Set your own timing with stock magneto magnet

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
I was looking at offset woodruff keys for changing the timing on my motor and then it dawned on me to just spin the magnet so the slot is at the "7" o'clock position and use a hacksaw blade and file to cut a new keyway on the other side closer to the tdc of the magnet.

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet but I'm just about to rn. I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully it will work. I'm going to set my hole back about the thickness of a paper match... Maybe a little less. Shooting for about 4% offset.

Setting it back will make it run smoother correct?

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
It works. I stripped one layer of laminate from the paper match stick for my thickness and I've gotten control of the carbonation ... ( the layman's interpretation of the atomization of gas molecules mixing with the atmospheric condition at that moment.)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
One must always be very careful when messing with the timing of air-cooled engines.

If you add too much advance, the engine will feel more powerful, but it will run too hot & burn up.
33 degrees BTDC is about the max you should run.

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
One must always be very careful when messing with the timing of air-cooled engines.

If you add too much advance, the engine will feel more powerful, but it will run too hot & burn up.
33 degrees BTDC is about the max you should run.
I was going for the retard to make it run smoother. Not by much either just a little bit. From everything I've read in the forums about 4° retard is about right. Is that correct Norm?

The motor is definitely smoothed out. It doesn't quite feel so punchy but it's smooth.

Reactions: Venice Motor Bikes