Spandex Tourons

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
tourist-moron-tourist-moron... Touron. A descriptive the locals use.
Anyway, I was just returning from a therapy ride and had to stop at the top of a freeway overpass for traffic. I am on the shoulder/ bike lane/ breakdown lane, whatever it is, look over and there's three guys on touring bikes in the traffic lane.
As I stare slack-jawed at the high speed, low drag, head to toe, color coordinated spandex awsomeness, they stare slack jawed at the bib coverall wearin, throttle workin subject that is myself. Well the next quarter mile was me smiling at them, them frowning at me, and them looking at my back until I was just a memory.
I just know I could afford a kit and a bike, for what each one of them spent on those get-ups.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you been in a big bike store lately?
There are three within five miles of my house. At least half of the store square footage is given over to 'the right clothes' to wear when you ride. One of them is less than half bicycles, the rest is racks and racks of candy colored 'sports wear' that gives free advertising to whoever wants to put their name on it and the foolish folks who willingly wear clothes emblazoned with company names that they recieve no compensation for.

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Bike racer wannabee's.

I have enough trouble getting out the door as it is with bringing tools, water, cigars, beer, and etc. to be concerned about 'proper' bike attire. I really laugh at these guys who spend a lot of money on the bike AND the bike clothes.

Screw that, jeans, T-shirt, jacket, regular sneakers, my regular duds on a $300.00 Raleigh with $500.00 in better parts (my non-motored bike), and my bike is full of oil and grit, because I use it, not like these 'spandex bike uniformed' dudes who drive their bikes to the biking spots.
I know the type, they want people to look and think, he must race, or be a professional bike enthusiast, and he has money to do it!

The bike shops love these guys, and these guys love the attention!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Pssss...I'll let you in on a secret! Ever been on a ride with a bunch of women wearing spandex and then drinking beer with them after a long ride. It sure makes my ride a lot easier. Hey, on the other hand, the less dudes there are riding, the more pleasurehttp://motorbicycling.com/images/icons/icon10.gif So, keep on hating.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I think she needs to go on a beer diet. I think she would swallow the saddle if she sat on a bike - LOL

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I wear cycling tops on the motorized bike almost always- got most of it on ebay much cheaper than any local shop ever is-

Invaluable for carrying stuff with the 3 pockets in the back,

and I usually have my wallet right in the middle over my spine as a pad

Only have a couple of spandex jerseys- even in Florida it's too cool most of the year if your not peddling all the time-

I have a general guideline for the motor bike- I wear as much as I can for protection- but maybe stuff I could unzip or remove top layer if I broke down- NONE YET! And always the cheap Schwinn bike helmet with the motor, and always gloves of some sort

have yellow rainbow "world champion" striped jerseys in both long and short sleeves- polyester/ wool blend- very warm and good protection in a fall- and NONE YET!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHORT-SLEEV...ng_Clothing&hash=item4ac46a8e95#ht_281wt_1255
Good price for these given the material- much like pure wool- and that vendor always has classic vintage jerseys even in hard to find wool-
great for the motor bike

I also have a colorful wool jacket with nylon wind breaker type front- really warm- I got SHIPPED from England a few years back for about $15- and can't get the most chintzy sweatop for that otherwise (below)

got a nice "t- jersey" which is more like a t-shirt but with pockets- heavy cotton- no zipper in front
deep green and Cinelli logo on the back
here's one in red
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYCLING-RED...ng_Clothing&hash=item51accea61a#ht_747wt_1018

they have tie die, so that's that's pretty cool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIE-DYE-TEA...othing&var=&hash=item9508142373#ht_861wt_1018

even got a cotton "cool/gear Exxon jersey" from my team back in the '70's- I wear in a blue moon- It still barely fits. The Oil Company sponsor seems appropo on the motorized bicycle.
The spandex Italia jersey was only $20 from China and can't beat that!

These gloves are a real deal- vintage and colorful- hard to find anymore especially at this price, and vintage quality- not like a lot of cheap newer ones. Don't get gasoline on the leather!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...ltDomain_0&hash=item20c29a501f#ht_1983wt_1141

Cheap long gloves from china- not bad quality, and what I usually wear with the motor: protection for the hands:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motocross-M...thing&var=&hash=item3a80fa1f01#ht_6596wt_1018

.rd.

Attachments

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I had a encounter with a group of bike riders this weekend. We went for a long weekend to Pineola N.C. Between Pineola and Boone is grandfather mountain, we rode to the top to the entrance but decided we didn't have enough time to enjoy it so we headed back down the mountain. Its a good thing its only three to four miles down because we got behind one female that would not move over at all, she actually rode closer to the center line most of the time. 18 mph was about as fast as she would go, it took me probably a mile to get a straight long enough to safely move all the way over in the other lane to pass. When we got to the traffic light we were behind the rest of the group riding two abreast, lucky for me I had room to pass.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This is just too fun a topic to pass up ;-}

Back in my mid 20's to early 30's when I still had my 6'3" 185 pound blonde haired green eyed Adonis roofer tanned body I would dress to the 9's even for lake trips.
ZZ Tops 'sharped dressed man' song comes to mind.

Over the next couple of decades I have dropped 30 pounds and it was the muscle, my hair is more gray than blonde, my eyes have dimmed and I am more suited to wearing outlandish stuff like you would see on a golf course and smile my ass off than spandex or nice clothes.

Don't get me wrong, as my wife of 27 years still says 'you clean up nice', I just don't really care much.

That does not mean I don't enjoy Spandex, not just the outfit but the mentality of those that wear it proudly pedaling their butts off.

I have found that thinking back to the old times I can relate with these people and tell them something along the lines of 'enjoy your muscles now but when you get older think about me with my motor assist riding with you.'

Fat people in Spandex on the other hand is another story and this topic could use a couple more pics, but don't forget about the great pics of chicks on bikes. I'll have to find the pics but when I do I'll post'em.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
When I'm riding for exersize or whatever I wear a liner (for the padded butt) a pair of cargo shorts and a workout shirt from target. In the winter I wear long johns under a pair of pants I made into nickers a couple layers up top and a jersey like thing that my wife found on sale at old navy. I wear my Boy Scout socks (I'm a Cub Master) and a bright yellow nylon zip up. With a stocking cap under my helmet I've biked in 20 degrees and was comfortable. Even choosing to drink my coffee outside.
I always wear Adidas sambas when I ride. They are perfect for that.
I don't look like a "real" cyclist but I look cool on my modified 76 Schwinn continental.