F_Rod's HF99 BTR

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
I can't wait to ride with you and your bike this spring. We can both introduce our winter builds. They're both black and they should compliment each other nicely. Yours is looking so good.

Come down anytime. My neighbor, the one who bought the blue Jag is always wanting to ride. We can make an afternoon of it. Hope for an early spring, or at least some good weather.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Frank,
I can't wait to ride with you and your bike this spring. We can both introduce our winter builds. They're both black and they should compliment each other nicely. Yours is looking so good.

Come down anytime. My neighbor, the one who bought the blue Jag is always wanting to ride. We can make an afternoon of it. Hope for an early spring, or at least some good weather.

Tom
Yeah I hope we have an early spring this year so we can get in plenty of big cruises. We're getting ready to move back into the city so soon; so I'll be able to come down here and there so we can ride, get a steak and a beer or something. Thanks again for the compliments, your bike is looking sweet also, I just replied to your thread.

Keep in touch

Frank

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks for the recent compliments guys. I think it's feedback that fuels us all to keep going. I'd like to get the thing powder coated a different color, but I have no idea what color??? Probably a prewar look, something with white or grey rubbers.

There's a top view in post #37 where you can read the Gyes stamp. Nice looking bike!
Thanks Harold for referencing the saddle...

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
So the time has come for a better carburetor. The 99cc is okay in close to stock form. However when you start to modify the engine the stock carb just isn't enough. I didn’t like the selection out there for aftermarket carbs. The stock carb on the 79/99cc predator has a bore of .428” or roughly 10.8mm. AGK offers a claimed big bore carb that has a bore of .487” or roughly 12.4mm. That to me is not much of an improvement for the money. The 12.4mm throat on the BB carb is smaller than the stock NT carb which is around 13.3mm. So last Saturday I experimented with some parts lying around and have produced some amazing results…

I opened up the stock gasket from the 99cc. I have an old 40MM billet intake that I want to use. One speed bump with it though... the manifold bolt spacing is 40mm center to center and the bolt spacing on the engine is 38mm center to center. Now that that is taken care of I can mount it up>>>

I think I skipped a picture or two, sorry!

Fits great!!!I'll post the rest as soon as I have time...

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
continued...

Perfect fit and a nice tight seal. My carburetor of choice is the Dellorto SHA; it has a flat slide and a 14.1mm throat; plus it was just sitting on my tool bench waiting for another 2 stroke build. I use these carbs on all my 2 strokes and they have never disappointed me. No more stock POS>>>

I do not like the plastic cover, so I'll leave it off. It looks more vintage. I just need to drill some small holes and screw it in place to keep the filter from falling off.

I haven't had a chance to take it out for a 50+mi ride yet, but... I can tell just from riding it around the neighborhood and to the store that it has a lot more power. Horsepower & torque have increased across the board (especially on the top end), it starts easier, and the idle rpms can be set much lower. I got it down to around 1520rpms without it dying out. I still need to take it out for a long ride so I can play with the jetting and get it dialed in good.

I think the first place will be the hardware store for a new fuel line and filter. Holy Sh*t, I didn't know it was that dirty until I seen what it looks like in the picture.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"Holy Sh*t, I didn't know it was that dirty until I seen what it looks like in the picture."

Yeah, I wish you'd at least clean things up before you post pictures. For-cryin'-out-loud.
Looks like a junk yard! :)

Good report, Frank. I'm glad the new carb is working for you. Wanna race?
Hopefully we can ride together again some day. It is always a pleasure.
Keep us up to date on things when you get it dialed in.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It's an older fog light from my former Jeep. I went to radio shack and got supplies to make a rechargeable 12V battery box. You should be able to see the battery box right in from of my seat.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
O ok cool. How did you make it rechargeable? Sorry for asking. When it comes to electricity of any kind, I do not know a whole lot....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
O ok cool. How did you make it rechargeable? Sorry for asking. When it comes to electricity of any kind, I do not know a whole lot....
Frank means the battery is rechargable. It is a SLA or sealed lead acid battery that just requires a charger of the proper voltage. In this case a twelve volt charger. It doesn't recharge while he's riding only when he plugs the battery in to a charger in his garage.

Tom

danjpendleton

Dec 19, 2013
new hampshire, USA
Love the bike F_Rod

I just picked up a micargi cruiser with 26" wheels that I am currently converting into an electric BTR. I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer for me.

I know you said you were running worksman wheels. Just wondering if they are 26" and also wondering what spec tires you are running. Im trying to hone down my choice of wheels and tires for my bike. I need a strong set of 36 spoke wheels, maybe a tad wider than yours. I like the overall diameter though.

I ordered a set of cruiser bars for my bike, but the center of the bar where it is mounted in the stem is too fat. just wondering where you picked up your bars because they look awesome. I have a straight bart that might work.

The other question I have is whether you modified that seat bracket at all? I like the way the seat is setback. Where did you source the seat?

In no way am I trying to copy your bike. I just like the look and would like to incorporate the board track look into my ebike.

heres a pic of what im working with out of the box

Untitled by danjpendleton, on Flickr

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The wheelbase looks a tad long because the rear isn't adjusted or tightened. The forks are just there more or less. For some reason the headtube on this frame is for a 1 1/8" headset and not the traditional old fashion 1". Not a big problem, I prefer 1 1/8'', but now I need to buy a headtube reducer so I can use my monark forks. Overall, this is going to be a fun project.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looking forward to seeing it finished, Frank. Are you sticking to traditional black? Can't go wrong with black. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Tom