New BoardTrack Project w/Honda Engine

GoldenMotor.com

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
First Video.jpg
YouTube - Board Track Replica - First Run

Finally got a video posted of the first run. Took me a while to figure out how to convert an analog video to digital and post it to youtube. I compressed the file so the quality is not great. The first run went well, everything worked pretty descent. The bike is fast and takes off nicely. Takes a little more distance to brake than I would like, but it will have to do.

Thanks for the comments. We have dilberated about the handlebars and agree they tend to take on a bicycle look. May take another look at developing new bars. Problem is we have so much work in the throttle we would have to work around it.

Our next move is the tear down and finish. We haven't decided on a color and scheme yet.

Mike

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Sounds great! Looks great! Fine work done guys.

Don't sweat the handlebars. It was just an opinion. You guys have done an excellent job of problem solving. I'm pretty sure you will come up with something in time.

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Wow - Where does the time go.

Disassemble the Motor Bike and did the finish welding, grinding & sanding.

PDR_0303.JPG

Shot a etching primer coat to keep the rust away. Will apply a skim coat of bondo to the frame to smooth out some of the pitting.

PDR_0306.JPG

Amazing how many components there are to the build.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Murphy
Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Glad to see your still with us. I was wondering about where you were at with your bike. Amazing how long it takes to fab everything up just to pull it back apart again. How 'bout a color? any hints?
Looks like your timing will be just about right for a Spring / Summer ride.
Keep us posted,......Thanks!

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
This is definitely the slow part. Continued with the sanding, skim bondo, sanding, priming, sanding. Here is the shot of the fender with primer.
PDR_0311.JPG

Also the front fork brace.
PDR_0312.JPG

Started on finishing the tank. First we test the tank for leaks with air and a tube of water. Fixed as necessary. Then cleaned inside out with acetone. Added a pint of 'Red Kote' brand tank sealer to the tank to seal the inside of the tank. Added 'JB Weld' to any areas that were welded. Next step, back to the sanding, skim bondo, sanding, priming, sanding.
PDR_0313.JPG

We have decided on a color. And the winner is;
IMG00005.jpg
Inferno orange.

Not that we are trying to build a replica Flying Merkel, but we hope it will have the same appeal.

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Here is the chain guard in grey primer.
PDR_0316.JPG

We chose a Krylon Brushed Metallic Satin Nickle for the color and finish. Pretty close to the color we were looking for, just a bit too much metal flake.
PDR_0317.JPG

We will use a red sandable primer over the grey primer for all parts painted with the Inferno Orange.
PDR_0318.JPG

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Primed the fender in red sandable primer. Fender bracket will be riveted to the fender with brass rivets.
PDR_0319.JPG

Dumped the Krylon Satin Nickle for a Cast Coat Aluminum engine enamel paint. This does not have the metal flake that the Satin Nickle, very flat, and I think looks more authenic. Here is the rear sprocket and adaptor in the Cast Coat Aluminum.
PDR_0320.JPG

Here is the brake lever and starter cog shot in the Cast Coat.
PDR_0321.JPG

Clutch shot in the same.
PDR_0322.JPG

This piece attaches the front fork brace to the stem. This is mild steel, polished and clear coated.
PDR_0323_1.jpg

Mike

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Well I'm still following this build, where did everyone else go?
Take it slow,.. put the finishing touches on it and keep posting.
Glad your on the downhill side of your build. Can't wait to see some color on that thing.

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Frame is pretty much set after repeated sandings with the red primer, should be ready for color next.
DVCI0001.JPG DVCI0002.JPG

Started on the front forks. Same process, grind, sand, prime. Then skim bondo, sand, red sandable primer, sand, and repeat.
DVCI0005.JPG

Hope to be putting on color this week.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Here is the front forks with the red sandable primer, wet sanded with 600.
DVCI0009.JPG

Lot's of time spent taping each spoke. Scuffed up the rims and shot with the gray etching primer.
DVCI0008.JPG

Here is the shot with the red sandable primer.
DVCI0012.JPG

Might be important to note the process here. This seems to work pretty well to achieve a nice surface finish is to use the gray etching primer to really have a good base to work from. Skim bondo any areas that need smoothing out, sand and then use the red sandable primer and finish up wet sanding to a nice smooth surface. Repeat as necessary.

Tough choices coming up. Our Inferno Orange is a great color. Has quite a bit of metal flake in it though.
DVCI0011.JPG

Here is are some alternates we are considering that have no metal flake.
DVCI0010.JPG

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
We have color!!

Took the safe route and picked the 'Dupli-Color Red' ceramic engine paint. Paint went on very even, and the color is very deep. Two light coats and one medium coat worked very well. Also used the 'Dupli-Color Clear' to put a hard finish on top. The clear seemed to dry pretty quick.

DVCI0013.JPG
DVCI0014.JPG
DVCI0015.JPG
DVCI0017_1.jpg
DVCI0019.JPG

May get a chance to start on the frame today.

Mike

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Should be a show bike, Mike! Looks good.
Ed, I haven't been logging on due to other hobbies and well, frankly, I got tired of all the "board tracker" projects that are simply cantilever frames painted black with add on parts, whitewalls, and flipped handlebars. 99.9% of the BTR forum posts labeled "BTR" are actually "vintage" mislabelled IMO. Not the creativity I hoped for. Just being honest.
This thread is a testament to the fact you can't build a BTR without fab and, gulp, welding. Build a bike any way you want but you can't achieve the proportions without that IMO.
Sorry to rant(and now hog Mike's thread) but I had more that one person offended at my opinions, usually quoting budget constraints, and implying you can have your cake and eat it too. I haven't seen it yet! So it's better for me to leave alone a good thing.
Keep building!
Dave
KC