finally building a BTR inspired motobike

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The point behind posting the bike with big wheels pic was to illustrate the mindless mind set of some who really don't think thing's through, this bike is over a hundred yrs old and this is what they did to it DAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in my opinion this person should not be allowed to reproduce, I guess? commen sence ain't so common any more.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
No you don't think of all the people who know what that used to be casing you down the street wanting to kick yer butt for doing that to a piece of history, I bought a 1916womens bicycle frame planning on doing a sex change with it but after letting sit for so long and stairing at the beautiful lines I just can't bring myself to it.
Sorry! for high jacking yer thread.

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
met up with Maxvision today, and we chopped up the frame. we were running out of daylight so i had to take the project home and draw out a diagram of what the frame should look like

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Beautiful! Beautiful! you are on the right track, if you don't mind could I give a little advice, I think the down loop should come down about 2"( not really big #'s) and get the rear rise to the same angle as the seat post tube when connecting to the bottom bracket other wise you are doing a nice job and that tank looks So Sweet!

Not everyone knows but if you use just a little thicker tubing for the down loop you can get just a little more bend out of it without kinking the tube. and if you are going to re-braze it to the butted head set just turn down the tip of the pipe to the desired insert length.

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
Maybe you're right, I'll redraw the loop making it a bit smaller just to see what it'll look like

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Longer! Longer! 2" lower then your scale drawing, bring the bottom of the loop lower, refer to the Indian in the begining of this thread, look at the last scale drawing you posted see the horizontal crease in the paper/cardboard inbetween the lower section of front & back wheels? thats where you want to be, any realistate between where the engine will be mounted and bottom of the inner down loop can be filled with either a realistic looking crankcase engine mount or faux(fake) crank case.

Last edited:

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
hmmm, im worried if i go any lower itll bottom out when i hit a speed bump

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dude Come On! you know you gotta watch for that any way! but really 2" is not a lot and here is a really quick rendering of what I was talking about, maybe this might help with the visualizing thing/(LOL!) remember if yer gonna do all this nice work Astetic's & design(looks) play a very important roll in fab

Attachments

Last edited:

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I agree with truckd, make it a little bit lower. Look at the Indian...that hoop is like 2" off the ground! To get the right look, that thing's gotta be LOW! that's how I did my drop loop and I think it looks perfect!

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I'm actually thinking about bending up loops by the dozen or so and selling them to people doing a BTR drop loop on a worksman frame. the geometry I designed ties in very easily to the original down tube, and matches the seat post angle exactly once its welded up. Might be good for people that don't have access to a mandrel bender?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
You Can also refer to my 1911 Indian ,look how low it is but yet it will still clear a speed bump if ridden correctly, what do you think about the crank case and mounting system I drew? something to play in yer mind with, you can have the Idea free of charge (LOL!) Ha! Ha!

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i absolutley love the lines on this build, but his frame loop doesnt seem to go much lower than mine?

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
I say build it your way, just the way you mocked it up. I think it will look good. But then again who am I to say anything.
i will play with both ideas and see which looks better. thanks for chiming in

I'm actually thinking about bending up loops by the dozen or so and selling them to people doing a BTR drop loop on a worksman frame. the geometry I designed ties in very easily to the original down tube, and matches the seat post angle exactly once its welded up. Might be good for people that don't have access to a mandrel bender?
my frame is also stretched 5"

i also have to take Maxvision into consideration, he is the one who is helping me bring this idea to reality

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That is a Taylar built BTR and one of the low numder production frame's since this bike was built the drop loop fra design has been lowered 1" ( on the Worksman Frames 2") the geometry of the Worksman frame is high because they are essentially an industerial use bicycle, the frame pictured above was totally hand fabricated meaning nothing on that built was built in a factory on a production line, except for the Worksman wheels,clutch lever,throttle assembly and Chinee engine, I know because I had visited Dans several times during the coarse of this build.
Dan and I are good friends and we are currently ingaged in a joint build comming up after his curent customer's build complition, so I get a wealth of knowledge from Dan,he also did the fab work on Black Jack to my design spec's and did the fab of the Indian(prototype #1)
Few Pic's of my Indian but also you can see progression in frame mods too from the pic you posted the forks are different mine are true authentic period style design on the other bike are Dan's design truss rod forks he makes both styles depending on a clients request. last pic of my we're design a fabricating the exhaust pipe final work.

Attachments

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
those are some amazing bikes, any idea how many hours goes into them?

update:

went over to Maxvision's and we managed to get the don tube with the loop made (we made the loop a bit larger and lower:

by the size of that loop youd think im putting in a V twin in there lol

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That looks so much better! and you will be surprized at how much realistate you'll fill with all the extra goodies you know your going to put on it and the other stuff you'll put on it as you go, lots of room, bike looks good! have you thought about the mounts I drew up real quick, not as hard to fab as you might think and it uses that extra little realistate wisely.
Remember to dry fit everything! before re-brazing or welding so you can avoid the headache later, you might catch something you over looked or want to make a last minute minor mod.
I know you want to build the bike the way you have it in your mind but do your self a favor and do some research on the indian motor mounts and others as well, it's that one detail for that area or part of the bike you just don't want overlooked or funky fudged.
The pic's of the Indian are all the same bike just different stages of the build, between Dan's original design and fab and me actuallly building it, and trust me I took my time and did it right about 400 hrs, mind you nothing on this bike is stock,EVERY INCH is custom and highly modified and well thought out,you name it whatever you see? this ain't no kit bike, loved every minute of it too.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
\./ your bike is looking great, really nice!!!!!! This will be a nice one.

Trukd, you're full of ideas, are you finally doing your own fab work and welding yet?

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
thanks guys.

truckd:
im gonna have to come up with disguising the motor mounts a bit later, i definitely like what you sketched out on the previous page, i had something similar in mind as well.

harry76:
thanks, i cant wait till this bike starts to be put together. im getting more and more ideas every day