Felt slater Q matic New Build

GoldenMotor.com

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
3 years and not a peep more in this thread... I hate to bump it, but in hours of searching forums this is the closest I've come to figuring out some kind of shifting option with the Q-matic. Is an internally-geared rear hub the solution? Has anyone cracked the secret of some kind of jackshaft setup (similar to a SickBikeParts setup) with the Q-matic? Are internal-geared hubs the only ticket?

One wonders... and the search for answers continues...

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
It was mentioned in another thread that the "2-matic" was successful in the prototype phase but that the added complexity of the unit was making it cost-prohibitive to mass-produce... that was back in 2012, so it might be that the 2-speed Q-matic has been indefinitely shelved :(

I've spent the past few hours staring at my bike up on the stand in the garage and pouring over old posts on the forums, and could it be that the real reason no one has made a jackshaft kit to accommodate the Q-matic is that the added gearing options don't really make that much of a difference? A HS-142f redlines at ~8k RPM, and should be happy to putter along at ~6k RPM all day - with a 60-tooth sprocket in the back, maybe the hill-climbing ability and cruising ability of such a setup is sufficient for most people? I live in a rather hilly place and there are a couple of significant hills between my house and work, so maybe I'm just overly-conscious (and over-reactive) about hills?

To use, say, the SBP jackshaft kit (which I have) with the Q-matic you'd need either a super long frame (so the engine sits far forward, enough so that the chain would fit around the jackshaft sprocket and the Q-matic clutch sprocket) OR you'd need some way to offset the carb (so you could back the engine up as close to the seat tube as possible, so the Q-matic would hang back behind the seat tube). Because the darn thing is so solidly built, it's nigh impossible without a custom frame (or chopper frame or something) to line up the clutch with a jackshaft sprocket.

...maybe I've answered my own question......... zpt

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
3 years and not a peep more in this thread... I hate to bump it, but in hours of searching forums this is the closest I've come to figuring out some kind of shifting option with the Q-matic. Is an internally-geared rear hub the solution? Has anyone cracked the secret of some kind of jackshaft setup (similar to a SickBikeParts setup) with the Q-matic? Are internal-geared hubs the only ticket?

One wonders... and the search for answers continues...
Hi
I have photo's that can help you do a qmatic with the SBP shifter kit, these pics even show the distance needed from the rear wheel to the seat post, if you want the pictures email me direct and I will email them to you.

Cheers
Terry

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hi
I have photo's that can help you do a qmatic with the SBP shifter kit, these pics even show the distance needed from the rear wheel to the seat post, if you want the pictures email me direct and I will email them to you.

Cheers
Terry
Why not post them for all to see? There are no secrets to this set-up......pretty straight forward really.....

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hey why didn't I think of that LOL ok I will post them as long as I don't have to resize them all.

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0800-1.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG In this pic it shows the piece that needs to be cut off then welded on the other side

IMG_20130727_131018.jpg

Last edited:

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
This is great! Thanks for posting - I think my frame will indeed work, I'll just have to get creative. Now if only all my housemates weren't sleeping so I could make noise in the garage without getting an earful laff

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
those drives are very cool well done with the shifter kit

wish i could get one (q-matic) seems no one ships to australia though

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Hey I just thought I would post this video it is Pauls Felt Slater with a Qmatic and a SBP shifter kit and it sounds sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2puqGc4_cPo&list=UU7gJqAzQseXsy9CjLEaYXVA

Cheers

Terry
This was one of the first clues I came across that someone else out there was trying (had successfully tried!) to adapt a shifter kit to the Q-matic. His engine sounds so lovely. I just wish he would show us the actual bike! The camera pans down only a few times in the video and in all cases it's too quick to discern any details :(

Terry, in the pictures you posted, what sort of frame are you mounting the Q-matic/SBP shift kit into? It looks like a cruiser frame, but is it something specific?

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Just curious, why exactly do you want to shift kit a Q-Matic? It's not going to handle hills much better and you won't raise it's top speed.
All it'll likely do is wear the clutch out quicker. I don't think the OP was successful in his shift kit endeavor with the Q-Matic.
He claimed it was a prototype for SBP when he was trying to sell it with only 200 miles on it.

Nothing from SBP ever came about and he never got to break it in. That doesn't bode well, IMHO.

By the way, the naysayer he was telling to "shove it" in the video is me. I never told him it couldn't be done, I told him it was a waste of time.

I'm still of the opinion that it is, and his actions seem to agree.

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
It's not going to handle hills much better and you won't raise it's top speed.
Interesting - could you expand on that?
Unless I'm totally mis-understanding something... the advantage of a shift kit is a variable gear ratio, so that you climb hills better and not redline on flat streets. From reading what others have posted and visually looking at my Q-matic, it evidently functions like the other transmissions out there except with far superior build quality and the clutch is located in the rear. This means that it still has a static gear ratio, and a bigger/smaller rear sprocket would be the only way of changing that... right?

My goal here is to be able to make it up the two decent-sized hills between home and work (and any other reasonable hills I might encounter), and then not strain my engine when I'm cruising along on flat terrain. I don't need to go over 30mph, but I'd like to get to that speed without my engine sounding like it's going to blow up.

My previous setup (Hoot transmission with jackshaft kit) could do that fairly well - it had some issues early on with the carb and a replacement carb fixed things right up, but I had all of a day and a half to explore that new carb's limits before the Hoot bit the big one. Still, I could putt up hills no problem and when cruising the engine was nowhere near redline.

Am I missing something obvious here? Say I had a hypothetical perfect bike frame that fit the engine, jackshaft kit, and Q-matic perfectly - does the QM work well to the point where the added gear ratios just wouldn't help much? Should I just go with a 60t or 62t sprocket in the back, and be mindful of the RPM on flats?

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Interesting - could you expand on that?
Unless I'm totally mis-understanding something... the advantage of a shift kit is a variable gear ratio, so that you climb hills better and not redline on flat streets. From reading what others have posted and visually looking at my Q-matic, it evidently functions like the other transmissions out there except with far superior build quality and the clutch is located in the rear. This means that it still has a static gear ratio, and a bigger/smaller rear sprocket would be the only way of changing that... right?

My goal here is to be able to make it up the two decent-sized hills between home and work (and any other reasonable hills I might encounter), and then not strain my engine when I'm cruising along on flat terrain. I don't need to go over 30mph, but I'd like to get to that speed without my engine sounding like it's going to blow up.

My previous setup (Hoot transmission with jackshaft kit) could do that fairly well - it had some issues early on with the carb and a replacement carb fixed things right up, but I had all of a day and a half to explore that new carb's limits before the Hoot bit the big one. Still, I could putt up hills no problem and when cruising the engine was nowhere near redline.

Am I missing something obvious here? Say I had a hypothetical perfect bike frame that fit the engine, jackshaft kit, and Q-matic perfectly - does the QM work well to the point where the added gear ratios just wouldn't help much? Should I just go with a 60t or 62t sprocket in the back, and be mindful of the RPM on flats?
Well said, if you have the means to do this simple mod it is well worth it.
I my self I have a SBP 4 stroke shifter kit and I am going to do the shifter kit with my Huasheng 144F ID generator engine on my Felt MP, for towing and climbing hills and keeping the rpms down on the flats, all negative the talk in world will not change my mind.
Because I know exactly what I will end up with, a I bike that will be able to do what it is I need it to do and a stock qmatic will not do it.

Terry

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The simpler and more powerful solution I use to tackle hills and traffic that uses a 2-disc centrifugal clutch and no need for gears is a 99cc predator. No f-fing around, it gets up and goes! Single speed beach cruiser baby......catch me if you can.

.wee.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Here are some pictures of a bike I helped a customer build, but he did way more than he needed to do and included a spring loaded chain tensioner and a few other unnecessary parts.

It is a Qmatic with a shifter kit, rear wheel has a Sturmey Archer 8 speed, custom exaust I built for him and a Honda GXH with a custom cam, High performance Carb and Filters, can you say ZOOM!

closeup-1 low-res.jpg

closeup-2 low-res.jpg

final 1 low res.jpg

final 2 low res.jpg

overall-1 low-res.jpg

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
The simpler and more powerful solution I use to tackle hills and traffic that uses a 2-disc centrifugal clutch and no need for gears is a 99cc predator. No f-fing around, it gets up and goes! Single speed beach cruiser baby......catch me if you can.

.wee.
LOL Scotto no matter how we do it we are stepping out side the rules, but oh so much fun untill then WINK!

Cheers

Ooontzler

Feb 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
Here are some pictures of a bike I helped a customer build, but he did way more than he needed to do and included a spring loaded chain tensioner and a few other unnecessary parts.

It is a Qmatic with a shifter kit, rear wheel has a Sturmey Archer 8 speed, custom exaust I built for him and a Honda GXH with a custom cam, High performance Carb and Filters, can you say ZOOM!

View attachment 69022

View attachment 69023

View attachment 69024

View attachment 69025

View attachment 69026

Wow, now that is a sweet ride! So a Q-matic/jackshaft shifting kit it is possible, just bloody difficult laff

The top jackshaft mount fastener that holds it to the frame is very clever - having all that clearance between the seat tube and the rear wheel is essential, as I'm coming to discover. I don't think the current frame I have (older Trek 6800:confused:) has sufficient clearance - the more I research and investigate other bike frames, the more I'm thinking that no frame has the dimensions necessary to mount the engine + Q-matic in the frame and then have the jackshaft mount mated to the seat tube like normal - the QM is just to dang long, and no matter what it's going to be impossible to get the cluch and jackshaft sprockets to line up. Suspending the jackshaft out from the frame like that might just be the ticket - somehow securing it in place so it doesn't move/rattle around is another story. This frame might not be the ideal candidate after all...

If only tomorrow wasn't Monday... have to work, can't spend the day in the garage!

Thanks for all the input guys, this is super helpful!