For those over 50

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
oh man...duel was the coolest back then...a killer truck chasing a valiant all over the desert :):):)
remember 'the california kid' with martin sheen? cool, flamed , black hotrod
...both the truck and car went off a cliff if I remember correctly

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
But who remembers the Buster Brown Hour 'before' Andy Devine was the host? Now we'll see who's over 50...
And, who was the ranking Air Force officer in 'The THING from outer space' and also 'IT, came from Beneath the Sea' He was seen in numerous Sci-Fi movies and went on to become the co-star of a TV show mentioned earlier in this thread. (hint: He flew helicopters and was a chopper and fixed wing pilot in real life)
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"The Dual" was a Stephen King thriller. 'The California Kid' contains a bit of hot rod trivia that only true gear heads will get. In the scene where Martin Sheen first opens the hood of the 34 Ford coupe and shows his engine to the sheriff, the engine that appears on screen is the engine that was in the 32 five window coupe seen in 'American Graffiti'. The real 'California Kid' 34 Ford coupe had a small block Ford motor with a single 4 barrel carb and Spielberg didn't think it looked hot rod enough so they dubbed in a photo of the engine in the 32 Ford used in Graffiti. If you have the movies on dvd, feeze frame that scene and compare it with Milner's 32. It is a small block Chevy with 4, 2 barrel carbs. They actually used a sheet of cardboard painted black behind the engine to make it look like it was under the hood of the 34 which was the original California Kid coupe. The scene is only a couple of seconds long but enough that if you're sharp you'll recognize the motor. Now there is something only a real hot rodder would catch, and is the truth.
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Lefty, Maybe It Was Just A War Wound. His Leg Was Messed Up A Bit From Something. Yes It Was Chester. He Was Not In The Later Shows. Chester = Dennis Weaver, And He Was Mc Cloud. The Time Slips Away. As They Say - "time Waits For No Man".

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
But who remembers the Buster Brown Hour 'before' Andy Devine was the host? Now we'll see who's over 50...
And, who was the ranking Air Force officer in 'The THING from outer space' and also 'IT, came from Beneath the Sea' He was seen in numerous Sci-Fi movies and went on to become the co-star of a TV show mentioned earlier in this thread. (hint: He flew helicopters and was a chopper and fixed wing pilot in real life)
Tom

2door,
It was Smilin Ed's Gang, but after he died suddenly from a heart attack, they brought Andy Divine on. There's some good 'Froggy shorts' on You Tube if ya want to take a big step back.

Wasn't the pilot in 'The Thing' Kurt Russell?

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
One of the highlites of my tv watching career was the finale of the Fugitive . After being addicted to that series for it's entire run they cancelled it without ever giving us an end to the story . Then a few years later they put out the final show . I think it was a record viewing audience for that . Do any of you remember that final show?

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Lefty, I Don`t Know If I Seen The Final Show Or Not. That Was A Great Series. David Jenson Was A Great Actor. He Always Gave You A Calm Feeling, His Slower Speaking Style. Then Came The Remake With Harrison Ford. I Think They Both Were Great. Good Memories!! Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Zev,
What color was the Vetts used in Route 66?
Tom[/QUOTE

Most people thought it was red, but it wasn't. The first one was light blue but reflected too much light for the cameras so it was changed to brown.
Zevo,
You're a hard man to fool. You are right. Everyone thought those Vetts were red because they used a red Vett in the stills but the red looked bad on film so they used blue cars for the series.
Good answer, and correct.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door,
It was Smilin Ed's Gang, but after he died suddenly from a heart attack, they brought Andy Divine on. There's some good 'Froggy shorts' on You Tube if ya want to take a big step back.

Wasn't the pilot in 'The Thing' Kurt Russell?
The pilot in the first version of 'The Thing' was a guy named Ken Toby. He played the part of a pilot in several old movies and later was co star of 'The Wirly Birds'. He had red hair and lots of freckles which never showed up in black & white.
Tom

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Tom ,I think we are just getting warmed up on the number of pages we will have for this thred . What Al Pacino movie had the line "oh ,I'm just getting warmed up ! " It was highly acclaimed .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom ,I think we are just getting warmed up on the number of pages we will have for this thred . What Al Pacino movie had the line "oh ,I'm just getting warmed up ! " It was highly acclaimed .
Lefty,
That would be 'Scent of a Woman' one of my all time favorites. When we start doing movie lines we've gotten into a game that my brother and I have played for years. My wife and I do it too and often incorporate them into our conversation to add some levity. For example, when I leave to maybe go to the store I'll kiss her and say, "I'll be right back". Hint: Tom Hanks delivered that line.
While we're talking about Pacino; he speaks a line in 'Scent' That was originally spoken by Dustin Hoffman in a much much earlier movie. The circumstances where the lines are delivered are exactly the same too.
Tom

Last edited: