both wonderful athletes years ago. And then there's the circus bear, notable for never having grown up, who just turned 70, a mere lad among elders. My sister's boyfriend, a young fellow of 78 will round out the canoe party. We're seeing it as a way of celebrating our good, long lives and slowing down the sands in the hourglass. It will probably be the last hoorah for a canoe trip together however. In another ten or twenty years we might be too old for such shenanigans. Kawishiwi is an Ojibwa word meaning "many beaver houses". It is a beautiful river and was our playground as children "in the Great Spirit's garden", ogitiigan. How fortunate we were. The trip is of spiritual significance... of going back home again to give thanks for all and everything that was and is. It will be good doing a pipe ceremony under the canopy of stars, by the rushing dark river, together giving thanks and completing a circle in the dance of life. In my mind I can hear a journey drum beating in the forest as I write.

When I see a canoe it triggers many good thoughts, memories and feelings. I always wanted to build a birch bark canoe and never did. A birch bark sidecar or sociable remains a possibility, however... ha!
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The flywheel for the Stirling could be small, geared to high rpm.

I thought about the gasifier vs the waste converted to lpg.

It looks quaint, classy, to add fuel to a gasifier in front of a crowd. It might not be so glamorous topping up the methane converter

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Well Anne,
You'll be the only kid on your block with one of those, one of those um, whatever that is one of those of. Yes, nice cap.

Regarding a steam canoe. Very cool for a young fellow to fool with, who I am not. Much as I love canoes I am not as agile as I once was. A pontoon cabin boat is more my speed... something I can walk around on. Which is not to say that my canoeing days are over. My surviving siblings and I are planning a couple of day long canoe trip down the beautiful Kawishiwi River in northeastern MN this coming July. My sister just turned 80 and is in wonderful fettle as a former marathon runner. My big brother is 74 and a former champion swimmer, both wonderful athletes years ago. And then there's the circus bear, notable for never having grown up, who just turned 70, a mere lad among elders. My sister's boyfriend, a young fellow of 78 will round out the canoe party. We're seeing it as a way of celebrating our good, long lives and slowing down the sands in the hourglass. It will probably be the last hoorah for a canoe trip together however. In another ten or twenty years we might be too old for such shenanigans. Kawishiwi is an Ojibwa word meaning "many beaver houses". It is a beautiful river and was our playground as children "in the Great Spirit's garden", ogitiigan. How fortunate we were. The trip is of spiritual significance... of going back home again to give thanks for all and everything that was and is. It will be good doing a pipe ceremony under the canopy of stars, by the rushing dark river, together giving thanks and completing a circle in the dance of life. In my mind I can hear a journey drum beating in the forest as I write.

When I see a canoe it triggers many good thoughts, memories and feelings. I always wanted to build a birch bark canoe and never did. A birch bark sidecar or sociable remains a possibility, however... ha!
SB
--------------------------------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello (captain) Silver,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]As I enjoy to torture people - attached are some more photos with steam-canoes, this time European, with paddle-wheels and fabric-over-frame construction (popular in my childhood - among German tourists on Adriatic Sea Coast)... Why should only I suffer because of day-dreams? Would you like something about steam-airplanes as contra-medicine, to forget on canoes?
--- ---
I never had a chance to use canoe, or kayak, but as kids brother and I often rent “
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]sandolina[/FONT][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]” at beach while spent nice holidays on Adriatic Sea Coast... They were flat-bottom plywood almost-canoes, with kayak-style pedaling. Quite narrow and unstable, I am not sure if I would like to try one today. But, one fat-fat canoe could be nice for cruising on nearby lakes, maybe even on the River Aara... Boat that I am building now is something more boxy, but that is just exercise in design and building.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Silver, great that you have such nice and vital bunch of your siblings, including almost-brother-in-law! My brother died 5 years ago, so all our plans for crazy things (some we were done) that we left for “better times” - stays left for ever. I also had plans to visit with him all our important places from childhood, but he never recovered from brain-stroke – that should be some kind of pilgrimage...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.S. Happy jubilar birthday, even that I am late![/FONT]

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice, but I think it would be better in an aluminum canoe mostly so that the engine could be lower, against the bottom. Keeping things low and centered is important in a narrow craft. There's also the issue of fire in a fabric environment. I think if I were doing it (I'm not, mind you!) I would consider removable outriggers, like narrow pontoons to help stabilize it. I bet that rig is really tippy. Which doesn't mean I don't want to go for a ride... looks like fun!
SB

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
... I wouldn't feel safe in such canoes (or any other) even without steam engines! But, wonderful excercise in design and construction?

I remember when as kids we watched some German couple assembling such canoe at city beach of Opatija! They needed a couple of hours, from pulling complete out of beg - until start sailing around. We felt that it was their first boat...

For something more stable, a few photos are attached, while Annie is sleeping (not to fired us from her thread because off-topic posting)...
Zoran

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
No need to worry Zoran I like small steam powered sailing craft too :D
This is afterall a thread about interesting vehicles and potentially that covers just about anything mechanical that can carry you from point 'A' to point 'B'.
As it happens I did check with the mods that it was alright for us to wander all over the place with topics in this thread and the reply that came back was basically, - you're all having fun so go for it :)

Silverbear your planned river trip by canoe with your brother and sister sounds wonderful. Indeed it's a journey of spiritual significance and I truly wish you all well and will send my own prayers along with you as you navigate the Kawishiwi River.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm not going to go and do it, but part of me wants to take a weathered and sealed branch from a tree and use it to connect the forks of a scooter with the back end, with lashed on footboards. I do mean boards.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Well here's a report on the Stirling engine front :)

Today the postman brought me another kerosene stove, this one is a 'Veritas' brand and it's bigger than the little 'Valor' stove I purchased earlier. (does this mean that the truth is stronger than mere courage? - hum..... I shall have to think about that)
More heat is always good when it comes to Stirling engines so it will be good to have a back up to aid my experiments. The large alummminium container that I purchased by mistake thinking it would make a good displacer piston is going to get used instead for cooling the cool end of the displacer cylinder via a water jacket and sundry pipework. As to the cylinders themselves i was considering using a brass shell casing for at least one of them mostly because I've got one. It's a 76mm shell casing just in case anyone wants to know. I got it a while ago to construct a vertical boiler out of it for a live steam loco back when I was still messing about with garden railway stuff. When I got sick I sold off all my steam stuff, but kept the shell casing.

For a crankshaft I was considering buying a pocketbike crankshaft as they are stunningly cheap to buy as a spare part and will also save me a lot of lathework as I won't have to make one from scratch.

My daughter thinks I'm slightly nuts of course. She pointed out to me this morning that an electric vehicle would suit the kind of use I would put it to far better than any strange Victorian era construction. And i agreed with her completely to her great surprise. 'Oh,' she said, 'So this is one of your hobby projects then?' I said it was and she then advised me to get the rebuild on my electric Hercules trike finished before I start work on any 'hobby' projects so I will have a runaround vehicle to go down to the ironmongers and such. (good word that 'ironmongers', shame it fell out of use).

Latest News! We've just sold the 1977 Datsun 120Y that's been decorating our driveway for far too long so now my daughter can afford to get the proper electronic gear she needs for her electric vehicle experiments :D :D :D