Velocar cyclecar semi-replica.

GoldenMotor.com

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I figure your talking a 4 stroke 50cc Quad?
I have a wreck here,
Could be a good choice, especially if it comes with a reverse.
Front end can be a bit rough on some of them, but ready to go sprung rear swing arm is easy, although a little heavy.
Interested to see what you do, I have LOT'S a Quad bike wrecks.
Pity your not closer, I'd donate what ever I could.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Essentially it involves drilling the outer lip of the gokart or ATV wheel rim to take spokes exactly the same as if it was a standard hub. The rim in the picture looks like it's been setup to take spoke nipples on both ends of the spokes, but I'll have to see how that works out when I actually have the ATV rims to work with.

I've just gone ahead and ordered the quad bike now, so now I'll just have wait until I get the invoice so I'll know what the payment arrangements are.

There are at least 3 different types of these quad bikes available from vendors here in NZ. Most parts are the same, but the back axle differs in the way it's mounted so I was careful to get the quad bike that matches the parts I already have.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I figure your talking a 4 stroke 50cc Quad?
I have a wreck here,
Could be a good choice, especially if it comes with a reverse.
Front end can be a bit rough on some of them, but ready to go sprung rear swing arm is easy, although a little heavy.
Interested to see what you do, I have LOT'S a Quad bike wrecks.
Pity your not closer, I'd donate what ever I could.
It's a two stroke Theon. Thanks for the offer of the parts, - I know I live too far away to take up the offer, but it's the thought that counts.

Attachments

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have bits of them also.
I'm making an electric one for the kids.
Picked up a second hand one the other weekend for $95. needed one new tyre.
The kid loved and polished it, but was due for a bigger one.
the axle in the one your looking at is the one I'm swapping into mine and mounting electric motor to swing arm.
It is a rather light axle at 5/8th's (16mm).
The axle from he other one is stepped, but a fraction over 20mm in the middle, which I have cut to widen with a piece of swaybar. A much better axle in my opinion.
And the carrier bearings are larger and wider spaced.
This is what I'll be using on my 'Big Big Wheel' build.
Trying to get it all layed out for some photos.
This broken jaw has ruined a couple of work opportunitys for me, so will have a bit of time spare over the next few weeks.
I'm suppose to be on a French reality TV set at the moment.
As a bare footed, bare chested and unshaven typical Ozzie prospector.
Would have been fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
How on earth did you break your jaw Theon! :eek:

I hope it heals up quickly for you.

At 16mm the axle is a bit light, but it also has a 20mm section in the middle. It's just not a particularly wide section as you say. However I'm a skinny vegetarian and not big and strapping like you lads so I think it will be alright.
My plans do include additional support bearings out by the hubs if necessary.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Some one broke it for me, long story but he's looking at Grievous Bodily Harm.
I'm hopefully looking at compensation.
Got to go back to hospital and have it rebroke and plated apparently.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Skinny mostly vegetarian,
That works at a Rodeo Bar.
I'd think about cutting and widening the axle, it's only 500mm long.
I have a longer axle that's compatible with the parts on the quad I've just ordered.

Some one broke it for me, long story but he's looking at Grievous Bodily Harm.
I'm hopefully looking at compensation.
Got to go back to hospital and have it rebroke and plated apparently.
Today 11:06 PM
Well I hope he gets what he deserves whoever he is. I don't approve of fighting.
I'll keep you in my prayers Theon and hopefully what the doctors have to do to fix your jaw won't be too unpleasant.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Thanks Interpid, I'm not a fighter either.
I'm the novelty vegetarian hippy mechanic at work.
Was king hit in my driveway, getting out of my car after work, never seen the guy before.
Lucky he had a distinctive Tattoo.
Otherwise I wouldn't even be able to identify him.
I mostly remember stars and little birdies.
My Boss is furious, If the Cop's don't get him first, he might be waiting for jaw surgery too.
Hey I like your idea of spokeing those rims, I am still tossing up rear wheel ideas.
You realize they're a two piece rim, but I can't see why it wouldn't work .
I was thinking about a set of PVC 250mm 'Drift Trike'/Drain pipe sleaves for the tyres, and was thinking about making a new center section for the rims so they'd be Dual's.
Other wise some old Quad tyres?
See what my little 49cc piston port Scooter motor will push when I'm finished with it.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I guess I can find a work around for the two piece rims Theon. Once they are bolted together and the spoke tension goes on them they should hold together fine.

Spent this afternoon at the local hardware store buying bits and pieces as well as some nice fine sabre saw blades for my jigsaw. I purchased another metric/imperial tape measure too because I always seem to be searching for the one I own already. Hopefully now I have two it should improve the chances of being able to find at least one of them ;)

Building the Colombe is going to be a dry run for when I build my official by the rules cyclekart which is going to be based on an Amilcar-Riley special from the 1920s. Wood is very much going to feature in most of the structure with the Colombe and I'd like to do the same with the Amilcar as well. If the Colombe doesn't fall apart then hopefully everything should be fine when it comes to the Amilcar.

The prototype: 1925 Amilcar-Riley Special.

I noticed that builders are refitting a large warehouse building in the township to convert it into a playcentre. I must keep my eyes open for when the builders are around so I can beg some lengths of native hardwood from their scrap pile.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
You have some beautiful timbers in NZ, I really like the Rimu.
It seems a nice light and strong and waxy timber with a lovely grain.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Without the faintest clue how to begin, I find I'm still tempted to think of a way to replicate a 1926 Tracta. Why? Three words: front wheel drive. And it still manages to look pretty cool.
Nice :) Years ago when I was building a BSA three wheeler replica I took the shortcut of taking all the front wheel drive components less engine and transmission from a small car and mounting them onto the chassis I was using for the BSA. From what I remember it wasn't too difficult, it mostly involved making new mounting plates from 3/16th steel plate and welding them in place. Most of the time was spent in measuring everything to ensure the wheel alignment was correct.