Predator/Schwinn build....Tigmaster....

GoldenMotor.com

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Good morning gang,Wayne I was wondering if You had recived Your package... Silverbear thanks for the complement! The rear area of the mount has a short piece of tubing cut in half and fits the seat tube snug,and the hose clamps just hold it tight without crushing anything...The front is a muff clamp I just replaced the saddle with a 2"x4"x1/4" flat stock and welded it at the angle of the front downtube...I didn't want to do any welding on the frame, the paint looks too good to mess up!...Curtisfox,I have no idea where to shop for this stuff,and I can't find My calipers to measure the thickness but it looks to be around .100" or .125"....Its tuff stuff fer sure!....Tigmaster....

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hello Everyone, Nothing but nothing...No Quick Brick yet for the front wheel,so I'm thinking of going to 24" wheels/Thick Bricks just to putt around on and work out the kinks,if any on My homebrewed j/s setup...and I need to do a gas tank,but everybodys done the inframe tank on these cruizers to death!...I'm lookin' at the p&b can tanks too,neat but...Guess its out with the shot bag n slapper and pound sumptin' in to a tank...I pulled the gutted engine off that I was using for fitting up the drive,and put the stock engine with gov.intact back on.This is the first 99cc that has the 16mm pto shaft, that I bored the clutch for...I also had to replace the bushing in that clutch because of over tension on the chain caused heavy wear...I picked up a new bushing at the kart shop and rigged up a way to press it out/in some sockets,washers ,nut and bolt...ten min.tops,took longer to find the bolt!...Heres some pics enjoy!....Tigmaster....

Attachments

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hello Folks, I have done more to the beast,found an old front fork to scavenge some v-pull brake mounts from...Lashed them to the lower chain stays with hose clamps to see if things would fit...I hacked out a new ex.pipe and stuck it on,don't know if I'm gonna paint or polish the emt...Its a little shorter than the pipe I had on the F/D set-up,may put a muff on the end don't want "John Law" pullin' Me over...He may want to see if I am riding around on an unlicensed motor-cycle...Ha Ha!...Well on with the show!...Enjoy!....Tigmaster....

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I cast my vote for the Indian (what a surprise).

I have an emt pipe on my Panther (same engine) and put a little whizzer fish tail on the end of it. It came loose and fell off this summer while riding and it startled me how different in tone and volume the exhaust was. "What's wrong?" I pulled over for a look and then went back to find my fishtail. You wouldn't think a little thing like that would tone down the exhaust that much, but it does. Takes the kind of raw edge off of it. It is still on the loud side when I open up the throttle, but not the kind of loud that will P.O. the neighbors.
SB

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
+1 more vote for the Indian tank.
I installed a small lawn mower muffler 1/3 the way down on the exhaust I made rather than right on the end. The extra length of the pipe after the muffler creates a lower, more pleasing tone and helps quiet it down a little more.
A word of caution though: The muffler body end cap at the threaded end is very thin and broke during the polishing process when I sent it in to be JetHot coated. I welded a large washer over the broken end cap and welded the header pipe to the washer hole, problem solved. Looking in hindsight this should have been done in the first place, but I did not know that the muffler was sooo thin in that area until it broke.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
+1 more vote for the Indian tank.
I installed a small lawn mower muffler 1/3 the way down on the exhaust I made rather than right on the end. The extra length of the pipe after the muffler creates a lower, more pleasing tone and helps quiet it down a little more.
A word of caution though: The muffler body end cap at the threaded end is very thin and broke during the polishing process when I sent it in to be JetHot coated. I welded a large washer over the broken end cap and welded the header pipe to the washer hole, problem solved. Looking in hindsight this should have been done in the first place, but I did not know that the muffler was sooo thin in that area until it broke.
Just curious,did you use the 1/2" muffler meant for the 3-5 hp engines or the 3/4" one made for larger motors?
I found on my Preddy build that the combination of the longish ex pipe and the smaller muff Is quite restrictive to my engine.
When I changed to the 3/4" one the performance improved tremendously. The larger muff is slightly louder with a pleasant deep tone.

P.S. the Indian tank gets my vote

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep its funny how the pipe size efects the sound. Went to a tractor show and a guy had a 3" stack on the side of a 11hp garden tractor sounded like a big rig. The bigger the pipe the deeper the tone,just like on cars small 11/2" or 2" will give a craking sound and bigger will be deeper..............Curt

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have a 49cc HuaSheng so I used the 1/2" / 3-5 hp muffler.
For the 99cc Preddy I totally agree with you on using the larger 3/4" one.

Last edited:

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Gang,I am amazed at the #s of views ...Thanks!...I'm going with the Indian tank,just have to make some mounts and rebuild the petcock....That tank came off of a minicycle I picked up 30 years ago! the engine was toast it was a 2 smoker that was run on pure gas,no oil....Didn't run long!...I thought I could fix it but life got in the way so it was archived, until a buddy wanted the thing to swap in a 100cc Kawasaki engine!...I traded it to Him for the forks and front wheel off the dead 100...I chopped the front off the carcase and grafted it onto a 350 Kaw triple for dragracing,raked and stretched with struts for the rear shocks...I wanted an "Avon dragslick" bad! but ended up with a nice roadracing slick to roast up (I love the smell of two strokes and burnning rubber)...Well back to the 21st century... For now I'm content with 99cc's and bicycle fun!...35mph aint 100,and I'm not going to go 10s in the 1/4 thats for sure!...Its stopped raining,time to fire up the grill and burn something!....Happy Fathers day!.we.....Tigmaster....

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Gang,Sorry for the lapse in posts,been feelin'a little rough around the gills...In the last few weeks I've had a colonoscopy,a couple of blood tests and a C.T.Scan...Doc sez I have Inflammitory Colitis...And...I gotta quit Smokin'...NO...Alcohol,Coffee,Soda,Spicy Foods,Beans,Fatty Foods,High Fiber Foods,Nuts or Seeds,Raw Fruit,Raw Vegetables,Red Meat or Dairy Products...Damn!...Don't leave much to EAT!... One good thing about it all...I LOVES Me some FISH & cooked Carrots!....Its back to work Monday,so I have to get off the couch and do some work on Mybrnot "SCHWINDIAN".wee....Pictures soon!....Tigmaster....

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Wow, tigmaster! I am sorry to hear about your condition! (I had to wiki it to know what it is.)
That "no" list is awfully long, and darned near everything I eat.
I hope that it goes into remission quickly, and everything goes well for you with the "SCHWINDIAN".

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Well Gang,I'm doing better now...40 Lbs. lighter....Not the type of weight loss program that I recommend....So I've been A.W.O.L. for a few days....I have more to add to this thread to keep everyone informed on the Predator/Schwinn build....pics later on today....stay tuned...LOL....Tigmaster....dnut

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Hey Gang,remember Me?....HaHaHa!....Well I thought I'd check in,its been almost a month since I posted anything....Illness is in check,lost about 45 Lbs. I pulled apart the petcock for the Indian tank and its full of gunk...I hve it soakin' it in thinner to clean it out,need to pick up some pipecleaners to unplug it and fab up a new screen and get a new o-ring for it...No pictures this time,I know I said I would post some the last time I was online,sorry...I rigged up a temp tank and took a spin today to try things out,as soon as I hit the street the cops were down the street at a domestic thing,I putted by and they gave Me a wave and one of them gave Me a thumbs up!...I think its My age that lets Me get away with crazy things!...I have to buy some better chain,the stuff I bought was cheap junk from the hardware store...Jumped off once and was making alot of crunching sounds!...The sprockets are good so its a trip to the kart shop for some of the high dollar good stuff!...I didn't have the pedal side chain on so I found it pulls from a dead stop with no shakes or shudders very well!...pulls real good and the pipe is not to loud....Still don't have the quick Brick for the front yet...:-||Damn bikeshop,I think their just putting Me off cause I have a engine on there,and I don't look good in SPANDEX!!..HaHa...Till next time,....Tigmaster....