Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I do think about a Sportsman Flyer based tri car from time to time but it probably won't happen. As I said I've been there and done it. The Sportsman Flyer with sidecar is still on the plate though. That would be a world of fun.
Steve.
I'd been planning an "Indian" bike & sidecar for quite awhile...and on using the Flyer loop frame when I ran across some photos of "peashooter" Harley Davidson's & kinda sorta changed directions, but hope you will seriously consider doing one yourself. I still don't have a clue when it comes to the side cars except I love them. I admit to some self interest using you on point to absorb shrapnel while I learn what to avoid and what should be done lol. At any rate once I finish the Harley peashooter I'm determined to start my V twin project next. The Simplex "Copper gator" & Harley "peashooter" build are really sort of practice exercises for the 5 speed V twin bike & all 3 are related in concept by being early day, board track theme, pedal bikes (V twin will pedal as well) but using updated motorcycle engines with 5 speed integrated transmission and wet clutch.

I'm still learning a lot from the Copper Gator Simplex and transitioning from a dual down tube Simplex to a single tube Flyer frame with the exact same motor/trans. will be interesting. The Simplex had multiple "spacing" challenges, but an extremely stable platform on which to mount. The single tube Flyer on the other hand is more of a tight wire balancing act. It's not rocket science & there have been many great builds on the mono tube frames, but the Simplex sure spoiled me.

For the V twin. Will I go with a single tube or the double? Building two bikes with exactly the same motor and transmission, but bolted into two quite different frames will probably determine if my V twin rides on one tube or two.

You and your friend have a great memory together of a build that had impact on others, some builds do & others don't. I've built some high dollar cars that had no impact what so ever on the public, they'd glance once & ho hum... walk on by. When you build one that a great many "get" you can feel the emotion that is evoked & it's way better than a judges vote leading to a "dead" trophy. Build on!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It seems that well finished wood and aged copper are two ways to get peoples attention. I've often envisioned the two combined into a build.

I've forced myself to finish the tri car and get it running properly before I do anything else. I think the hard part on the sidecar for the Indian styled bike will be getting the back curved properly and tapered top to bottom at the same time. I have an idea how to do it but I just can't leave what I'm doing or it will sit here for another year.

When I get at it I'll make sure that it's documented as I go along. I have no problem being the point man at all. To me the thrill is seeing if I can do it and the figuring out just how. Having a Sportsman Flyer bike on the sidecar will make it a whole lot easier. This may just take weeks to do instead of 6+ years.

Wait a minute! I said that about the tri car too. I mean it this time as well as the last time.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Steve,
You're just the guy to sit there with one cup of tea after another giving the project a good stare as it comes together first in your imagination and then for real. It is a great feeling, isn't it! Like a magician pulling something real out of the ethers...
And good to hear that the tri-car project is coming to a close. A year from now I suspect you'll be getting the camper ready for a trek across county to bike camp in north east Minnesota pulling the toy trailer behind with the tri-car inside and maybe the Indian with sidecar. And with not too much fussing we will finish up the Indian Hiawatha tri-car on my end of things, give the tri-cars a ride down Bear Head Road and congratulate each other on jobs well done, sirs! Woo hoo! May the new project go more quickly. And yet... and yet there is something to be said for seemingly endless projects such as our tri-cars. How easy it was to follow the wave of excitement over "let's do it"! And then running into all sorts of obstacles and unknowns, finding ways around them and seeing the bikes come alive, so to speak. In one sense I don't care if we ever actually ride them (and in another I can't wait to fire them up) since it has been a grand ride in itself just in the making of them. Thanks for the good times, Bud.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's strange how some things in life repeat themselves. I spent a couple of hours going over the photos of the Indian sidecar and then half the night lying in bed going over just how to do it when I realized that I already had made one. Other than the shape of the top of the back, the Indian sidecar chair is a basic copy of the tri car chair. Upholstery is different.

I saw the light, the angels sang and Fasteddy smiled. I have the patterns and other than changing the back the sidecar is half way there. I even have some of the seat parts cut out and I get to try all the things I wanted to do if I ever built another one.

Foots tapping to the tune of, Happy times are here again.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
And even stranger is when your friend knows your morning routine. You are absolutely correct old friend. I had just lowered my self into the chair with that all important first cup of tea and opened up your post with plans to creatively stare at the sidecar photos one more time when the phone rang.

It was the doctors office telling me that the doctor was in and looked at the lab reports and the latest ex-rays and in his opinion I didn't need another knee replacement at this time if I didn't want one. The infection is gone after fighting it for two and a half years.

It took a while for me to think about that. Another 10 days in the hospital. Six months of recovery until it was really usable again despite what they tell you, even more scar tissue to deal with than the remains of the last three operations and two knee replacements. What to do? What to do?

Fasteddy to the rescue when the kind lady on the other end said you can make an appointment in four months and we'll see you in six months for a checkup. That slap on the side of the head hurt and before I could stop myself I said that sounds like a good idea.

