My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Sorry for the absence guys. I bought a house and mama wanted some things done on it to make her happy. I didn't receive email notifications of posts to my thread or I would have answered. I just started back on the build. I got my sprocket assembly put together and I'm picking up where I left off.

Ground Z, I would love to see your Harley reproduction. If you can't post then perhaps email me.

Velodrome, that is indeed a spittoon! I coated it with the same material I used in the gas tank to seal the seam and make it more rigid.

FL Motorbikes, Those are Swaulbe Fat Franks 2.35 wide

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Does anybody know where to get a set of Worksman rims besides Pirate Cycles? They never answer their phone or return emails.

Also looking for the ERD for the Worksman rim so I can calculate spoke length for my steel hub.
Thanks

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
For my build I ordered 2 front rims from Granger.com they were only about $60 each and I had them next day. I was also able to trim and reuse the spokes

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
While I really like the bike build, I'm as interested in/impressed by the "jig" you made to hold everything together while you build it. I have skills but little imagination and seeing the tools you use helps me think things through to do things I might want to do. Like copy this and other replica bikes I have found on here. I hope you and others don't mind. I won't make exact copies but I really love your gas tank and knowing how you did it makes the slab sided "coffin" tank seem tacky in comparison. Thanks for all the great information.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Thanks Lurker! I bought two rims from Granger, they were a little more expensive, $84.00 but they have the 11 gage spokes, those are hard to find in a given length. When you trimmed your spokes down did you run new threads or was there enough left over?

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I got mine from Granger as well. You can't shorten these spokes (at least I couldn't shorten mine) because the threaded end is wider than the spoke itself. This is for strength. You can however change the spoke pattern (two cross, three cross, four cross), to take up the length of the spokes.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
This build is fantastic! You sir have some serious skill, can't wait to see this bike finished. Do you know what wheels and tires you will be using? The ones you have in the photos seem don't seem strong enough for the speeds this bike will see. Also what do you plan to do for foot rests and shifting?

Just a bit of suggestion here but the forks seem too long. I was looking at the photos and I think if you flipped the rocker arms over and around it would make the fork look a lot shorter and more proportional. What Im saying is put the longer side of the rocker toward the bike, and the short side toward the front. Then turn them upside down to resemble more of a "u" rather than a "n".

Keep up the good work, and please don't be offended by my constructive criticism.
Lurker, the wheels for this build will be Worksman rims with 11 gage spokes and I'm looking at Simplex tires. I'm having trouble finding suitable hubs though. I noticed that you used a CL 100 front hub. Any issues with fit to your forks? What hub are you running in the rear?

I was planning on a bicycle hub with sealed press-in bearings and a 15mm solid axle. The hub I picked out though does not allow me to remove the inner cones and replace with larger sealed type, so I can't use them. Any help would be appreciated.

You were right about my fork rockers. I designed a few sets and had placed set #2 on upside down to experiment with suspension action. I have proper rockers on it now and it sits much lower and I have proper spring action in front.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Simplex tires will but the Fat Franks you see in the pictures are bicycle tires. i wouldn't trust them at highway speeds.
The wheels and tires were for a build that I shelved. The rims are extra wide double wall aluminum and the spokes are 12 gage cross 4 pattern. I'm thinking about selling them.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Sounds like the same kind of wheel setup I originally had. The 12 ga spokes survived with the china girl engine, but when I used a gx200 I was breaking 3 or 4 spokes a month. With the Worksman 11 ga spokes I have never broke one.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Thanks Cobra, I asked pat about his moped style hubs and he told me that the freewheel side would cause issues with my application. I'm thinking that I may have to cut off the rear triangle of my bike and start over again with a wider section to accommodate a motorcycle hub.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Here are some pictures taken today, the salt air has brought a patina of surface rust to the bike and it looks really old.
As you can see the current rockers have the front end sitting nicer and functioning perfectly.
[/IMG]

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
That one is very similar to the one I have, I believe they use the same brake shoes and are both made by Lelue. I think you'll like it as long as it fits your frame. The price isn't bad either- one thing I've noticed while building my bike is actual moped and motorcycle parts are a lot cheaper than bicycle parts, therefore I haven't used a single bicycle part yet.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
John, what chain and sprocket are you running? I'm using #40, it seems plenty big enough but I think the Lelue hubs don't offer that sprocket.