New Flying Horse 80 kit

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
my flying horse runs great now. I'm going faster than I ever thought this engine could do. I have had the RT carb from thatsdax for a while now. Comes jetted way rich, so I dropped to the included 70. It was still too rich so I recently put in a 65 (next step down for what he has) and it runs amazing now. I'm at over 5200 feet though. I have a 44 tooth sprocket because I have some very steep hills for something like this bike, even cars will lug up one of them. I've gotten up to 28mph on a gps but that was on a 100m stretch so maybe it was going faster when I was on the road. Of course I risk some gnarly damage revving it that high.
Oil is 100:1 opti-2.

I don't have anything to compare it to though, but since this thread is about the flying horse.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
my flying horse runs great now. I'm going faster than I ever thought this engine could do. I have had the RT carb from thatsdax for a while now. Comes jetted way rich, so I dropped to the included 70. It was still too rich so I recently put in a 65 (next step down for what he has) and it runs amazing now. I have a 44 tooth sprocket because I have some very steep hills for something like this bike, even cars will lug up one of them. I've gotten up to 28mph on a gps but that was on a 100m stretch so maybe it was going faster when I was on the road. Of course I risk some gnarly damage revving it that high.
Oil is 100:1 opti-2.

I don't have anything to compare it to though, but since this thread is about the flying horse.
Thanks for posting. It's nice to be able to compare 2 of the same motors. I'm sure with a 44T your bike must pull up hills like crazy. Mine with a 36T does pretty good on the little hills around my house.

With a 44T 28 is about as fast as I would push it. That's got to be 7000+ rpm. My friend has a 44T and he said he did 30 mph before.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
my buddys bike i just built in the beginning of this month. goes 35 mph top speed and cruises at 30 mph with a 44t on 26 inch rims. motor runs flawlessly. at those rpms it starts to vibrate pretty bad around 34 mph normally keep it around 30 unless its heavy traffic and need to get outta peoples way.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
35?? are you sure? I don't know if this engine is physically capable of that. Maybe though..? I know what you mean about the vibration though, it's quite a high frequency. I think it isn't too bad now, or maybe I'm used to it. If you ever get a lady on the seat, they like the vibrations.. ;)
All I read about these engines is how easily they can blow up, but it seems like if you look hard enough that there are plenty of people who ride them hard and have no issues. Maybe the claimed japanese bearings in the flying horse really does make a huge difference?

44t is great on hills, but I still experience quite a drop in speed on some of them. Do you know how much hp these motors make at 7k rpm? If it's 2.5 then that 9hp ktm must be insane to ride.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
ive seen a jet motor a grubee sky hawk and a flying horse and outta of all of em the flying horse winds up the highest and has the most get up and go. im also running puch heads on em with port and polish and after market exhausts my sky hawks bike only goes 32 with a 40 t but my flying horse with a 40 t goes 38 top speed.

marathonman

Aug 13, 2012
wisconsin
I have one I just installed. I can't say that I'm happy with it. I still haven't been able to get it running. I have spark and fuel. Then engine turns over.
The instructions that came with it are not the best. I did most of my research on the internet. A lot of information out there. The chain idler is bad news. I can't believe everything on it is made so cheaply. Is their something made in USA that I can buy to replace this one. I would like to send it back but that I sure will also be a large headack

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
try regaping your spark plug also you may have spark but it may not be strong enough test your cdi and coil with a volt meter.

also if you turned your motor over with out the spark plug hooked up to the cdi and the cdi hooked up the the mag theres a chance you fried the cdi

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
also if you turned your motor over with out the spark plug hooked up to the cdi and the cdi hooked up the the mag theres a chance you fried the cdi
This is very true. It's not even like a chance, more like it's fried. It can take a couple days before it acts up though.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Man I work in a small engine shop and gotta say everything I touch I check for spark and how hot the currant is if I have too. With one of these. https://www.google.com/search?q=the..._pw.r_qf.&fp=3f23cc0d1fd7f2d8&biw=802&bih=462

If it cant jump the gap it was junk anyway. I make that spark jump a gap to prove how good it is. These china motors H.T's get to sound more fragile all the time. lol I can't count how many times I forgot to put a plug back in something because I got pulled away from the job etc and hit the starter or pulled the rope and nothing ''ever failed '' because of it.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today I did some tuning 101.

I went on a long ride, about 38 miles. This was the first long ride on 50:1 ratio. So far it has started well cold, had good idle, and good throttle response. I started out 22:1 ratio over 500 miles ago, and slowly increased the ratio to 35:1, before finally calling it done, and now run 50:1.

Remember this is a speed carb, with a 68 jet. The needle clip has always been in the next to the top position. My spark plug looks great.

So today on my first, post break in ride I noticed the fueling didn't feel that good till it got up to about 27 mph. Below that, it was slightly 4 stroking the whole time. Seemed even worse at 23 mph. It was never doing this before, on the higher oil ratios.

So after I got home I decided to move the needle to the leanest position. This had a dramatic effect on the tuning. Much more than I expected.

What changed after moving the needle, is now it's harder to start cold. Immediately after the first start up, the idle was racing. I had to lower the slide a bunch to get the idle down to normal. There's no trace of 4 stroking now. It cruises buttery smooth at low speeds now. High speed running seems the same as before, and is good.

After adjusting the idle, now it idles really good. Moving the needle one needle groove seems like it made a lot of difference in this case. I also notice a lot of difference in the way it runs on the lower oil ratio gas. I'm hoping my fuel mileage will improve now. I only was getting about 80 mpg on todays ride, and the last couple of rides.

Since I have 2 fuel bottles, I can vary my speed one bottle to the next. The first bottle I cruised about 24-27 mph. When it ran dry after about 20 miles, I was already on my way home. i picked up the pace a little to 30-33 mph. It seemed like it got as good or better mileage going faster. That makes me believe it was running poorly at low speed.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Can you do a recap of what you have on this bike in the way of the engine and all the settings? brnot
I haven't done much to it.
Flying Horse 80.
Speed carb with 68 jet
After market air filter
The needle is in the leanest position.
MM shorty intake manifold.
Modified stock muffler. Mainly just a stock muffler with the cat removed.
NGK BP6HS spark plug 0.030" gap
I run Red Line racing 2 stroke oil @ 50:1.
The head bolts are torqued to 125 in lbs.
36T rear sprocket

That's all I can think of right now. If I didn't mention it, it's probably stock.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last night I went riding with the new tuning. New tuning is, 50:1 ratio. Needle in leanest position. 68 jet. Speed carb.

It runs drastically different after this change. Instead of starting instantly with no choke, and running well from cold, now it's hard starting cold with no choke. Warm up now takes a long time. After warm up is complete, it idles well. The spark plug looks great. Dark tan/brown. The way it's running now seems a lot more normal than the way it's been running.

After it gets fully warmed up, It runs well. The top end is great.

The bottom end seems maybe a little weak, but it may be normal for a speed carb, and crappy exhaust. What's different about the bottom end compared to before changing the needle position is, now is it's running smooth with no 4 stroking.

I'm pretty sure the gas mileage will go up, but I haven't proved that yet. I was getting about 80 mpg before, cruising about 25. Now I want to see 120 mpg or close to it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last night I went riding with the new tuning. New tuning is, 50:1 ratio. Needle in leanest position. 68 jet. Speed carb.

It runs drastically different after this change. Instead of starting instantly with no choke, and running well from cold, now it's hard starting cold with no choke. Warm up now takes a long time. After warm up is complete, it idles well. The spark plug looks great. Dark tan/brown. The way it's running now seems a lot more normal than the way it's been running.

After it gets fully warmed up, It runs well. The top end is great.

The bottom end seems maybe a little weak, but it may be normal for a speed carb, and crappy exhaust. What's different about the bottom end compared to before changing the needle position is, now is it's running smooth with no 4 stroking.

I'm pretty sure the gas mileage will go up, but I haven't proved that yet. I was getting about 80 mpg before, cruising about 25. Now I want to see 120 mpg or close to it.
Today I didn't like the way it's running. It's hard to start. Takes forever to warm up. The low speed fueling is ok once it's warm, but when I whack it wfo it kind of slightly bogs all the way to the red line. Low speed roll ons feel flat.
Even so, it still runs 35 mph.

But it's too hard to start now. If that's all it'll do I'd rather go back to the second needle clip position and live with it.

I decided to change the jet size down one, to a 66. I put the needle back in the second leanest position. Still 50:1 mix.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Could it be it doesn't like the fuel oil mix that you are running?
There's no denying that when the mix ratio got higher than about 34:1 it changed the tuning, making it richer. After that it started not liking the 68 jet as much.

Last night I rode it a little with a 66 jet. It was still harder to start than I like, but it warmed up faster, and after that, I thought it was running really well. I didn't notice any 4 stroking at low speed, or high. Bottom end felt a little better. Whacking the throttle at different speeds, I didn't notice any bogging. Acceleration seemed better all the way from bottom to top.

The biggest difference was how smooth it was running at high speed. Normally I can tell when it gets up to 30 by how the vibration feels. Last night night it was zooming up to 30 so fast, and running so smooth, I couldn't tell when it got there without looking at the speedo. I blasted it up to 35 once.

I need to ride it a little more to be sure, but I think this going to be the shizz.

66 jet
needle clip in the second from top position
50:1 ratio.
NGK BP6HS

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If you add more oil to the mix the fuel gets thicker thus forth leaning out the fuel to air mix. The thicker fuel has to go through the same jet.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you add more oil to the mix the fuel gets thicker thus forth leaning out the fuel to air mix. The thicker fuel has to go through the same jet.
Yeah that's right. At first I was running 22:1 with a 68 jet. The 68 worked pretty good up to about 32:1, then it started getting rich after that.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
After riding last night, I proclaim this motor tuned. It started easier than I expected. Not as fast as it did before tuning, but not too bad with no choke.

The jetting feels perfect now. It accelerates smoothly from any speed. There's no trace of 4 stroking. The motor seems to vibrate less. Top end power, and everywhere else is top notch.

This motor is completely stock except for a speed carb, and I removed the cat out of the muffler. The exhaust noise level is about the same as stock. More sound comes from the intake side than the exhaust. The intake has a good growley sound to it when you whack the throttle.

I still haven't rode it enough with this tuning to get a feel for the gas mileage, but I expect it to be much better than the 80 mpg I've been getting.

One word of caution. If you have a Flying Horse motor like mine and are thinking about duplicating my tuning don't try running 50:1 unless your oil specifically recommends it. Not very many do, but 2 that would be safe are Red Line, and Amsoil. Red line runs about $100 a gallon.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
flying horse seams like the clear choice now for a 2 stroke 66cc im so happy with mine out of the box only difference is im running the muffler off my grubee on it still because i crushed it to fit my frame and put a custom cap on it love the power it makes though and the sound is fantastic