I'm sure I heard the angels singing again.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sounds like a mostly good day & as we age that's about all we can pray for. Old Arthur must be a retired tax collector...just can't seem to leave us alone. I wasn't surprised that the Indian sidecar solution came to you. I subscribe to the theory that all ideas are in the air just waiting to fall into our sub-conscience like leaves in the Fall, most fall to the ground but some cling to us. Look & you'll see, seek & you will find..."because inquiring minds need to know."

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Just finished reading some posts about building your own frames vs. buying. All the participants held good thoughts on the matter. I've done both... on construction of trucks, cars and cycles...with satisfying results. On some projects building was the only way I could reach my EXACT design objectives, on others I bought & modified & occasionally a stock frame worked out well.

3 or 4 years ago, before joining this forum I decided to build a bike using only common hand tools and a 120v. flux core mig welder. Power tools used consisted of an angle grinder & electric 3/8" drill. Though I own a machine shop & half a dozen top of the line welders I wanted to build one from scratch like I grew up doing...without fancy aids. It was a slow go, fun and extremely satisfying cause I built it all from scratch. No tube benders, metal brakes, Tig, plasma, mills or lathes. I'll never build another one this way...it cost me way to much in time & materials and I've made a living fabricating metal for over half a century. Some really complex builds on this forum were completed as well using very basic tools. It's not easy but can be done with the proper skill sets & patience.

As far as I know the bike I constructed is still being ridden by another Old Guy... powered by a 66 cc China girl.

Waiting on parts for the "Peashooter" Harley build and in the meantime getting my full suspension (air) mountain bike ready for some pedal rides this Spring thru Fall. I love these things as well. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Curtis that post about sums up the selection of the CG 125 5 speed Honda clone that I used first on the Simplex Copper Gator & again purchased for the Harley "Peashooter" build.

I ordered parts over a two day period of last week & more than half came in Friday & Sat. 100 % of the motor parts have arrived. It amazes me how many little parts go into something as basic as a moto bicycle.

Some thoughts about selecting the vertical jug, push rod, overhead valve Honda clone 5 speed... of any displacement size (50 cc thru 250 cc) they are primarily marketed to emerging markets where fuel mileage, dependability, use of low quality fuel/ oil, ease of service and of course low cost are important considerations of the consumer. Power & speed aren't at the top of their lists of reasons to make a purchase. Neither is pollution. The two motors I purchased don't have any anti pollution features. I noticed that the Lifan clone Wret used in his build seems to have some pollution control. If EPA regs are high on your list of rules you gotta obey, keep this in mind.

The vertical motorcycle clones are not readily available like the horizontal engines with integrated gearboxes used in the side by side go carts, pit bikes etc. In fact the vertical clones scarcely pop up on Ebay, while hundreds of the Lifan style Honda horizontals are offered daily. This despite the huge sales popularity of the vertical clone engine worldwide for small motorcycle use. The non registration of carts, pit bikes etc. must have some effect on U.S.sales. compared to cycles.

Just my thoughts on purchasing the little Honda vertical knock offs. I'm quite pleased with the one in my Simplex & hope number two performs as well!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Among the stuff that arrived in yesterdays post was a wide co-axle & bottom bracket. Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I couldn't justify the amount of time I'd spent machining the Simplex Copper Gator's co-axle drive & modifying a pair of pedal levers. All I have to do now is add pedals machine the twin sprockets for the motor drive side of the co-axle and drill 3 holes in the pedal sprocket for mounting to it's bracket. To me it's a real time saver at a busy time of year for me.

Rick C.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
That pedal crank is also a ripoff of my design. At least mine comes with a sprocket that fits. They have also tried to pattern and sell templates of my INB gas tank and I see they are trying to even sell my flyer frame at a $50 markup and not even including the brass head badge. Yep, that company is a real piece of work. I have had a few words with them and they just run and hide. Sorry to vent in your thread, Rick. Not normally my style.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
No problem Pat...think I'd be a bit ticked off as well if I'd developed something that was subsequently copied. I didn't realize you had just the axle parts for sale without the reduction drive assembly & at a very reasonable price as well.

Rick C.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks Rick. If that company had contacted me in good faith, with ethical business practices, I probably would have worked with them and let them carry some of my stuff. At this point I have nothing good to say about them.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Headset came in so I pressed the bearing cups in the Flyer frame & crossed my fingers for luck. I'm using a 1957 Simplex fork and of course it was cut to fit a Servi-cycle frame and the steer tube is quite short, but it fit...barely & only with the original Simplex bearing race. There isn't enough thread to use a lock ring so I've used a thread less "star nut" and cap to jam the race nut. So I'm feeling really lucky that my plan to use the forks is now a reality. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
FFV8 I just posted on the "Vintage thread" my thoughts in detail on the Tiger Cub, "Pea Shooter" etc. Wouldn't mind having the my old Cub back either as an investment, nice look but not a daily rider. I frequently ride all my bikes year round and don't enshrine any as display pieces or only ride at bike shows or once a year parades. Daily dependability is really important...enough said.

Rick C.