My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
SB, that’s right; I used threaded couplers that are an inch long I believe, and welded them to the inside of the tank. The threaded rods go in the couplers, leaving room for the mounting screws outside, top and bottom. When the threaded rods are set to the exact height I tack them in place. Remember to clean the inside as you go so your tank sealer; Por 15 or whatever brand you use, bonds well.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Here are some shots of where I am at today. I finished fabbing the faux oil tank/electrical service box. You can see the antigravity polymer battery I am using. Super small and light weight and can be placed in any position. Everything else fit neatly inside.

I also put an old timey brass air horn on the carb as well as a glass bowl fuel filter.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB, that’s right; I used threaded couplers that are an inch long I believe, and welded them to the inside of the tank. The threaded rods go in the couplers, leaving room for the mounting screws outside, top and bottom. When the threaded rods are set to the exact height I tack them in place. Remember to clean the inside as you go so your tank sealer; Por 15 or whatever brand you use, bonds well.
That's clever using the threaded couplers as you have since they are doing double duty. They act as spacers and give the correct vertical distance and also give something for the mounting brackets to bolt in to. I like that. So when you tack the threaded rod it is welded around the whole diameter of the rod so that no gas can get through the coupler, is that right? Forgive all my questions, please. That is one of the best looking gas tanks I've ever seen and there have been some nice ones on this forum.
SB

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Harry, I plan to paint it the muddy red shade of the original Indian, I will probably powder coat the crank case covers the same as well.

Mr. B., Thanks brother. I got a long list of 'honey dos' from my wife; ‘happy wife, happy life’… So I have been spending more time in the shop the last couple of weeks. Today I start on ‘the list’, (other house projects) so it may be a month before I make any significant progress on the bike. I have to say though; this is the most fun project I have ever done!

SB, I only tack the rods so they can't turn. After treating the inside of the tank with Por-15 it seals those entry points. I cut small studs from left-over rod and threaded them to the outside mount holes to save the mount threads in case Por-15 leaked through. On top of those I sealed around the base with plumber’s putty and around the filler bung hole. I didn't weld completely around the inside of the bung to avoid warping the sheet metal. If I could take a picture of the inside you would see a thick coating of the sealer over every part of those rods. Of course final proof will come when I fill'er up for the first time! I’ll get back to you on that!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What a great looking bike. The tank came out perfectly. You fellas keep pushing the bar ever higher.

Always seems just as you get going something takes you away from it. Mostly honey do's.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"Always seems just as you get going something takes you away from it. Mostly honey do's.

Steve."

Money don'ts slow you down, too...

I like that tank as well as any I have seen on this forum. Very pleasing to look at and I like it better than completely cylindrical.

Yes, this is fun stuff, isn't it? What could be more satisfying than to dream something up, make it with your own hands, fire the motor and ride off into the sunset? Like the Lone Ranger said, "Hi ho Silver, and away!!!"
SB

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This build is fantastic! You sir have some serious skill, can't wait to see this bike finished. Do you know what wheels and tires you will be using? The ones you have in the photos seem don't seem strong enough for the speeds this bike will see. Also what do you plan to do for foot rests and shifting?

Just a bit of suggestion here but the forks seem too long. I was looking at the photos and I think if you flipped the rocker arms over and around it would make the fork look a lot shorter and more proportional. What Im saying is put the longer side of the rocker toward the bike, and the short side toward the front. Then turn them upside down to resemble more of a "u" rather than a "n".

Keep up the good work, and please don't be offended by my constructive criticism.

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Sick build! I just discovered this thread searching for "old-timey handlebars" in google image search. I love the tank, the forks and the oversize frame. Keep going- it's already great.

ground zero harley

Apr 18, 2012
las vegas
I have a reproduction of a 1915 indian board track racer, I would like you to take a look at it so you can tell me what you think. I am new to this sight . This site wont let me post a jpeg picture . all help would be appreciated. thanks tony

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I have a reproduction of a 1915 indian board track racer, I would like you to take a look at it so you can tell me what you think. I am new to this sight . This site wont let me post a jpeg picture . all help would be appreciated. thanks tony
I think you have to post a message three times on this site before you can include photos. It's a defense against spam I suppose.

If you just post some miscellaneous words on this thread, I think that will bring you to three posts and you can then show us your pictures.

I look forward to seeing the reproduction 1915 Indian.

Gilbert

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You can post jpeg photos, new members with a low post count must have any links or photos approved by a moderator before it is viewed publicly on the forum. Once you have a few post, your post/threads will no longer go into moderation.

We know this can be a inconvenience for new members, but it makes for a more enjoyable forum with no spam.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13551

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=13741

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Here are some shots of where I am at today. I finished fabbing the faux oil tank/electrical service box. You can see the antigravity polymer battery I am using. Super small and light weight and can be placed in any position. Everything else fit neatly inside.

I also put an old timey brass air horn on the carb as well as a glass bowl fuel filter.
Is.... Is that... Is that a spitoon air cleaner???? Re-purposeing at its best!