Trek 800 Antelope Build

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I picked up a black and light blue Trek 800 Antelope a few years back. I had intended to mount a weed whacker on it and see what happened. Well life happened and I abandoned my rides. Now I've got free time and I'm going to get the Trek on the road. I'm sacrificing my OCC Stingray Chopper to do it. (read about that build here: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=3866 ) Why sacrifice the chopper? as fun as that was to ride it wasn't practical for me. Being short it was comfortable but the lack of gears made take off a PITA, and since the roads I'm riding on have stop signs and insane drivers, I need something I can actually pedal at take off.

The TREK 800 is from 90 or 91, lightweight but tough cromoly frame with standard sized tubes. It should be an easy bike to slap the engine into and get on the road.

Notice I said SHOULD. Turns out I need to shave down the 2 mounts to get them to fit the frame properly and I'll probably have to sacrifice the front derailleur too. It also looks like it's wider on the left side than the right, so the crank is going to hit the side of it.

The stingray was an easier build. Barry's mount made that one easy.

Also noticed my little engine doesn't have a serial number. Which is going to be a pain in the rear when I go to register the thing, I need a VIN or a serial number for the registration forms.

Anyone know what the serial numbers on these things look like?
.cs.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Shaving down the mounts was easier than expected. I used the "drum" sander on the dremel with a coarse sandpaper. I started with one of the grinding heads, but that just filled up with the pot metal. Working carefully and slowly taking off just a small amount of the metal at a time and then test fitting the engine, I got it to fit. I spent about a half hour on it. I also made sure that it was a better fit to the frame, now the left pedal is less likely to hit the engine.

It's all tightened up and on the bike. Got the muffler on too.

I'm debating a small weedwhacker tank or the round plastic tank. I really like the round tank the best but I like the idea of a tiny minimalist tank. The round tank holds about a liter and the whacker tank about half a liter. The whacker tank could be painted black and mounted between the tire and the seatpost, or flat under the back rack.

taking everything off the chopper I realized why I stopped riding it, other than just plain not having the time, the throttle broke.

Decided the color scheme on this thing is going to be black, silver and robin's egg blue.

I'm going to make a triangular wedge pocket of stiff black leather to hide the magneto in.

I have these old Suntour levers from a road bike that I got for free on C list that I'm going to use for the clutch. I think any way... I'm undecided on that right now.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I will need this, completely filled out when I go to the RMV:
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20017.pdf
I will also have this ready:
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/21897.pdf

Now my old happy time engine doesn't have a serial number, do any of them? I think I might go to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of number punches and put in my own serial number on the tag. 07409282008 (numbers stand for the date I received it as a birthday gift a few months early.) Has anyone in MA done this yet? It might be easier to put the motor on the MadWagon since that's been registered before and would be a renewal. It lacks gears though.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
None of the engines I've seen have serial numbers and mine doesn't either. So, as you've likely decided, you're on your own for that. Could always punch it into the magneto cover or clutch cover if necessary. A placard will look much cleaner and more official IMO. And unless you're planning on only doing short trips, that little tank won't get you very far. I know with the way I ride it would be gone in about maybe 30 mi. lol

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
@Dodge Dude, you are right, after thinking about it, I"ll be going with the round tank, plus it just looks better.

Been thinking about the cover for the magneto so I sketched out a design and made some notes:
Wedge bag idea for the magneto of the trek. Top will be open but stitched at corners the 2 straps at the top will hold it closed. I'll do some false stitching so that it won't look like it's that's simple.

Front, pointy bit will be narrow, bottom end toward the rider will be a little wider than the magneto and will have an opening at the bottom to allow the wires out of the bag. I might see if I can wrap the wires in something so they look a little better. The shape of the bag will sort of be a cone, but with an oval shaped base.

Straps will be 1 inch wide and have heavy nickle hardware. I have a black and very heavy weight partial cowhide, very stiff, and very good for this kind of work.

I'm also thinking that I'll do all the wire retention straps on this ride in black leather. The leather is too stiff for me to make books out of, unless they are very large.

r.ly.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...high man, i don't know how much help this will be as you already have your motor but maybe there is another member with a blown motor who can spare the cover.

...anyway, here is a picture of the numbers on my new kit from GasBike/Nationwide where you can see they include serial numbers.

...i'm one of the lucky ones who lives in a state that requires no registration so the numbers are of no value to me, ...if worse comes to worst and you can't find another solution i'd be happy to swap covers with you, ...assuming they would fit, i'm still very much a noob so you'd know if they're interchangeable better than me bro.

...either way, i'm looking forward to following your build, i picked up a Trek off craigslist for $40.00 bucks last month and while it needs some derailer and wheel work it is otherwise in excellent condition.

peace, bozo

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
...high man, i don't know how much help this will be as you already have your motor but maybe there is another member with a blown motor who can spare the cover.

...anyway, here is a picture of the numbers on my new kit from GasBike/Nationwide where you can see they include serial numbers.

...i'm one of the lucky ones who lives in a state that requires no registration so the numbers are of no value to me, ...if worse comes to worst and you can't find another solution i'd be happy to swap covers with you, ...assuming they would fit, i'm still very much a noob so you'd know if they're interchangeable better than me bro.

...either way, i'm looking forward to following your build, i picked up a Trek off craigslist for $40.00 bucks last month and while it needs some derailer and wheel work it is otherwise in excellent condition.

peace, bozo
Thanks for the pictures! I appreciate that.
.ride9
I'd take you up on that offer, but it would be taking advantage of you. Your engine has been inspected and mine is the cheapest one I could find and several years old. Though I have to say, I've got several hundred miles on it and it ran like a champ. Finger's crossed it still runs like a champ after sitting for 3 years. I bet it will.

Mine came with a little red and silver plate, all in Chinese with a small area where I can either use a bit on my dremel to carve in a number or tap it in with some punches. It also claims it's 66cc, though I'm pretty sure that has been disproved. lol
.ride9

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...yeah man, i agree swapping motors wouldn't be the way to go but what i was suggesting was to swap the covers, you send me the cover without the serial number and i send you my cover with the serial number, if they are interchangeable then you get what you need and i'm not out anything as i will still have the same motor i started with, just with no serial number on the cover, lol.

peace, bozo

Mar 31, 2013
RI
:) they are pretty much interchangeable, I think i'm just going to stamp a made up serial number on the little tin tag. I appreciate the offer though.
...if you have the available cake why not just buy yourself a kit from GasBike with a serial number on it?

that way you won't have to sacrifice the chopper and can either keep it for a spare ride or you could sell it, ...it definitely has the 'cool' factor and i'd expect you would sell it fast and probably make money on it too.

...$150.00 is small money when you really think about it, unless you're unemployed, lol.

peace, bozo

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can easily make a small plate to attach or you could buy a number punch kit for a few bucks and punch your own numbers on the engine. Seems just as valid as a manufacturer number to me since they essentially mean nothing. There are no records available
I'd guess 99% of the engines with a serial number are still not technically legal (epa) and I doubt very much any cop would ever be able to prove any serial number was or was not stamped by the original manufacturer. In my opinion, the bike serial number is enough.
But then again, I'm not trying to register my bicycle.
My feelings about requiring motorbikes to cost money to ride (other than consumables) are expressed elsewhere so I will never have to deal with this issue. You face an uphill battle.
Good luck.

Oh, one more thing....
$150 is NOT small money. I can buy a complete kit for $150. Why should I ever pay the cost of the entire kit to satisfy some government busybody looking for a fresh teat to milk?
Scr&%w them. They ALL drive huge luxury cars and wear suits.
Leave my darn bicycle ALONE!

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...yeah man, i'm with you a thousand percent regarding gubmint intrusion and professional politicians aka prostitutes in suits.

...and small money is a relative thing and in the context i used it i was encouraging a second build rather than cannibalizing the existing bike, ...in other words $150.00 is small money to have a second bike.

...but like i said, 'small money' is a relative thing, $150.00 is definitely NOT small money if all you got is $8.00 bucks in your pocket, lol.

...and shoes is unemployed at the moment so $150.00 is out of the question.

now i'ma gonna kick back and watch the swap.

peace, bozo

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
the bike has a small plate on the side. It's in the same place as the oval plate on Bozo's pic. It'll be perfect to etch in some numbers My engine is 5 years old at this point and back then none of the engines had any serial numbers.

The MA law is interesting. They want an engine serial number on the affidavit that shows you modified your bike. Supposedly, if you fill that out you don't need a serial number, just the affidavit. However, practice doesn't seem to be following the forms at least at some of the RMV branches here in MA. So I plan on going in with my affidavit AND the serial # off the bottom bracket.

I believe the new law and forms are in our favor, it's just a matter of the practices getting there. I don't mind registering my bike so long as it gets the PO off my back. They can spend the $40 on building better roads... after they waste $39.50 of it on red tape. While I gripe about spending $40, the tag here in MA lasts for 2 years and it really does get the PO to leave you alone. ****, I road a cruiser with a Ryobi weedwhacker strapped to the back for a year. Never pulled over on it once. That sticker keeps my eyes ahead and not behind looking for black and white.

I digress.

I really hope I'm worried about nothing and when I got into the RMV I'll just get my tag.

On a side note, my city just got a big grant to add additional bike lanes and the street adjacent to me is one of them getting a nice wide bike lane. that means I'll be able to cruise down my street, hang a left, take a right, and then a right and be at the beach with ease never before felt on a motor assisted bicycle. Also I have seen way more mopeds than ever before. More of the local college students are getting them and I've seen a fair amount of vintage bikes in the busier parts of town, this means the big SUVs are more wary of them than ever before. Though, I was nearly hit while walking by a man on a cell phone driving an Escalade.

Technically, I'm a student, so calling myself unemployed is a side effect of working for a massive multinational corporation for 10 years, and not what the government considers me. I feel unemployed, even though I'm doing more "real" work now than I did in the last 5 years of corp work. Seriously you should see my garden. My pear and peach tree look amazing, and this will be the first year I get kiwi on my hardy kiwi vines. Not to mention my tomato plants and various and sundry other items. And let's not even speak of the shizzle I'm getting done around the house. I'm getting a TON of stuff repaired that I haven't had the time to work on.

