New project officially underway

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Finally got the throttle linkage figured out. I didn't have any point of reference, having never had to fabricate a throttle linkage till now, but I got it hooked up. Someone sent me a bracket from a governor, so I cut the bracket in half. I took one piece and bolted it to the existing piece that opens the throttle to have a place to connect the throttle cable. I took the other half of the bracket and bolted it to the carburetor to hold the other end of my return spring. I had another small L shaped bracket with two holes in it, I bolted it to the pullstart cover and put a cable adjuster through the other hole, and this holds the end of the cable housing. Its all in the pics.

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice one...lots of fun making them work.Your build is coming together nice.I to am going a little different route.I ordered a 49cc linkage from the fastest shipping company on the west coast.Thats right AGK I ordered it on the 30th of last month and ain't see or heard a word.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Nice one...lots of fun making them work.Your build is coming together nice.I to am going a little different route.I ordered a 49cc linkage from the fastest shipping company on the west coast.Thats right AGK I ordered it on the 30th of last month and ain't see or heard a word.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm almost done with the pre-build work. I just need to have my rear wheel trued and bend my pedal crank. Waiting for our income tax return to get a torch to heat up the crank and also order some parts. I'm a little nervous to order the jackshaft from agk though. I don't want to order it and wait 3 months for it to get here.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
How about give these guys a call http://todmillerracing.com/mparts.shtml ..........Curt
Is there something on their site that indicates they might have a jackshaft plate and different size sprockets to go with it? I looked at the site briefly. My phone doesn't have flash player, so I had some trouble viewing the site, but I couldn't find a search bar or anywhere that it said they carry jackshaft plates. I often decide who to buy from based on viewability of the website (no flash, shouldn't need it on a website that sells parts) and ease of navigation (search bar and clear description of parts categories). Sorry, but I think I'll pass.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I just picked this up yesterday of one of the fourm members post. So i don't realy know but the just about anything you need for a kart........I will look at it and see......Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I just picked this up yesterday of one of the fourm members post. So i don't realy know but the just about anything you need for a kart........I will look at it and see......Curt
I looked and it apears that you have to call or e-mail them, nothing pops up when you click on it............Curt

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Got my clutch from ccc today (thanks Jeff!), and the shaft is a hair too big. Maybe I can either shave a little off the shaft, or bore out the clutch?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Got my clutch from ccc today (thanks Jeff!), and the shaft is a hair too big. Maybe I can either shave a little off the shaft, or bore out the clutch?
Your Welcome...

You can start the motor and use sand paper to take down the shaft, start slow and work it till the clutch slides on smooth.

I have had an issue with the jackshafts in the past where you have to offset the motor for the drive chain to line up. This is why I made my own on the last build, it lets me slide the gear back and forth to line up the back sprocket. I am also able to adjust the clutch chain since I sloted the plate holes. The cost to make was a 3rd of what a new one is.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Your Welcome...

You can start the motor and use sand paper to take down the shaft, start slow and work it till the clutch slides on smooth.

I have had an issue with the jackshafts in the past where you have to offset the motor for the drive chain to line up. This is why I made my own on the last build, it lets me slide the gear back and forth to line up the back sprocket. I am also able to adjust the clutch chain since I sloted the plate holes. The cost to make was a 3rd of what a new one is.
I'm gonna bore out the clutch since I think that would be easier.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So tomorrow I'll have my left grip with hand controls, it has a high and low headlamp switch (I'll have to put another switch inline between the light and the batteries so my headlight isn't on all the time), a brake light switch and lever, and turn signal switch, as well as a mirror mount. I feel a little weird about having the front brake on the left, but its the only way to have my headlight switch and brake light switch all in one convenient package. I don't need the turn signal switch since I use hand signals, so I'll most likely remove them and the wires that go to them. The lever, from the pics I've seen, also appears to have some sort of locking mechanism, and I'm going to attempt to remove that as well. Its from an old Honda moped or scooter, not sure which as its being given to me by a friend. Once I get it on the bike, I'll snap a few pics.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Didn't get a chance to snap a pic yet, but I got the hand control today. I removed all unnecessary wires and switches (turn signals and horn), and tested the brake light switch, it works great. Has a high and low for the headlight. I mounted it on my handlebars, it looks really good. I removed the locking mechanism as well. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Got a motorcycle cover at Walmart for $20 today. I used to have a cheap bicycle cover, but I had problems with it blowing off in high winds and it did not fit well over my mirrors. I figured a large motorcycle cover would work a lot better. I will also be ordering a 4 liter fuel tank today.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey Bean I am just about done with your jackshaft... Turned out good. I will start on the chain guard tomorrow... Hope you like...cuz... I don't share too many of my parts... Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So I will hopefully be ordering a lot of parts on Monday. We should be getting our tax return that day. I'll be ordering my headlight, chain tensioner, seatpost rack, mirrors and a bulb for my headlight. I'm very excited!

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The parts are just about ready Bean...need to get the sprocket and a few little items. Should be able to send this week. American made brother....

Last edited by a moderator: