Felt Cruiser Build......not for cruising

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
thanks scotto. will get back to you with results i know right now its engaging right off idle which makes starting this bike very interesting it wants to take off instantly its a little scary LOL!! i dont know how im in the first hole if stock is the 2nd hole i have never adjusted it i wonder if it somehow slipped into that position? because i believe it was in the middle hole when i installed it.thanks again,
glenn
Well I'm really just assuming that the middle hole is the stock setting as two of mine (and everyone I've seen) from the factory were in that position.

Yeah, as soon as the unit engages the front wheel starts aiming for the sky as the bike lunges forward like a rocket ;) Nothin wrong with that on the starting line, but taking off on a green light in an intersection gets exciting lol!

I was gonna get the stiffer (yellow) spring for the driven pulley to see how that works, but haven't gotten around to it yet as I've said cuz it just works really well with the driven pulley in the stock position.

So if you play with a stiffer spring or the settings, note what you find and let us know what you think if ya will.

Cheers,
scotto-

dnut

chrisc

Mar 26, 2012
woonsocket, ri
Looks like a great project. Wondering where you got the motor and how much? Also did it come with the gear box? I've been looking into getting the predator 99cc but not sure where or how much it would cost me to get the gear box.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks like a great project. Wondering where you got the motor and how much? Also did it come with the gear box? I've been looking into getting the predator 99cc but not sure where or how much it would cost me to get the gear box.
Hi chrisc, the engine is from Harbor Freight and I got it on sale for $103 out the door. It does not come with a gear box, nor does the 99cc Predator. I got the gearbox (CVT) from AGK in Santa Barbara. A tranny for these type engines typically run $130- $300 depending on the type and quality of the clutch.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is a little update on how the Slant performed at it's second race event.......

Yes, had some fun battles with Ice Man and Nashmoto but was lucky enough to pull off a couple of wins at Grange.

A little race talk here as I don't know where else to post it on the forum (hint, hint).
As far as racing in the big-bore class with bikes such as this build, you've got some serious competition in this class. With the likes of Jonathan Wolf (culvercity classics son), Nashmoto, Magrider, Easy Rider and many others, I don't expect anyone to really dominate this class, but it is a fun and challenging race to the max. The builds just keep getting better and better and the above mentioned names are the ones you want to learn from.

Jeff (culvercity classics) builds the meanest machines around, Magrider has built 2 of the toughest contenders also with the big HF build he did for his Bro and the exotic Morini build that once dialed in is gonna be smokin! Then there is Nashmoto with his new big-bore build.......given a bit more HP and no mechanicals...watchout! I say this with much respect to these guys and many others whom I race with.....pay attention to their builds and know you're in for some fierce competition in this class. It's really anybody's game.....some days ya win, some days ya don't. But it is so much fun racing at these events with such talented cool people!

Now back to our regular schedualed program :D

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Grat's on the win man! All your effort seems to be paying off in spades, or at least Trophies :p

So does this mean you get the #1 plate next race? :D
Ya know Greg, possibly and maybe theorhetically, but I forget how that works exactly......and quite frankly I hope not. I'm very happy and content having the #3 plate and all, but when you carry the #1 plate as earned, you carry the responsibility of trying to keep it and racers will stop at nothing to take it away from you ;) Paul D or Magrider are good keepers of that title (or Dave31 or Alex for that matter). If I was to predict the next #1 gas motorized bicycle racer, I'd put my money on the Ice Man......that kid is on fire!

I truly am stoked that I won 3 races in my classes (and DNF'd 1 heat race), I got lucky in the Final's (unlike last Grange) and fluked the ultimate race but it sure felt good! (^)

dnut

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Scotto, your win is not a fluke. You've done the testing and tuning. You come to the track prepared. Every time I run into a problem with our torque converter I talk to you and realize you've already experienced the same problem and came up with a solution. We have not been able to match what you've done with the 6.5hp engine and torque converter. Congratulations on your hard work getting this combination dialed in.

You are right about the Culver City Classics team being a force to reckon with. With our radar gun The Iceman posted a 54mph top speed at the end of the straight. That's the fastest speed we have recorded for a gas bike at the Grange track. Our high output clone engine went 51mph at the last Grange race. You are right, this is turning into a very competitive class!

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Congratulations on your win scotto. It was thrilling watching you and the iceman battle it out in one of the races, but I'm sure it was more of a adrenaline rush racing it. Kuddos again and Im keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be ready to go at the next race, well wait and see what the doctor says.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks, Dave, Shane, Bill, Greg and everyone else for the grats and kind words, it really makes all of the effort worth it!

Scotto, your win is not a fluke. You've done the testing and tuning. You come to the track prepared. Every time I run into a problem with our torque converter I talk to you and realize you've already experienced the same problem and came up with a solution. We have not been able to match what you've done with the 6.5hp engine and torque converter. Congratulations on your hard work getting this combination dialed in.

You are right about the Culver City Classics team being a force to reckon with. With our radar gun The Iceman posted a 54mph top speed at the end of the straight. That's the fastest speed we have recorded for a gas bike at the Grange track. Our high output clone engine went 51mph at the last Grange race. You are right, this is turning into a very competitive class!
Big thanks to AGK for sponsoring these races and giving out some really great prizes (parts)!

Shane, it's of many great thanks to you and your team for making the bikes like mine possible. You paved the trail with your monster bike and making the parts available for all of us to try and keep up. You and your son Blaze are great riders and always stiff competition in the 4-stroke classes. As I see it, your son and Jeff's son will be the one's to try to beat. I will be there to keep the heat on and have a lot of fun while doing so. Can't wait to get back on the track with a few mods to the Slant. Let's just say it should handle better than ever ;)

I think I figured out why I wasn't pulling the higher rpm at Grange that I was here at home the week before. It was a little combination of the higher elevation, gearing just a little taller for the race and running a brand new belt on the CVT. It all made sense when I got back home to sea level and took the bike for good ride. One last note, the brand new belt still looks brand new, almost no wear whatsoever after 4 hard races.

#3 in the yellow jersey,
scotto-
.wee.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Thanks, Dave, Shane, Bill, Greg and everyone else for the grats and kind words, it really makes all of the effort worth it!

Big thanks to AGK for sponsoring these races and giving out some really great prizes (parts)!

Shane, it's of many great thanks to you and your team for making the bikes like mine possible. You paved the trail with your monster bike and making the parts available for all of us to try and keep up. You and your son Blaze are great riders and always stiff competition in the 4-stroke classes. As I see it, your son and Jeff's son will be the one's to try to beat. I will be there to keep the heat on and have a lot of fun while doing so. Can't wait to get back on the track with a few mods to the Slant. Let's just say it should handle better than ever ;)

I think I figured out why I wasn't pulling the higher rpm at Grange that I was here at home the week before. It was a little combination of the higher elevation, gearing just a little taller for the race and running a brand new belt on the CVT. It all made sense when I got back home to sea level and took the bike for good ride. One last note, the brand new belt still looks brand new, almost no wear whatsoever after 4 hard races.

#3 in the yellow jersey,
scotto-
.wee.
Thanks Scotto, I really appreciate it! I think about the first time we brought out our bike with the highly modified clone engine. We lapped the Morini bike that came in second. I thought we were going to be able to ride that wave for a while before anyone caught up. Now, just a couple races later we are seeing some really insane bikes that are running so good! I love seeing the sport advance. I really appreciate all the information you shared with us on the torque converter setup. You were always one step ahead with that thing and already dealt with the issues we kept encountering. And for those of you who don't know me, I'll share any and all information about my bikes that you may be interested in. It helps the sport grow.

Anyway this is becoming more and more fun with all the great bikes coming out. I look forward to seeing what the Slant will do with the mods you have planned.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here is a peek at a few things in the works....

count all those spokes....
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/img1459bc.jpg/]
[/URL]
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/img1458x.jpg/]
[/URL]

there is more to come......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Today I made a new front mounting bracket for the exhaust.......it's the 4th one since I've built this bike and they just keep breaking. A little different in design from the previous ones which were made of steel.......we'll see how this one holds up......

dnut

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Today I made a new front mounting bracket for the exhaust.......it's the 4th one since I've built this bike and they just keep breaking. A little different in design from the previous ones which were made of steel.......we'll see how this one holds up......

dnut
How about using a muffler clamp and rubber tailpipe hanger?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Band steel tack welded to the muffler clamp u part and that other clamp mebbe? If the tube diameters will cooperate? Then a thin stripe of high density thin rubber? Got a freind that used a muffler clamp like that with flat stock steel that has help up on a vibrating H.T. For ever so far on his over head run tuned pipe from a dirt bike.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Band steel tack welded to the muffler clamp u part and that other clamp mebbe? If the tube diameters will cooperate? Then a thin stripe of high density thin rubber? Got a freind that used a muffler clamp like that with flat stock steel that has help up on a vibrating H.T. For ever so far on his over head run tuned pipe from a dirt bike.
Muffler clamps could work as that's what's holding the jackshaft in place on the seat tube. We'll see if this holds up first.....not gonna hold my breath though laff

dnut