High Performance Wally World Cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
40 MPH? Holy mackrel! Keep it slow for awhile partner, there are so many things that could go wrong. Baby steps.
On the other hand... it is fun to go fast! ;)

Safety first. Have fun, keep us up to date.
Well this bike was already running 40+, only thing on the bike that has changed is the sprocket and the head! Still haven't mounted the new motor so it's already broken in! Just made sure the sprocket was set to go and went from there!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
yeslds did you say u had a gt5a with a zaf80 rod? did you need the jug aswell as the type A piston?
No I have a GT5 I am building and I misordered the piston and got a type A on accident needed a type b. Already got everything ordered up though and it's already arrived just waiting for me to put it together! xD

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've been looking at this thread for a few days now, What caught my attention was the title. I've never heard High performance and wallyworld used in the same sentence before. Dont get me wrong, My baby is a Cranny Too, 2010 and 2011 Cranbrooks came out with the heavier welds and steel rims with 12 guage spokes. I was fatter back then so I went for the heavy duty frame and wheels. I'm poor also so of course I do most of my shopping at Wally World. So far, The Hussy has been a pretty good ride.
I hope your luck is as good as mine has been.
fatdaddy.
I guess I kinda seperate the high performance from the cruiser and look at the high performance as being the engine build rather than the bike only, I have a Huffy Karaoke I bought in 2010 and it has been a bullet proof bike, pushing 1000 miles and most of it on very rough dusty dirt roads, coaster brake works good still and all the bearing are still in good shape.

The coaster hub in my bike and the other cranbrooks and such isnt as good as a shimano 110 hub but mine has held up good so far.

the frames are a bit short even for a 5' 10" 215lb'er like me but with the right bars and a good seat it isnt to bad of a ride.

I know the Huffy bikes get a lot of hate, but there are a lot of them out there that have held up good, so Id say that maybe they're kinda like the china girl engines we put on them.... a crap shoot, you may get a good one and you may get a lemon

this hobby wouldnt have many members if it werent for the less expensive bikes, nothing wrong with an inexpensive starti g poi t and then building up from there as a person can, as Ive said and will always say, we all do the best we can with what we have to work with and if we like it, to heck with the haters they just need to enjoy what they have and let others do the same, not all of us care to keep up with the Jones's.....lol!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You ever heard the old saying that goes like this...

"If you don't have something good to say don't say anything at all"

What is it with you fellas who for no good reason get your jollies by putting down other people's stuff....

Must be a pathetic life to live is all I can say....
As a matter of fact, I say that all the time. And please note, I wasn't putting anyone's bike or build down whatsoever, or being disrespectful to anyone.....especially the OP of this post as his bike looks and is more than worthy.

You Texas boys can pull the knots out of your knickers now.....you seem super sensitive about anything being said referring to Walmart. I shop there all the time and I do see some great deals on bicycles there as well.

The troll. Know where I can get some ammo cheap? Walmarts OUT!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
As a matter of fact, I say that all the time. And please note, I wasn't putting anyone's bike or build down whatsoever, or being disrespectful to anyone.....especially the OP of this post as his bike looks and is more than worthy.

You Texas boys can pull the knots out of your knickers now.....you seem super sensitive about anything being said referring to Walmart. I shop there all the time and I do see some great deals on bicycles there as well.

The troll. Know where I can get some ammo cheap? Walmarts OUT!
Walmart wasnt the issue for me, it just seemed a little disrespectful toward the OP, personally Im not a walmart shopper, but I dont fault anyone who is.

I know its hard to know someones intent on here when all we see is words, I'm just not fond of it when It seems that someone is hating on someone elses project for no good reason and that is why I came to the defense of the OP.

If you say you didn't mean it in a bad way then I'll take you at your word on that, but I can assure you that this Texas country boy dont wear knickers, and the only knots that would be getting tied would be the one in the taill of the fella that made that knicker statement to some of the Texans around here....lol...!

All's good scotto,
If the OP doesn't have an issue neither do I.

Peace, Map

dance1

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I'll be honest. I didn't even understand his comment. It didn't really make much sense to me. Only thing that made sense was the joke about the high priced ammo or the fact that the bike is cheap. That's all I really took from it and the bike is cheap for what it is. It's a build in progress and the bike will be up fairly shortly for some modifications as well and we will go from there, just wanted to get the motor stuff out of the way because that's the stuff I already had built up!

As for the bike I plan on widening the rear of the frame and fitting a mountain bike wheel as well as I have a disc brake fork on the way at the moment for some extra stopping power. Was thinking about also doing a disc brake set-up in the rear because otherwise I wouldn't have any other options than just the front. So the Cranny will change up quite a bit as well. Going to sand it down and paint it as well. Also try to lighten it where not dangerous cause the suckers heavy... lol

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I like the idea of a cheap, fast Walmart bike build, mainly because it's kind of in your face to the detractor snobs always bad mouthing cheap Walmart bikes. Really all you're talking about is a frame anyway. Every dollar you saved on the bike, you can put into the kind of parts you like best.

But if you do happen to find any bullets, let me and scotto know.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Same here... Cheap and fast tells me the builder has some skills to make something cheap run like that... Don't get me wrong tho, I do love the high end stuff too,but cheap,fast, and fun is what it's all about...
I just don't take too well to someone coming in just to disrespect someone's hard work just because the original bike don't meet *their* standards... Maybe we all took it wrong, but not the first time either. Some of us just choose to put more work and less money into our builds, that's all... You won't find any knickers here in Texas, but you will find blue jeans and steel toes, with the arrogant mouthy type usually finding the latter.

Anyway, no harm no foul if it wasn't intended that way...

And for bullets... I got a friend who buys the spent brass from the shooting ranges and reconditions the stuff that can be reused then he reloads them and sells us the ammo nice and cheap... I dunno if he can ship ammo out of state but his prices are way better than Wally world's and they're not overloaded to the point that they blow up your gun, but just a tad more power than store bought.

I could contact him and see if he'll pass out his email address and phone number. He's here in San Antonio so I'm sure he can sell to the Texans, just not sure if he can ship them out of state without the price going way up.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I know the Huffy bikes get a lot of hate, but there are a lot of them out there that have held up good, so Id say that maybe they're kinda like the china girl engines we put on them.... a crap shoot, you may get a good one and you may get a lemon
I like the Cranny frames myself and they are a proven good base for motorizing, a bit on the heavy side but otherwise plenty strong enough and real easy to beef up if the builder chooese to do so. I like to strip the paint off and check all the welds then go in and beef up any weak looking welds either by re welding or even brazing over the welds for extra strength... not to mention the brazed bare metal looks great on some builds, just strip, braze over all the joints then shoot on a few coats of clear makes for a cool looking ride.

The China Girl engines... I like them, simple, reliable, and lots of room for improvement, every so often somebody gets a lemon, but for the most part they're ok stock for putting around on and they wake up nicely when someone wants to go fast.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thefact that someone can buy an inexpensive (cheap) bike and a cheap engine kit and end up with a potentially somewhat reliable inexpensive form of transportation is what draws most people to this hobby, and to those of us who really enjoy tinkering its an even bigger draw, only time we should possible frown just a tad on a bike build in an easy and respectful way is when we see someone fixing to do something that is potentially very dangerous, we should try to snatch a brother out of the fire if we can and hope someone would do the same for us, you will always get more accomplished using sugar than you will using vinegar, so thinking it through and using a little wisdom when applying constructive criticism is a much better way to go about comments that can potentially be taken as negative toward a person or their project.

I know this is just a rabbit trail here and doesn't in any way apply to the OP's topics here, but on the ammo topic, we have a pile of reasonable ammo around here to be purchased with the acception of .22 lr and .22 mg

Those are the only things I buy since I'm a reloaded and I load for all my firearms from 9mm Luger all the way up to 7mm Rem Mag and my shotguns, some components were a bit hard to come by for while, but most everything is available now, you just gotta know where to look, I also cast many different bullets for handgun and rifle and lead has gone up in price, but its not hard to find.

my recommendation to you fellas who are looking for "cheap" ammo is to just buy you an inexpensive Lee loading kit with press, scale, etc. Can be bought for just over $100+ order you a set of dies for the caliber you use and get involved in a new and enjoyable hobby that is very safe as long as you understand what you're doing and follow the load data. Buy you some rimfire ammo for plnking when you can but there are many very good online sources for components that will allow you to load some ammo that is cheaper than what you can buy and you can tailor the ammo to you firearm by a little trial and error with figuring out what the particular gun like best.

Ok I'm done and sorry YesImLDS, just wanted to address the cheap ammo topic that worked its way into the mix here.

Now back to the (High Performance Inexpensive Bike Project)......

peace, map

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
It's all good ha. I don't have much else to say today so someone might as well put something up! Cold out today so I doubt much riding will get done. Just researching some parts for the front disc.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Man I had a customer come in here a few months back and he REALLY wanted some of my used wheel weights... they were just in the way to me so I gave him a couple 5 gallon buckets full... I could have cast most of that into bullets, but I'm sure that's what he wanted it for.

my dad used to reload all his 30.06 rounds when I was a kid along with a few of his other guns, a few 30.30's and some .22's for target practice. I remember he had it down to a science just how much charge to put in since too much is simply too much and acuracy starts to suffer. Seen another guy overload a .44 magnum pistol and it blew up in his hand at the shooting range, the guy was damn lucky it didn't mess up his hand or worse... it blew out the chamber and bent the top bar that supports the barrel, leaving the gun totally useless.

Ok... back on topic...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Which fork are you getting?
I'm kinda in that bind here trying to make an adapter for the caliper to fit on my Noleen front end.. I just got too much time and effort into that setup to swap forks now. It's stopping a little better with a set of fresh pads, but it does eat them pretty fast if I have to panic stop from 40+ too many times.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Which fork are you getting?
I'm kinda in that bind here trying to make an adapter for the caliper to fit on my Noleen front end.. I just got too much time and effort into that setup to swap forks now. It's stopping a little better with a set of fresh pads, but it does eat them pretty fast if I have to panic stop from 40+ too many times.
I ended up getting this fork here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151561423095?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It was cheap and I honestly don't know too much about it, but it looks alright and it was cheap enough that if it doesn't work out for what I am using it for I can always resell or just keep it in my parts pile lol. Should get the job done though I would hope. I like that it has suspension as well

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I ended up getting this fork here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151561423095?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
It was cheap and I honestly don't know too much about it, but it looks alright and it was cheap enough that if it doesn't work out for what I am using it for I can always resell or just keep it in my parts pile lol. Should get the job done though I would hope. I like that it has suspension as well
lol....you to huh...

i had one these on my watch list for a while, after starting to look at one of my bikes more I decided one of these might work out good on it so I ordered one also.

i have a very similar set that came on a Schwinn comfort bike, they were one a different bike for a long while and they worked out real good for me.

im sure these arent gonna be the best choice for extreme mt biking but I dont do that so i think they're a good bang for the buck.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
lol....you to huh...

i had one these on my watch list for a while, after starting to look at one of my bikes more I decided one of these might work out good on it so I ordered one also.

i have a very similar set that came on a Schwinn comfort bike, they were one a different bike for a long while and they worked out real good for me.

im sure these arent gonna be the best choice for extreme mt biking but I dont do that so i think they're a good bang for the buck.
Haha did you get the other one for sale? I didn't get the other one just cause I didn't like the shock covers, but I guess we will see how they work!