I found the HOLY GRAIL! (1926 Harley)

GoldenMotor.com

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Bird, do you do flattrack racing?

Ever thought of using this engine to build a vintage flattracker and do events? Everyone on here seems to build boardtrack racers, but there arent any boardtracks anymore but there are still flattracks.

Ive considered building my BSA engine into a flatracker so i could get some use out of my bike, ive never done flattracking but i rode motocross for years so i wouldnt mind trying it. Im not talking about rubbing and racing and destroying your bike, but finding some old dudes who just like to get their bike out on the track.

I posted a video in the boardtrack section about vintage flattacking some time ago but got zero interest
I have considered building one so I can do the san Jose iron dinosaur races on the quarter mile. But most of the people run the twins so being competitive would not come easy. If enough people would enter a single cylinder class I am racing for sure ^_^

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You don't necessarily need to be competitive to have a ball..... But then again I'm not that competitive of a person so it wouldn't worry me. I just think it would be a great way to enjoy our bikes while hanging out with likeminded vintage motorcycle enthusiasts and you wouldnt need to worry about getting it registered...... I'm not sure what it's like where you are from but over here modified vehicles are a pain in the butt.

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
You don't necessarily need to be competitive to have a ball..... But then again I'm not that competitive of a person so it wouldn't worry me. I just think it would be a great way to enjoy our bikes while hanging out with likeminded vintage motorcycle enthusiasts and you wouldnt need to worry about getting it registered...... I'm not sure what it's like where you are from but over here modified vehicles are a pain in the butt.
I've been racing flattrack for a few years and I love every minute of it.... Unless I'm in the back:p But it would still be one heck of a time in the pits talking to the other enthusiests! Here in Cali, you can have any antique bike registered as a horseless carriage with a Highway patrol signature on a historical vehicle application. I happen to be good friends with a salinas chp so this will be easy! $35 for the plates, $45 a year and some tail/head lights and I'm set for a while!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Just in case you were interested, here is that flat track video i mentioned earlier. Great video with a great Aussie soundtrack, really gets the blood pumping, i think it would be so much fun riding and just hanging out in the pits admiring the nice bikes. Unfortunately i doubt we have events with bikes that old over here in OZ. Id love to build mine to take part in stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku7QY9Cbjz8&feature=youtu.be

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Just in case you were interested, here is that flat track video i mentioned earlier. Great video with a great Aussie soundtrack, really gets the blood pumping, i think it would be so much fun riding and just hanging out in the pits admiring the nice bikes. Unfortunately i doubt we have events with bikes that old over here in OZ. Id love to build mine to take part in stuff like this

Great vid! definitely something i'd like to be a part of.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

Be the man to start the interest an form the race event LEAD , you never know where you may end up it could take off an you essentially would enrich the hobby .
A prime example one customer of mine works at sae's world headquarters here in pa an he started a simple car criuze it became a multiple season date now with drag racing .

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thegnu, there's also a guy locally from me that wasn't happy with the static car shows put on, and he pioneered a new car scene/show also. The concept sounds simple enough, but before he started it, that sort of show didn't exist. He put a show on locally at a racetrack and allowed entrants to cruise, drift, drag race and generally run a muck. The first was about ten years ago. Now it's exploded and made him rich. He's expanded it and it now has many events worldwide. And it made its first appearance in America in the last year or two I think.

The event is called "power cruise" and if you're a street machine or drag racing fan you should seriously check it out. I don't think you Americans have seen anything quite like it..... Sure you guys have your "power tour" but this is the same sort of cars on a closed track running a muck.

http://www.powercruise.com/

Last edited:

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
I am so sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this Bird. But it is apparent you are confusing Dan Brown's new Book and Ron Howard's new Movie with their older one. Don't feel bad. Many are doing that very thing in these recent days. Then there are those who jump on the bandwagon after is where the real confusion starts to come. See Breaking the DaVinici Code and Breaking the Harley Code are two different series of books and movies..

But they do however have one central theme, like in that of the DaVinci Code the Holy Grail is pointedly a "V" and not of a Chalice, per se. The same goes for the Harley Code, this also a "V". Only in the Harley Code, it's speaking of the Twin cylinder V engine. I'm so glad I found your thread before you invested money into this project. As it is clear, you were given a little Pr_cK and nothing even closely resembling a "V" or a Chalice! I'm so glad I could clear that up for you!.

Hope your luck continues, as we see you have gained the road to the best of it!.

.shft.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I don't think it has to be a VTwin to be the holy grail. I for one think the older bikes are nicer, and singles came before VTwins so I for one would still be ecstatic. I guess some people are harder to please then others.

Speaking in terms of this site I think Bird did find the holy grail, especially considering the price

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I am so sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this Bird. But it is apparent you are confusing Dan Brown's new Book and Ron Howard's new Movie with their older one. Don't feel bad. Many are doing that very thing in these recent days. Then there are those who jump on the bandwagon after is where the real confusion starts to come. See Breaking the DaVinici Code and Breaking the Harley Code are two different series of books and movies..

But they do however have one central theme, like in that of the DaVinci Code the Holy Grail is pointedly a "V" and not of a Chalice, per se. The same goes for the Harley Code, this also a "V". Only in the Harley Code, it's speaking of the Twin cylinder V engine. I'm so glad I found your thread before you invested money into this project. As it is clear, you were given a little Pr_cK and nothing even closely resembling a "V" or a Chalice! I'm so glad I could clear that up for you!.

