Velocar cyclecar semi-replica.

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I accidently posted the woven trike (or mummy trike) in the wrong thread. I meant to post it in "Velomobiles and other interesting Vehicles".
Either way, I guess its still an Easter basket on wheels.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Staff can move any posts made and their replies if needful - the person who made the post and/or the creator of the thread can PM any moderator & ask or even just use the "report post" function & we'll tidy it up as soon as we're able :)

Do please include a link for the post in question & the thread you'd like it moved to is all ;)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I'm having to face the facts that my days for riding two wheelers and upright three wheelers are fast coming to a close. Today has been a bad day for pain and general systemic weakness which means that going anywhere, even on my trusty old Hercules, is a no-go. I don't want to end up driving a modern car (anything post 1950), because I hate driving modern cars and there is no way I'm going to apply for a disability scooter because I look on those things as the kiss of death. Once you start using one of those and stop getting any exercise you might as well start picking out your coffin.

So clear the decks and all that. I am going to sell a lot of my two wheelers keeping only the three most rare ones and my Hercules tricycle might be going too. Only velocars and cyclecars from now on which won't really be any kind of bitter pill to swallow.
All other work on two wheel projects is going to stop and parts are going to be stripped out for use on velocars.

So all of that means that the Colombe is back with being priority No:1 as I will be needing it for everyday transport. I think I mentioned that I have a 50cc quad bike on order which will be cannibalised for parts, but before it arrives I still have a lot I can do. The chassis will be wood and I have most of what I will need set by. Over the past weeks I've been buying joining plates, washers and coach bolts in readiness for work to start.
Because it's a delta three wheeler I needed to find some way to securely mount a steering head and I also wanted to have a set of functional pedals. After a little mocking up on the garage floor I found the best way to do this is to incorporate a Giant mountain bike frame less the upper chainstays into the front chassis and body framing. The bike frame acts as a brace on the front body structure and I get my functional pedals without any extra tricky metalwork. I plan on using the Giant front suspension fork too because it's a pretty tough item.
Rear suspension and rear axle layout is still somewhat fluid as I will need the quad bike to properly finalise details, but I'm hoping to use 1/4 elliptic rear springs to mount the axle. The springs I want to use are lying under my work bench so I'm fortunate enough to have most parts for the Colombe to hand already.

As I mention before the front wheel will be an electric hub motor wheel and the rear axle will be setup to be driven by either pedal power and/or a gas engine. I'd really like to use one of my Villiers engines in order to maintain the vintage theme to some degree despite having an electric hub wheel up front. The hub motor is there for flexibility of use so I can avoid firing up an old two stroke engine running 16:1 petroil mixture around the township shopping area and annoying people. (The original Colombe did have a two stroke engine by the way, but it was 350cc)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Why, with modern oils, is 16:1 necessary? The Villiers won't have the insane rpm and inertia loads that modern engines develop.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep for sure do a synthetic oil and maybe double it to 32 to 1 or even higher. Back when they were mad all they run was regular oil and to get the proper lube it had to be strong mixture. Do some surching and find out what others have done...........Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was advised by the motor bike and scooter restorer that I got the 98cc Villiers and the 98cc Sachs motors from that 16 to 1 ratio was necessary and a #30 weight non detergent was also necessary to keep these motors alive. He was very specific that it had to be
AeroShell 65, #30 weight for aircraft motors.

If I remember correctly it was because of the heat generated by the engines. The heavier oil stuck to the metal better and didn't tend to burn or get thrown off. The Villiers lawn mower motors were all cast iron and the Sachs has a cast iron barrel with an aluminum head so cooling wasn't great compared to the modern engines.

Dave is know world wide for his high quality restorations and up until he had a fire that destroyed his work shop and a large number of restored whizzers and motor bikes as well as scooters he did restorations for private people as well as museums. When Curtis, Silverbear and I met him a few years ago to pick up the Sachs motors he was selling off his supply of parts and pieces and getting ready slow down.

Here is a Smith Motor Wheel that a member here had restored. He asked about parts so I put him in touch with Dave who sold him the last parts he had and did some work on the restoration of the wheel. http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...sg=AFQjCNHgUIup9sWSH50s5oAUf_81oFSCkw&cad=rja

Steve

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Having ridden Villiers powered bikes (1950's Francis Barnetts) and then later on old Jawa motorcycles this kid is going to stick with 16:1 until anything else can be proven beyond all doubt that it's safe to use. Villiers engines are becoming a lot more scarce now and they're also getting to be more expensive. I don't want to risk seizing one of my engines by playing around with other mix ratios or synthetic oils.

Steve, - thank you for confirming what I've always held to be true about ancient two stroke engines, - they really do need to be run on a 16:1 mix.
That Smiths motor wheel is beautiful, thanks for sharing the link to that article.

I seem to be a bit better today (touch wood) so I'm going to quietly potter around in my workshop getting things ready for the build. My daughter won't let me either dismantle or sell my motor bicycles (Rudge, Solex, Villiers lowrider) as she is keen on riding them, but it is well time that I cleared out the road bikes and etc that I don't ride anymore.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
OK! Dave should know best. That is good to know and will remember that if i ever get an old Villers or one of them older engines..........Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If overheating is a real problem, I suggest not using fully synthetic oils, as they're formulated for nice cold water cooled engines. Another way to keep the temperature down is run a bit rich. This might make it smoke even more, but it's cheaper than rebores.

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Quite right Ludwig. Villiers engines are very tolerant of slightly rich mixtures and while the smoke they pump out might not be considered to be very green in this day and age the engines themselves last forever.

With my workshop finally cleared of junk enough to do a proper mockup of the Colombe I must say I'm deeply impressed with what a nice wee cyclecar this is going to be. Wheelbase looks like it will be 6ft 10inches with a 3ft track at the rear which means that my Colombe is going to be close to around 95% of the real thing in size. The 'one and a half' seating of the original will be possible too, though any passenger will need to be both skinny and light in weight.

And yes officer it's a velocar :D

Using the old Giant motorized bicycle frame at the front is going to work out fine, through some cunning design work will be needed to mount it so the pedals clear everything. Then on the other hand I'd be bored if it was too easy.

It's been such a long time since I last built up a small car and I'm feeling really excited about it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry always to hear of your physical challenges, but am also always glad to hear your words of intrepid intent. Keep on keeping on. And so good to hear that the Colombe project is underway. I'm very much looking forward to photos and narrative as it comes together.

It is of special interest to me since a project of mine somewhat underway is a 1963 Schwinn American Deluxe being converted to a delta trike with a rear differential axle from a lawn tractor (thanks Curtis!) an electric 36V Golden Motor front wheel I have had for some years and in back a 98cc Villiars engine utilizing the original Atco mower dog clutch and foot starter. I'm also considering a wicker seat and a trailer for the dog with a wicker laundry basket for it's body/seat. 26x 2.45 wheel up front and 24x 2.45 in back. I'll be able to pedal (but won't much) run silently with the electric (but not real far with lead acid batteries) or for greater distance putt putt along with the villiars making smoke. Not a velocar, but it should be a substantial, fun and interesting ride, especially suitable once I am in my seventies(next year), eighties, maybe nineties and as Buzz Lighyear has said, "...to infinity and beyond".
SB

And I challenge you to a someday race to see who can go the slowest without stalling the Villiars (must be moving forwards however).
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thank you for being so encouraging Silverbear :) The day I wrote that post was a bad one and I somehow managed to get myself feeling despondent, but my assessment is still correct, - I'm going to need to plan ahead for the day when I can't ride a bike anymore.

I like your ideas for your Schwinn American Deluxe trike conversion SB and the trailer will be just the thing for transporting the Wonder Dog in style.

A slow race? - I like it. I agree and accept your challenge :D

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
My dad used to have slow races in his 1960 Ford truck with Granny Gear.
You could not stall that thing! He just sold it about 16 years ago. Just before I was old enough to drive it. I was mad at him for that, I wanted it.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Those old trucks with crawler gears were great. Most of the ones I came across were still being used on farms. Set them up to idle their way slowly across a paddock while collecting hay bales and you didn't need anyone in the cab.

More trial fitting work tonight. Lots of measuring too. I took some photos, but there isn't a great deal to see at this stage. It all looks like an assembly of junk at the moment and the chassis only properly exists in my mind's eye.

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Something I will be making use of in my build is mending plates. They come in a range of sizes and thicknesses and are usually galvanised which is really handy.. The main structural chassis on my cyclecar is wood and the body framing will be wood too so metal strengthening hardware around the joints will be essential.
I suppose I just want to see if it can be done, - or more accurately if I can do it. Apart from the cheat of using the Giant motorized bicycle frame this will be pretty much a period correct cyclecar build so it should be a lot of fun to do.

Just as a note for those of you who might be confused by that great grubby leaf spring in one of the pictures, it's going to be cut down into a 1/4 elliptic spring and I'll only be using two or maybe if I have to three spring leaves from the original spring. I have another matching spring which is just as grubby and that will be used on the other side.
I know that quad bike axle looks a bit frail and skinny, but it's going to be carried in a De Dion-like dead axle which will carry the support bearings for the axle as well as provide attachment points for the 1/4 elliptic springs. The springs themselves will be mounted at an angle as on an Austin 7 which will help positively locate the axle.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What did it have for a motor i have a E-100 perfict out of a Austin Angleia, might be a good place for it................Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Curt, the original engine was a dinky little flathead 4 cylinder engine of 750cc's capacity, but some folk did make specials using the E93A Ford 10 engine in this chassis which turned them into a right little firebreathing roller skate. The 100E flathead Ford engine is externally almost the same as a E93A engine except the sump is a different shape. Long ago in my twenties I built up a fully tuned 100E engine with the intention of putting it in a E93A chassis frame and I had to seriously alter the sump and the oil pickup pipe to the oil pump in order to get it into the chassis. I would imagine you would have to do the same to get a 100E engine into an Austin 7 frame.

I used to have some excellent books on building Austin 7 and Ford 10 specials, but I unfortunately don't have them anymore (sniff). :(