Lurker's new project

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The only visual thing I can say is that the seat looks just a touch high for a boardie, but you haven't got much room to lower it. Is it heresy to suggest a proper old fashioned touring set up instead? Tell me to "go forth and be fruitful" if it's a bad idea.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Opinions,Opinions UGH! I think you should cut the back of the tank at the same angle as the seat post tube it looks like a gigantic bullet(LOL!) and a real pair of Schwinn springers their not so much like the shape of an archers bow, but ya know what ? what ever you do you never cease to amaze us us with your work,idea's and fabrication, being an artist helps alot!
My poinion is just that! an opinion......................GOOD JOB!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Opinions,Opinions UGH! I think you should cut the back of the tank at the same angle as the seat post tube it looks like a gigantic bullet(LOL!) and a real pair of Schwinn springers their not so much like the shape of an archers bow, but ya know what ? what ever you do you never cease to amaze us us with your work,idea's and fabrication, being an artist helps alot!
My poinion is just that! an opinion......................GOOD JOB!
On the note of the springers, if you aren't going to use a set of Schwinn one you need to at least beef up the ones you have. Such as how these ones got beefed up

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42838.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the suggestions guys, Its always nice to have a fresh set of eyes look at whatever it is you are working on.

ludwig, you are absolutely right about the seat. I am currently trying to remedy this issue as I type this.

trucked, I didn't realize it until you said it, but it really does look like a giant bullet. I was trying to stay true to the original merkel design but in its raw state I can see what you are talking about. I think once it is pained it wont look as bad.

dracothered, thanks for that photo of the beefed up fork that's a great idea, I will use that as inspiration for mine.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Do It! bro Just Do It! (LOL!) cut the back of the tank, stay true!
Here is a pic of my 1913 Merkel, now I had Dan rework the head tube so it sits at the proper angle and the gusset has been removed, it is set up for a chinee engine but there is enough room for a GC 160 or 212cc ? been thinking about what to do with it ???

Attachments

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nice PS skills, I'm going to make all the suggested improvements improvements with the exception of the tank. I should have done it flush with the seat tube but its too late now,I don't have any material to do it with, and besides this tanks is already pressure tested and ready to go. On the next bike I will be sure to make it match the angle of the seat tube, but for now I think I can live with it.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Nice PS skills, I'm going to make all the suggested improvements improvements with the exception of the tank. I should have done it flush with the seat tube but its too late now,I don't have any material to do it with, and besides this tanks is already pressure tested and ready to go. On the next bike I will be sure to make it match the angle of the seat tube, but for now I think I can live with it.
You could just add a filler to give it that look without having to redo the whole tank.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
thanks for the pick axel, it looks like a early European bike probably French if I had to guess.

Any way I need some more input from you guys. I've mocked the bike up in a few different colors and I need some help choosing. The time is getting near to start paint and any suggestions are greatly welcomed. since this bike will have lots of rust and what not I tried to pick colors that work well with brown.

Here is the list of colors in no particular order.
1. navy blue
2. stereotypical Merkel orange
3. Gray from the reference photo of the original Merkel model u racer

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think no.2 is the best of the 3. Go too hard at "rust" and it looks a bit precious, over done. You also have to consider the effect of a sort of mismatch between really tired and half restored as well.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
#1. I like the Color, but it would suit a different build style better.
#2. almost every one has a rusted out old bike,too common.
#3. the bike wears the dark blue much! much! better and would look
way cool! with a raunched decal on the tank.
I like the tank featured in the Pic's, is that a rendition or the final on tank fabrication? I'd also throw some dark blue on the crank case with the same patina as upper engine, but only the crank case.
And for the sake of realestate put a half rear fender on that Monster!

Last edited: