New BoardTrack Project w/Honda Engine

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
I know what you mean Dave. I've been following this build since day one and can't wait till we,...uh! I mean Mike has it done. Lots of work on his end is about to pay off. Mike keep up the good work, nice choice on color.(^) I didn't care too much for the Orange. Not that it matters.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Excited to see it in all it's glory. With the custom alloy parts and that color, this thing will look like a show bike!
Dave
KC

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Finished with the all of the Red color. Tank came out great, a little orange peel but you have to get close to see it.
DVCI0042.JPG

The Worksman wheels are are great and though a tedious job taping each spoke the results speak for themself.
DVCI0045.JPG

Be hard to guess this started out as a 'Huffy' frame. We decided to paint the motor mounting bracket the 'Nickle' color as opposed to the body color, so it was masked off. I've seen it done both ways on different replicas. Hope this is the right choice.
DVCI0049.JPG

Onto finishing up the mod to the the motor.

MIke

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Here's a descent shot of the right side showing the jack shaft with sprocket, clutch, freewheel sprocket, and the mechanism to 'kick start' the motor.
PDR_0223.JPG

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
It can freewheel but the crank sprocket will disengage the freewheel sproket completely after 'kicking down on the pedal. In other words, it's not freewheeling while normal running. take a look at the you tube video and you will see what I mean.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Took the pedal assemblies apart and used the Nickle color on the zinc plated steel. Also used this color on the cranks to cover the chrome.
DVCI0055.JPG

Here is the sprocket adaptor attached to the painted rear drum.
DVCI0058.JPG

Used stainless steel slotted screws to attached the sprocket to the adaptor. Locitited everything into place.
DVCI0060.JPG

Stripped the motor down and removed as much of the casing as possible that is not needed. Sanded the surfaces and painted the casing with a high temperature 'Cast Aluminum' color paint and painted the cyclinder potion high temperature 'Cast Iron' color.
DVCI0063.JPG DVCI0064.JPG

Should finish up the motor early next week.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Few more shots of painting the motor. Painted the added cylinder fins with the cast iron color and painted the head the cast aluminum, same as the case color. We added a spark plug to the top of the head and will attempt to hide the real one. We decided to mix in a little brass color to add some contrast to the motor.

DVCI0087.JPG DVCI0089.JPG

Painted the bottom motor bracket the nickle color. Frame is completed now.

DVCI0092.JPG

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Thanks for all the comments. As noted we are trying to make this a show bike rather than a rider, so we are trying to develop some intersting details.

Engine is complete. Painted the bowl on the carb a copper color. Added the vintage spark plug wire, coil cover & brass oil plug. Note the phenolic "wire holder" that hides the real plug.

DVCI0096.JPG DVCI0100.JPG

I made a little video of the engine posted on youtube if you want to check it out further.

YouTube - B&E Engine

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Wow, I'm inspired now, that is so cool looking. Nice job. did you do this on home shop machines or all on heavy duty tools at work?
We have a full machine shop from a CNC Knee mill, engine lathe, band saw, etc. This is a side project or what we refer to as a gov'ment job for personal use. We have done lot's of protoypes over the years but our primary industry is industrial constrols manufacturing.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Finshed up on the Bars, internal throttle and leather grips.

Here we shortened the bars to eliminate the 'drop' or 'rise' of the bar. We want to have a flat look to the bar. You can note we have to then go back and lengthen the bar.
DVCI0108.JPG

Here we add the internal throttle to other side. Note the curved groove in the black plastic piece. This moves the pin that attaches to the cable.
DVCI0112.JPG

We purchased leather grips off of Ebay and used the coverings. Fabricated the bezels at either end from aluminum and polished them. Here is the result.
DVCI0113.JPG

Here is the bottom of the grips showing the stitching.
DVCI0114.JPG

Mike

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Great solution! That looks period perfect now. I am so glad you did this.

Upside down cruiser bars look like the builder didn't know what he was doing and installed them backwards. It stands out in the wrong way. Sort of like putting a rear fender on the front wheel.

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Thanks for the feedback. From comments we had earlier on the rough build the bars needed to change. The internal throttle is a custom made piece.

Have a few things left to finish but we are pretty close to starting the assembly.

Here is a custom fender bracket, decided to fab brass rivets to attach the bracket to the fender.
DVCI0104.JPG DVCI0105.JPG

These are the brackets used to support the engine in the frame finished in the nickle color.
DVCI0107.JPG

The stand is finished in a black epoxy finish for durability.
DVCI0121.JPG

Mike