Hope your luck continues, as we see you have gained the road to the best of it!.

.shft.
Lucky you found this thread before he invested money in it? Are you suggesting it isn't worth spending money on.

Speaking of "little pr_cks" laff

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
I could not resist the spoof to Dan Brown's book after seeing those like myself drooling over this marvelous gift Bird was presented with, by his neighbor. As even after the two hundred dollars he demanded his neighbor to at lease take, we all know presented him with an honor of a build. This that so few of us will ever see in our life times!

Please don't get me wrong in what I'm about to say. As honored I would be, to be in Bird's shoes. I personally take it to a company older and only seen as second best due to a Government contract bid. This that Harley Davidson won many, many moons ago. Myself, knowing how contract bid's to the Pentagon go, I know, is no sign of the excellence in the design. If I were to say who has the Holy Grail of Motorcycles - "Indian"!

As I still pay Homage
to the old-timer from Invercargill, New Zeland. As Burt Monro, the ole boy, did great Offerings to the God's of Speed! This with what we all do here, in the same exact spirit that he did. This even though his testament did not come till the late 60's.

The next time the very same testament was again given, I was there. This in 1974 in Snake River Canyon, Idaho. This where a Canary Yellow Indian Chief an a Candy Apple Red Indian Warrior took on allcomer's of 250,000 present biker's to quarter mile run's on Dyna-testers. The thousand Kawisaki was said to be the fastest then. It wasn't, neither was any other bike, modified err not, including the Harleys! These two stock Indian's took it all. In my opinion even Kenevil's jump took 2nd place to the night befores challenge! Though these bikes came later, of which I speak and not even manufactured anymore, That very first Indian was and is, the Holy Grail of Motorcycles...

.shft.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Better change the title of the thread to "I found the holy grail, if you exlcude Indians and V-Twins"....... LOL

Bird id still kill for that engine, keep us posted man. Youre young and have plenty of time, ive seen your other thread and you have some very good ideas for a young man. Stick with this, i can see you going places.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Better change the title of the thread to "I found the holy grail, if you exlcude Indians and V-Twins"....... LOL

Bird id still kill for that engine, keep us posted man. Youre young and have plenty of time, ive seen your other thread and you have some very good ideas for a young man. Stick with this, i can see you going places.
going places on one of the older motors in existence .
I believe that V TWIN or not , Indian or not , You have to acknowledge the simple fact of how rare a find it is .

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
Oooouuuuiiii! just came down with a serious headache reading this U-turn that this thread took.Why is that there is allways someone in the end that cant just LET IT BE!! Be happy for those who discover just that moment in this hobby regardless of make or project.To bring the neverending story of Harley vs. Indian vs. BSA vs. husqvarna vs. honda vs. KAWASAKI and so on
into this thread is to me rather uneccessery in my op.I understand that the keyword here is the HOLY GRAIL. But if i found or stumbled upon a motor in this case and on this level (motorising bicycles) i be really happy regardless it beeing a BSA,Harley or Indian.If it is the HOLY GRAIL is allways and will be a mather of taste and knowledge! Honda people got theirs and so does the yamaha people.
So PLEASE let us just log in and enjoy the many projects and the great exchange of ideas that are on this site and leave this type of disscussions out of here,Because there are NO WINNERS OR LOOSERS !!!!:rolleyes:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Give me a 1904 Curtiss Twin and I could trade it for a Harley & a Indian...

In the mean time I’m still really looking forward to see what come up with with your Grail!!! :) :) :)

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Oooouuuuiiii! just came down with a serious headache reading this U-turn that this thread took.Why is that there is allways someone in the end that cant just LET IT BE!! Be happy for those who discover just that moment in this hobby regardless of make or project.To bring the neverending story of Harley vs. Indian vs. BSA vs. husqvarna vs. honda vs. KAWASAKI and so on
into this thread is to me rather uneccessery in my op.I understand that the keyword here is the HOLY GRAIL. But if i found or stumbled upon a motor in this case and on this level (motorising bicycles) i be really happy regardless it beeing a BSA,Harley or Indian.If it is the HOLY GRAIL is allways and will be a mather of taste and knowledge! Honda people got theirs and so does the yamaha people.
So PLEASE let us just log in and enjoy the many projects and the great exchange of ideas that are on this site and leave this type of disscussions out of here,Because there are NO WINNERS OR LOOSERS !!!!:rolleyes:
AMEN! Theres always one in every crowd, i felt the same after reading Kiwepaga's post. Theres not often we have negative posts, i did notice he is a new member so may not know how we operate here on this forum...... jealousy is a curse.

Now lets get back to Birds thread, i for one am excited for Bird and looking forward to what he does, remember as far as im aware Bird is still in high school. I wish i was doing this stuff in high school.... hes got a 20 year head start on me.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
going places on one of the older motors in existence .
I believe that V TWIN or not , Indian or not , You have to acknowledge the simple fact of how rare a find it is .
Just checking Gnu, you do realise i acknowledge this engine is cool, i was having a little stab at Kiwepagana by saying Bird needed to change the thread title because of what Kiwepagana said in his post.