Flyer Production

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Butterscotch & silver, hard combination to beat and only thing better than hauling it around in a slick F-1 is to ride it! Lovely bike Pat. Rick C.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
We started on this cycle truck some time back as a design study. It is nearly complete, except for paint. Plan is to run it around for awhile with the raw finish. Hopefully it will make it to the races coming up next month at El Mirage, not as a racer but as a pit bike. The engine is a built up GX140 with electric starter. Eventually it will have a complete lighting system as well.

Sportsman Cycle Truck by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Sportsman Cycle Truck by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Hi pat,
I was wondering if you have considered selling a "weld it yourself" frame kit? I'm a 10+ year Titainum tig welder. But I don't have access to the tooling to bend my own frame tubes. Thanks for the consideration.
Red.

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
That sounds like a great idea. We could put a lot more bikes on the road and give guys a cheaper build as some of us just can't afford the money but have the skills.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can see there would be caution about selling frame kits as not every customer would have the skills and attitude to create a safe frame, and you can't really go around treating everyone differently.

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
They sell t bucket kits all of the time. It's the builder's responsability to make it right, and these cars are on the roads. My club has 4 of them.

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
I guess it makes sence on both sides. I'd love to start with a frame and build a landspeed racing bike from scratch. I live very close to were the ECTA holds there land speed trials. I could just buy a frame from pat. But id much rather build a bike from scratch. The only problem I foresee is the making of the actual frame. My welding ability is second to non, but my problem lies in the actual fabrication of the frame and its geometry. I've tried to reach Dan at Taylarmadebikes, but I'm unable to find any good contact info. All in all, pat produces a great bike, and it's probably not the best idea to sell a frame kit. It doesn't really make much business sence. And I can respect that.
Red.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I will ask my friend Doug about heavy duty cycle parts. I know the old fashioned lugs are easily available, perhaps pre formed tubes are as well.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I saw this all I could think of was the lawyers lined up at the widow and dependents door step right after the fatal accident.

A good niche market might be just selling drop loop down tubes. If they are long enough it would allow for an existing bike frame to be stretched six or eight inches to match the original track racing frames.

A one inch hole drilled in the underside of the bottom bracket with a hole saw to accept the new down tube and the old down tube cut where desired. The original down tube hole could be welded up on the bottom bracket.

That way for those that want a inexpensive board track frame would have one. My only thought is by the time you register an L.L.C. company and pay for the product insurance it wouldn't be worth it for the number of down tubes you would sell in a year.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What about selling ornamental "static artwork"sets of tubes? I suppose a legal shark would pull the argument to pieces though if something went wrong.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I know a chap who is a Barrister and Solicitor, Ludwig who would go through anything like that like grain through a goose. He has a Masters in Law Degree and a billing rate of $680 and hour and a world wide client list.

Regrettably that is why so very few good ideas make it to the table. Too many people looking for the big pay off on someone elses back and lawyers willing to try to make it happen so you have to pay one lawyer to make your business as lawsuit tight as possible to protect you as much as possible from other lawyers.
Not to say that lawyers are not entitled to what they earn. We all need them sometime in our lives and glad they are there when we need them.

Great world we live in isn't it.

Steve.