Now back to thinking about how I'm gonna get that round tank mounted on the back of the bike and how close I can get it to the seat without getting gas on my fat arse.laff

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Not a lot done on the ride today. Got the sprocket put on but want and need new rag joints and some new bolts. Will redo it tomorrow or the next day.

Made a pattern for the CDI wedge shape bag I'm making. Went digging through my leather stash to find I HAD already used that piece of black leather. Must've had a request for a book covered in it. I was kinda glad since I hated that leather. Instead I grabbed a piece of navy blue leather and after I cut the pieces out painted it. Leather takes acrylic paint really well if you scuff it up a little bit. I'll let that dry overnight. I did find a long length of the black leather in the right width to use for the straps so that was good. I did find enough end pieces that I can cut straps for all the wire retention on the whole bike. I'll need more nickel snaps though.

I might be able to get that stitched up tomorrow. But I've got a lot of errands to do and I need to stitch up some books for my etsy site. I'm behind on a lot of stuff and the spouse is getting irritated at our lack of funds. Or rather at my lack of bringing them in. Things would be fine if Murphy would stay away. I'm having the worst luck this summer.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I got the wedge bag cut and stitched, it looks pretty good. I can't wait to get it on the bike. I still need to find my nickel snaps to make the straps.

Access to the spark plug cable and wires will be through the opening at the bottom of the bag.

A few other things would fit into the bag but access would be restricted.

It's made of upholstery cowhide, it would have been better to have used a heavier and stiffer leather but I used what I had. As is this was hard on my hands to stitch. I might put something in the base to help it stay flat.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I got the wedge pouch mounted to the frame, the snaps I had on hand were not tall enough for the strap leather, so I used industrial velcro as a temporary fix. I'll get some thinner leather cut into strips and use that with the snaps I have. I like how it looks and how it hides the wart of the CDI. snazzy.

I've had quite the debate raging in my head, do I save up my pennies and buy the shifter kit as well as the 2 other parts I need later this summer (new throttle and new clutch lever) or do I just buy the 2 parts and a rag joint and get this puppy on the road?

Well, I sold a few books over the last week and had enough for the 2 parts plus the rag joint, I'm not in the shift kit territory yet. I decided screw it and ordered everything off ebay with free shipping.

I was going to order from a vendor who has a signature that offers $5 off for members with a discount code, but it didn't work on their site, and when I emailed them about it, instead of honoring their advertised discount for site members, they pointed to their current sale. AFAIK the offered but not honored discount is still on their signature. Bad business. I ordered elsewhere.

Then I really wanted to order from the vendor who is local to me (Central MA) but nothing was in stock on their website, which means I would have had to have called them or driven out to their store.

I found this instructable about making cable covers by cutting a plastic tube with a craft knife. Kind of a neat idea, but finding cable covers is pretty easy on amazon, also pretty cheap. Split loom is kinda ugly, but does the job.

I'm also considering covering all my cables and wires with paracord.It will give it a fabric covered look for dirt cheap. I did a few headphone cables with shoe laces, looks great, is pretty easy. But with brake cables? Could be easy could be a total pain in the rear. We'll see.

Over complicating things? Of course. I have to do something while I'm waiting for parts and pieces to arrive. laff

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I decided to do some research as to what it would take to get "DOT" approved lighting on one of these bikes. A daunting task. I like to have plenty of lights on my ride, the MadWagon had mini LED cheapy 99 cent lights on each side of the front fork, one big 9 LED light on the front that really lit up the road, plus the light from the horn and turn signal kit I put on it, plus I'd often put the flasher on it. The chopper had a 12V battery system and a pair of sweet chrome fog lights that totally illuminated the road. The good part of the LED system was that the batteries could be thrown in the charger at the end of a ride and ready in a few hours for more fun. The 12v system required that I plug the bike in and have a big heavy lead battery on the bike.

A complete lighting system with the cheapest components, headlight, signals, relays, brake, signal switches will run just over $100 via Amazon. This does not include any sort of battery or battery pack. Not one of the items is available through amazon to qualify for prime shipping.

Though with some looking better deals can be found than those I linked up.

Some links for lighting:
set of 4 amber turn signals $28 with shipping

will need 2 or 4 blinker modules of the right voltage for the build one for right and one for left. (Is that correct or can one get the blinking with just one module? I don't know I haven't tried this before.)

also 2 wire keyed ignition switch

or 4 wire keyed ignition switch. (to turn lighting system on and off with key)

Street legal moped head light, ugly as sin. BUT could be made to look okay, somehow.

Possibly legal headlight about $25 with shipping... Could be modified with some "chrome" spray paint.

Could probably get away with 2 foglights mounted up front. These are also available at Wally World for under $20. (Or were, I had them on my chopper build, but only one up front.

Light and horn switch for left side of handle bars.

Integrated brake lever, brake switch and indicator switch.

brake light.

another brake light, maybe legal?

Next up, battery packs.