New project officially underway

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Good work BBB! I am being torn in two directions now. Can't decide between the 98cc 2.5 or go all out with a Honda GX120! Time to make a list for the next build! Very nice bike!!
Thanks, bro. My opinion, if you're looking for serious power/racing, go with the gx. If you're building a cruiser/daily driver, you'll be very pleased with the Lifan.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I want a daily rider that can just about push 40mph or so. Keeping up with traffic is a must where I live. These fools had to have gotten those crackerjack licenses. No joke. I will definitely be buying one of these motors just for funs sake if nothing else. Might put it on my scooter,if I can ever finish it that is.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I geared mine at 12.44:1 (11t-28t-9t-44t) and I have a top speed of 33mph. I can cruise between 25-30 beauitfully. I think if you geared it just a little higher, it could do 40 pretty smoothly. I chose the lower gearing for better hill climbing ability.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Same here, its hilly and there's a lot of stop and go. Under normal almost tolerable noise levels I'm cruising at around 35ish, which is eye opening for me on a bike lol.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
So here is a couple little updates. The first is that I ordered some new saddlebags, they are called m-wave day tripper panniers, and they should be here by Thursday. The second is that while the engine I'm using is decent and reliable and I'm happy with the top speed, I'm not all that impressed with the hill climbing ability, so I'm considering switching to a Predator engine. IF I do switch engines, I'll be making some minor changes, including a clutch that engages at above 3000 rpm (current clutch engages at 2700) and a slight change in gearing. Current gearing is 11t-28t-9t-44t. The new gear ratio would change the rear sprocket from 44t to 48t. I will debate on it some more and update again when I make a final decision.

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
If it's a max torque clutch, all you do to change when the clutch engages is put a heavier spring in it. I did that to my 99 Whizzer.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I may just change the spring and see how that does. I don't want to lose any top speed. I think just changing the stall speed may make a big difference. I'll need your help with changing the spring though, Jay.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If I change to a Predator, I will change the gearing. I'm gonna run this motor for awhile yet and then make some decisions. Its been cold here some days, and a buddy told me some small engines won't perform as well in the cold. The day that I was having trouble climbing hills, it was in the evening and it was pretty chilly outside, and it was one particular hill I had trouble on. So I'm gonna wait till it gets nice and warm, and try the same hill again and see if there is any difference. If there is any improvement, I'll keep this engine. If there is not, I'll most likely be making the switch. Also gonna change my clutch spring before trying that hill again.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't mind working out the kinks. My new saddlebags will be here tomorrow, so I'll be able to carry a few tools with me for emergencies, but so far I haven't been stranded once. That's what really matters.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If I change to a Predator, I will change the gearing. I'm gonna run this motor for awhile yet and then make some decisions. Its been cold here some days, and a buddy told me some small engines won't perform as well in the cold. The day that I was having trouble climbing hills, it was in the evening and it was pretty chilly outside, and it was one particular hill I had trouble on. So I'm gonna wait till it gets nice and warm, and try the same hill again and see if there is any difference. If there is any improvement, I'll keep this engine. If there is not, I'll most likely be making the switch. Also gonna change my clutch spring before trying that hill again.
Makes me wonder if your carb is jetted right? just wondering...........Curt

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Hi Matt, glad to hear the bike has been relatively trouble free for you. I wouldn't worry about the jetting if your plug coloration looks okay, my clone motor will feel like it loses power when a big gust of cold air goes into the carb, I usually throttle up in this case to make sure it doesn't lean out. Like you, my plug chops look great, on the rich side but when the air gets really cold all of a sudden it loses power for sure, unless I twist the throttle and give it more gas to go with that extra air its getting.

Air temperature is such a transient thing that you can't really jet for it in the spring and fall, especially with all this global warming crazy weather! I've just limited my riding to days where I would find it comfortable, because I know the air will be warm enough. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but if not you could try adding an airbox, which also helps with sound and can help with cold air gusts if it is allowed to be warmed by the engine a bit and has enough surface area to transfer heat to the intake air.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would expect most engines to perform better in cold, dense air. Everything else being equal,a cooler denser charge means more power.
Jetting sounds epa lean to me.
Most of the imported engines I've messed with needed more fuel to run good.
I'd be looking into a better motorcycle style carb for better mixture control.
The stationary engine design was not meant for full time throttle control, it was built to run at a governed rpm. Changing to a better design carb will bring out the full potential of any imported epa engine.
Your results may vary.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not going to re-jet, even if it is "epa lean". I think I'm probably gonna stick with this engine, just change to a higher stall speed. I don't feel like tearing the bike apart. I did get my saddlebags today, though and I'm pretty happy with them. For $25 and they're big enough to fit probably 3 full grocery bags each, I'd say its a good deal. If you want to find them on Amazon, they're called M-Wave Day Tripper panniers.