New Flying Horse 80 kit

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Great thread BN. Really enjoying it.
Thanks Dan. I'm convinced that even though I had to do some minor assembly on this motor out of the box, it's the best motor I've had so far, and has the best crankshaft. Even though it vibrates a little like all singles, it feels smooth as glass compared to every other 80 I've had, including the one I balanced.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just ripped off about 5 miles riding around the big block. Cruising about 30 mph and getting up to 33 a couple times. I throttled back because we're still in full breakin mode.

I never got more than a mile and a half from my house, just in case. I guess I'm going to have to get farther from the house to test it lol.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just passed 231 miles. No more stalling since I changed the cdi. My confidence level is getting back to normal. It's running great. There's less than 1/4 gallon of 22:1 left. I've already mixed a gallon of red line @ 32:1. I think I'll start letting it rev a little more soon.

The NGK BP6HS is working really well as a replacement for the stock plug.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
well I got a chance to cruise around last weekend while camping but not much.
This evening I got tired of sitting in the house even though it was over 100 outside,so I jumped on the bike rode around the block a few times and it seemed well so I took off for about an 30 min. I got a few full throttle blasts in and it seemed that the power is reallying compng around, seemed like a turd up til today. Once it warmed up the mid range was goon and responded well to throttle

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
well I got a chance to cruise around last weekend while camping but not much.
This evening I got tired of sitting in the house even though it was over 100 outside,so I jumped on the bike rode around the block a few times and it seemed well so I took off for about an 30 min. I got a few full throttle blasts in and it seemed that the power is reallying compng around, seemed like a turd up til today. Once it warmed up the mid range was goon and responded well to throttle
Mine has good mid range too. This motor handles the speed carb a lot better then my 48cc motor. The 48 would bog a little if you gave it full throttle at lower speeds. This bigger motor pulls, and sounds like a moped in the midrange.

Don't worry about the top end till after you get at least 250 miles, and are running normal premix ratios.

With 231 miles I've just started to notice it's loosening up on the top end a little. I'm running a 36T sprocket, and a 68 jet. The needle clip is one down from the top.

This motor is so quiet mechanically, and exhaust wise, that at lower speeds people can't tell if it's gas of electric. The last motor I had that was another brand, that I took completely apart out of the box, and replaced all the bearings with japanese bearings was quiet like this one too. All the others made all kinds of loud racket.

I'm almost ready to start finding out about the top end. I already know it's going to be good though, because I have to throttle back at 33 mph or it would start zooming into high revs. I'd like to be running a better fuel ratio before doing that.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
I am running honda syn oil mixed @ 28:1. I had the gas mixxed up from my first engine.
I got a new set of rims and really need to change them or atleast the front since it is bent really bad from falling off a bike rack on the fwy

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I am running honda syn oil mixed @ 28:1. I had the gas mixxed up from my first engine.
I got a new set of rims and really need to change them or atleast the front since it is bent really bad from falling off a bike rack on the fwy
That's a good ratio for break in, especially with synthetic oil.

MBs are pretty hard on wheels just generaly. The freeway is probably a lot worse lol.

I'm on my third set of wheels. Double wall are the only way to go.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
That's a good ratio for break in, especially with synthetic oil.

MBs are pretty hard on wheels just generaly. The freeway is probably a lot worse lol.

I'm on my third set of wheels. Double wall are the only way to go.
it kinda gives you an uneasy feeling when your doing 30mph watching the front wheel wobble thinking that if it taco's you wont have any front teeth

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just finished 3 gallons of gas, running 22:1 ratio. Total mileage was 248.6 miles, which is equal to 82.87 mpg.

Now I've changed the ratio to 32:1. I swear as soon as I switched the ratio it felt more powerful. I'm probably going to to run 2 gallons at this ratio, before going back to 50:1. We'll see how it feels after the next gallon.

The motor only now with 250 miles on it, is just starting to loosen up. It still feels and sounds tight. I think this break in will take a little longer than normal, because of the synthetic oil.

Top speed to date is 35.1 oops, I was backing off the throttle at the time too. This happened the first time I rode around the hood on the new ratio.

I just finished the fourth gallon, now running 32:1. The tank ran dry showing 335.6 miles on the speedo. That's equal to 87 mpg, a slight improvment over the last 3 gallons.

It's running real good now. I'm thinking it's probably broken in pretty well. It's been up to 36.1 mph and headed higher, when I backed off the throttle

I've started on the fifth gallon. I changed the mix ratio to 36:1. This is the last break in mix I'm planning to use. After this gallon it's back to 50:1

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just finished 3 gallons of gas, running 22:1 ratio. Total mileage was 248.6 miles, which is equal to 82.87 mpg.

Now I've changed the ratio to 32:1. I swear as soon as I switched the ratio it felt more powerful. I'm probably going to to run 2 gallons at this ratio, before going back to 50:1. We'll see how it feels after the next gallon.

The motor only now with 250 miles on it, is just starting to loosen up. It still feels and sounds tight. I think this break in will take a little longer than normal, because of the synthetic oil.

Top speed to date is 35.1 oops, I was backing off the throttle at the time too. This happened the first time I rode around the hood on the new ratio.
I just finished the fourth gallon, now running 32:1. The tank ran dry showing 335.6 miles on the speedo. That's equal to 87 mpg, a slight improvment over the last 3 gallons.

It's running real good now. I'm thinking it's probably broken in pretty well. It's been up to 36.1 mph and headed higher, when I backed off the throttle

I've started on the fifth gallon. I changed the mix ratio to 36:1. This is the last break in mix I'm planning to use. After this gallon it's back to 50:1

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I went over the my bike with a fine tooth comb today, looking for a source of the weird vibration I noticed last night, and I think I found it. The rear motor mount was getting loose. After I tightened it up everything seemed back to normal, except it still feels a little faster through the whole powerband.

Geo

May 8, 2012
Florida
I bought one identical to yours. We are still in the process of assembling it. We are putting it on a 29" Genesis Onyx Cruiser. The large Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter fits the hub and clears the spokes, however we need to make custom front and rear motor mounts because the frame tubing is so huge. Also we had to get different handle bars because the grips in the kit are for smaller sized handle bars.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I bought one identical to yours. We are still in the process of assembling it. We are putting it on a 29" Genesis Onyx Cruiser. The large Manic Mechanic sprocket adapter fits the hub and clears the spokes, however we need to make custom front and rear motor mounts because the frame tubing is so huge. Also we had to get different handle bars because the grips in the kit are for smaller sized handle bars.
Be and check the motor over. I did find a few things that needed attention on mine. This is the best 80 motor I've had out of 4 motors. Good luck with your build.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Tonight I was flying along about 35 mph, and all of a sudden it backfired one pop, and the motor died. Luckly I was only 2 miles from home.

I ohmed out the magneto coil and it was open. After installing a new one, it started first pop.

Now I thinking last week when it died, it may not have been the CDI box like I thought. Maybe it was the magneto coil going bad. At that time when I ohmed it out there was 350 ohm, so that's why I replaced the CDI.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The recorded top speed on the odo now is 37.8 mph. It's running so smooth now, that honestly I can't tell any, or much difference from the 50 motor. This is by far the smoothest 80 motor I've ever had. It feels fine with 35 mph, which is about 7000 rpm.

Now that I'm running 36:1 the spark plug looks about prefect with a 68 jet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last night I did a 40 mile cruise. This polished off the last of my breakin fuel. I've run a total of 5 gallons through it in all.

Somehow my trip meter got reset, so I wasn't able to get fuel mileage for this gallon. I consider the motor broken in now, and will from now on be using normal mix ratios.

37.8 mph is the top recorded speed. I was on a slight downhill at the time. This motor isn't the fastest motor I've had, but it's the smoothest, and quietest. It's feels very torquey in the mid range, and that's where I like to ride it. When cold it starts with in 8 feet every time with no choke. When warm it starts first pop. It has the best idle of any china girl motor I've had so far. I attibute part of that to the Speed carb. It always seems to have a good idle on any motor I try it on.

I'm really happy with the way it's running, and it's become very dependable. Last night I didn't even carry any tools with me, and didn't need any.