New project officially underway

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So far, I have a vintage Schwinn cantilever frame, a 98cc Lifan engine, and a Crow Cycles center kickstand. Tomorrow I will have a pair of Suzuki K10 hydraulic triple tree motorcycle forks. Future plans include an agk jackshaft transmission, a MaxTorque clutch, a motor mount from bicycle-engines.com, a flex pipe exhaust, and a spring loaded chain idler from thatsdax. I am not sure if I will be going with a hub adapter or keeping the ragjoint setup, perhaps some advice could be offered on that? Parts from my current bike will also be transferred to the new bike, as I wont be wanting to drive the current bike once the new bike gets built. Parts from the current bike include the seat, wheels (heavy duty rear wheel with 12g spokes and Shimano clone coaster hub and Worksman front wheel with drum), handlebars, luggage rack, and lights. Its gonna take me some time to save up for the rest of the parts, but I thought I would start this thread awhile anyway.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Should be ordering a motor mount soon. Re-thinking my frame choice. Got the K10 forks today, didn't realize how large the fork tubes are, the Schwinn frame is a 'skinny' frame, thinking the huge forks might look weird on the skinny frame. Current bike is a 'fat frame' cruiser (Huffy Cranbrook). I may put the 98cc in my current bike. Have not decided yet. Gonna mock the K10's up with the Schwinn frame and see what I think. As for pics, was thinking I would keep the project under wraps and then do a "reveal" when the bike is done. But here is a link to the engine: http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/engines/2-5mhp/ My engine has a red cover, but will be painted black. It also has the governor removed and the gas tank.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You will need the predator 99cc/79cc mount not the 49cc mount.I have a predator mount if you need it.You will also need the two adjustable mounts from a 49cc.I have one and a partial..lol.So you will need anothe if you go that route.I ended up with angle iron to the SBP jackshaft.I think you will like the torque of this little engine.I also upgraded the carb http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160...S_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item3cbb5fc29c you can make a simple throttle linkage out of the govenor parts.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You will need the predator 99cc/79cc mount not the 49cc mount.I have a predator mount if you need it.You will also need the two adjustable mounts from a 49cc.I have one and a partial..lol.So you will need anothe if you go that route.I ended up with angle iron to the SBP jackshaft.I think you will like the torque of this little engine.I also upgraded the carb http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160...S_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item3cbb5fc29c you can make a simple throttle linkage out of the govenor parts.
I dont have the governor parts, it was already removed when I got the engine. Pm me and let me know what you want for the engine mount and the other parts.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, thanks to MotoMagz (big thanks, I might add) I will have a motor mount as well as quite a few other parts in a few days or so, and I will also hopefully be ordering my clutch in a few days.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
OK another one to watch i loove these small engine builds. I have a G100 i am thinking of useing.................Curt

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Will be watching too, or at least waiting for the 'reveal' :( c'mon, you can show us some build pics, we live on build pics :p

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Will be watching too, or at least waiting for the 'reveal' :( c'mon, you can show us some build pics, we live on build pics :p

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
Sorry about the pics lol, maybe a little teaser here and there, closeups of my paintjob maybe, haha. But killer, you said a couple months back that the ht engines are basically toys and not meant to be used as transportation. I finally agree with you, unfortunately its taken me 3 years, 4 engines, 2 bikes, and several thousand dollars overall to come to that conclusion. Better late than never, I guess. What I'll be spending to build my 4 stroke is nothing compared to what I've already spent fixing my 2 strokes.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, some time in the next few days I'll be ordering my clutch, and maybe early next week I'll have a box full of spare parts including two motor mounts and various other parts. Next month I'll be getting a hub adapter, and we'll see what happens next after that.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So I have enough money to order the clutch, but decided instead to save that money and put it towards a sprocket adapter, which I'll be ordering in a couple weeks if not sooner. I'm going to owe some money to a couple people who have helped me out, and I'm going to pay them back before ordering anything else, once I get my sprocket adapter. So it might be a little ways down the road yet till I have enough money to order the rest of the parts. Not that I owe a ton of money, but I have bills and things too. So just keep watching this thread, and when I have news, you'll have it lol.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I've subscribed so I'll know when something is happening again. You've got me seriously considering that Lifan 98 as well. Keep us posted.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Otto, if you can afford the 98cc Lifan or the 79cc or 99cc Predator, I would definitely pick one up. I would even check Craigslist in your area and see what you can find. I got lucky and got the 98cc Lifan for $50. If you get the Lifan engine at Lowe's or Home Depot, it most likely will be overhead valve (ohv) and not flathead. Mine is a flathead, and I theorize that there are 2 different versions of this model of engine. I could be wrong, but I think that the ohv version is for power equipment and the flathead version is for minibikes. I dont know exactly what differences there might be between the two, but either one would be a strong runner. But the 98cc Iifan and the 79cc and 99cc Predators can all accept the agk transmission or the ezm qmatic transmission. The agk transmission only costs about half as much as the qmatic, but the qmatic is also a very high quality piece of equipment. I'm going with the agk to save money.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I have one in the Home Depot cart that says it's a LIFAN 2.5 HP Side Valve Recoil Start Horizontal Shaft Engine. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on it if that sounds like the right one. If I get it, and it's an OHV, I will probably take it back as I want a vertical cylinder in the frame triangle, and I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads-up on the two transmissions. I have read many good things about the EZMatic, but the price is a bit high for me at this time. I, too, may go with the AGK for the reasons you stated. I wish there was a kit available sans engine, that wood include all of the supporting pieces needed. I guess I'll just have to figure them all out as I go.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Unfortunately I can not tell from the picture, because the gas tank covers the head, whether it is a flathead. But the description does say side valve, so that means its not ohv. If you get it and it is ohv, just take it back for a refund, but I'm pretty sure thats a flathead.