Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I asked Pat the same question a while ago. Here is his answer.

The pedal bike frames and the Sportsman 200 share the same wheel base at minimum adjustment of 48 3/4". The Bonneville wheelbase has grown to 52 and 5/8".

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good information Steve. I really like the look and feel of the 50" inch wheel base (+ or -) bicycle frame. They fit my old frame, which is a little over 6' & don't cramp my moving parts.

The Copper Gator frame stretch would have stopped at 50" if everything would have fit, but because I just HAD to make it into a pedal bike, it was stretched to 53" and that was barely enough & remember Butch I also added 4" vertically & cross mounted the fuel tank as well to make enough room for engine and pedal bracket.

Though longer wheelbase does help stability up to a point I don't see the value of going longer than 50" without special circumstances & requirements like I faced on the Simplex. If that's your case the bigger Sportsman or Bonneville frames just might be the ticket and they also feature the 135 mm rear triangle for moped hubs,thick walled DOM tubing & beefier axle drops as well.

Custom fabrication of your own frame is also an option, but not an inexpensive one to do correctly. Culver City's current build using the nice Helmutt frame. It may be long enough to suit you, you might check.

I wanted a pedal frame for the Harley Peashooter build & the Flyer pedal frame just looked right... although I knew it would not be a "kit" build. The Flyer frame will make this project relatively simple. At any rate I went into this build with eyes wide open & it should be great fun figuring it all out!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Rick S. for posting up and sharing another great build. It's a wonderful example of retaining the stock look while upgrading performance and dependability with the 160 Honda engine. This obviously isn't Rick's first build. Check out the slick kick start conversion & replacing the pull start cover with more of a motorcycle looking piece. I also like the custom fabricated air intake/relocation of the air cleaner to a more open area; rather than trying to jam everything up top. He actually utilized extra space created by the frame stretch.

His photos also show the beautiful Simplex Servi-cycle fuel tank...one of the most loved features of the Simplex design. Also the forks look really good on on the frame & give insight into why I selected them as a part of my "Peashooter" HD bike. Butch I'm not sure what your build goals are, but using your Simplex frame is obviously a good option as Rick S. points out.

Thanks Rick S. & I'd be grateful if you would post a few photos of your completed Simplex projects including your lovely Servi-cycle truck & link if you wish. Great builds that will interest & inspire us all.

Rick C.

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
As Rick C said, this isn't my first build. I have been doing the Simplex thing for 6-7 years now. Here are a couple of bikes I have restored, got running, or built. The 3 wheel truck is a tribute to the very rare simplex trucks. It is powered by a clone electric start motor.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This post feels like Mardi Gras! The gator is the one Simplex should have made. Well done, sir.

RickS,
Thanks so much for sharing your treasures with us. Wow!

Butch,
Maybe stretching the Simplex is the answer. There's a lot to be said for repurposing the original frame as it is such an iconic look... Americana at it's best. Woohoo!
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
If these great builds don't get your Simplex "freak on" I don't know what will. Thanks for the share Rick S.!! I know you just made some Servi-cycle believer's with these posts.

Steve that rare, little green truck is totally awesome. Right?

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd seen the Simplex truck when the tubing was being bent and then I lost track of it Rick and often wondered how it turned out. Simply fantastic.

First thing I thought of when I saw it was that with the bed full of camping gear what a trip around country you could have following the back roads. People are going around the world on scooters.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'd seen the Simplex truck when the tubing was being bent and then I lost track of it Rick and often wondered how it turned out. Simply fantastic.

First thing I thought of when I saw it was that with the bed full of camping gear what a trip around country you could have following the back roads. People are going around the world on scooters.

Steve.
Steve I looked at the little hauler on and off since Rick S. posted even though I was was quite familiar with his Simplex truck build. I also thought how useful & fun it would be around town, but you're right about a real adventure opportunity (maybe just a long weekend camping trip for me) for those with a bit more energy. It's just so well constructed & the wow factor is off the scale. Your Indian Tadpole's got the same stuff going for it & even more rare as a type.

For those not familiar with Simplex Servi-cycles but like what Rick S. shared with us check out www.simplexservi-cycle.com for more Simplex builds.

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The around town uses for the truck were what got my attention first, Rick. Then my son was saying that I should get the tri car going and do a long distance run and post it on the Adventure Rider forum. He said it would get their attention quickly.

I would like to take the tri car to a motorcycle meet and see what kind of reaction it gets. Like Rick S's simplex truck there probably won't be another one there and if there is it would be a treat to see how close I got to being right about the measurements.

No ones going to pull up beside you and the Copper Gator and ask what year yours is either. With the Copper Gator it's going to be "It looks kind of like but then it doesn't look like a Simplex." Visions of a Copper Gator truck are doing laps around my old noggin at this moment.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve the Adventure forum really appeals to hard core riders, like your son. His S. America trip would fit right in. Vintage bikes and replica/tributes have such wide appeal with most everyone...non-riders included. I've come to the conclusion that the slower I go on my bike the more positive attention they & I receive, as long as I'm not holding up traffic. Smiles, waves & thumbs up, but go fast and loud on two wheels & you get a finger along with a curse or are totally ignored like someone looking for a handout.

Your Tadpole will be killer at the shows. Trust me. As far as Copper Gator trucks go I don't see me personally going in that direction, but I'd love to see someone on the forum start their own version. Several others are either working on or have completed Simplex trucks that I'm jealous of as well.

I checked back to your first posts along with Silver bear & saw they were dated Dec. 2010...quite a journey, covering a good part of a decade. Finish strong it's worth it!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, I thing the trucks as well as tri cars and Copper Gators will only be done by a few of us who just have to see if we can do it. I was just imagining in my mind what a Copper Gator truck would look like. It's like everything else once you've built one the magic is gone.

I do think about a Sportsman Flyer based tri car from time to time but it probably won't happen. As I said I've been there and done it. The Sportsman Flyer with sidecar is still on the plate though. That would be a world of fun.

Too many years ago I helped a friend build a walnut bodied, Model A Ford based, boat tailed speedster. Other than he was pretty good at restoring antique cars and I was a furniture refinisher and built reproduction furniture we were as unprepared to take a job on like this as two wild eye dreamers could be. It took two years but it turned out well and was a constant people magnet.

He lived on a small farm and one day not long after we finished the car I showed up as they were delivering a fairly large gas storage tank and a hand crank pump so he could fill his cars. The poor guy had gone into town to fill the speedster and it took him over two hours to get out of the gas station. He said he almost ran over peoples toes they were pressed up so close to the car asking questions as he finally pulled out. He said never again and ordered the gas storage tank to fill the car.

It's been while hasn't it. I'd forgotten when we started planning the build. It was supposed to be a quick build as well and I believed myself when I told me that too. The next one will be faster I'm sure.

Steve.