F_Rod's HF99 BTR

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Re: F_Rod's Winter Build

First off, thank all you guys for the feedback so far. I appreciate every-bit of it. (^)

Okay, so here are some more pictures that I mentioned earlier... I received my seatpost from Pat @ Sportsman Flyer. It gives the bike a sleeker look and is functional as well, it placed the seat right where I wanted given that I'm a taller rider. I put on a classic Colorado bicycle license plate from 1953 to give the bike just a little pop of color. I also installed a 10T sprocket idler roller, rather then using the plastic kit wheel. I still can't figure out which way to go for a headlight; I've just been using my pedal bike lights for the time being, but they are not bright enough to use on a permanent basis. I was thinking a Cygolight of some sort. I'll let you guys know and post some more pictures when I get a headlight. Now that most of the cosmetics are out of the way time to work on the performance mods.

Last edited:

gshock300

Sep 3, 2011
Brisbane

Hey F rod,

Like your bike, its pretty much what mines going to look like except Im using a chinagirl. Is that a Monark fork youve got on there? Ive had problems trying to get clearance with mine, the bolt heads on the rocker plates interfere with the wheel on both sides. On the right, they touch the disc hub mount and on the right, they touch the spokes. Ive got a rear axle in the wheel atm to give me more length so I can use spacers to push the forks apart and give me clearance for the wheel. Did you have any problems with yours? Ive just got a standard Alex rim D17 100mm hub wheel.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

I need a new saddle. Will and I put in around 120 miles today. I don't know if it's just because the first big ride of the year or that maybe the ergonomics aren't right for this particular frame. I'll give it another big ride to determine if I indeed do need a new saddle, but I feel sore like never before.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

another note: I got my bike up to 41.1mph today still in break-in (no hill, no wind). I'll post a speedometer picture in the morning for all the non-believers out there...

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

I hear what your saying Ale. I highly doubt that I'll be exceeding 35mph on a regular basis, the bike cruises great even at lower speeds. I just wanted to see what it was capable of, now I know what it can do. My 2 stroke is still way faster all through the rpm range to max speed.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

Yeah, going from an HT66 to a HS/Titan or even a GXH50 is a downgrade in power. But you have a solid setup there.

Should be pretty trouble-free. If you never want to exceed 35, you could switch to a 60T and get better hillclimbing, even.

The Q-matic is an understressed design, so it's capable of really high revs.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

So I ordered the SBP Air filter the other day and received it yesterday. I installed it and it looked sweet, the only problem is that it sucks in way too much air. It sucks in so much air that it won't let the motor run properly without having to re-jet, I tried every tuning possibility and nothing gets it dialed in... the fuel just passes right through. So I threw the stock air-box back on and reset the carb and it runs perfect again. I ordered the AGK modified carb, but it's on back order, so I'll just have to wait until it comes in so I can put the air filter back on and tune them properly together. More to follow....

scratg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I'm lovin' the stance that thing has. It reeks of 'Hot Rod'. It looks like you have a lay-back seat post but I have to wonder what it would look like with the saddle just a little more to the rear. Maybe a banana, black leather or vinyl? :)

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

I finally replaced my saddle...

The seat that I have been using for over a year just wasn't right for this bike. Although the old seat looked like a leather saddle, it was just a pretty much a mountain bike seat... hard and narrow. After about 30 miles my back would get uncomfortable and so did my butt.

I finally bought a real leather saddle and this thing is amazing! Even right out of the box it is much more comfortable then any other saddle I have ever used. I got some leather treatment so this thing breaks in perfect and stays looking good. We rode about 60 miles on Saturday and I felt great no discomfort after riding what-so-ever. I highly recommend putting one on you list of mods if you don't already have one. (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Looks good, Frank. In fact it looks like it was made for your bike. Much better than my banana idea.
Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

So I ran into a little snag. "My pedal chain broke", luckily I was close to home when this happened. Now my paint is scuffed up where it wrapped around the frame :(.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Now that just stinks :( Get out the sandpaper and rattle can. Or, leave the scrapes as battle scars.

I know you'll fix it. Broken pedal chains aren't typical. What happened?

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Now that just stinks :( Get out the sandpaper and rattle can. Or, leave the scrapes as battle scars.

I know you'll fix it. Broken pedal chains aren't typical. What happened?

Tom
I'll leave the battle scars for now, it doesn't look too bad. I'll either repaint or get the bike powder coated in the summer. The chain is fixed now, my only diagnosis is that the chain was old and needed to be replace sooner or later.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Well with all the predator talk going on these days I figured "what the heck"... here she is after the conversion! This motor is bad azz!!! Now I just need to fully break it in, dial in the tuning, and repaint.

I couldn't get the kit clamps & agk mounting plate to my liking... the engine sat at a weird angle just didn't look right. I fabricated a mount out of 2'' angled steel and had it welded in place (perfectly level).

I thought of chain line before hand, so instead of trying to be spot on with the staggered bolt footprint this motor has, I used the mounting plate that the HF99 came with and made sure the chain line was as close to perfect as I could get it. When it was where I wanted I just clamped it in place with some vice-grips and marked my hole pattern, drilled and wah lah.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Guess I'll just have to pedal faster to keep up with all you hot rod guys. Or, maybe I'll buy a motorcycle...and put pedals on it :)

Looking great, Frank. Can't wait to see that puppy.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Okay here are a few updates that I should have posted about a month ago. I haven't been to active on the forum being busy with work and all. Anyway, I wanted more of a BTR feel and look to the bike; rather then a bobber or cruiser look that it has always had. I put on some inverted handlebars and cut them to the length I felt comfortable with. After the swap the bike rides a lot different, better, but different. The HF99 is a gas guzzler compared to the HS. So I ordered the Whizzer reproduction tank that is sold on eBay by LEB / BGF. Very nice tank, it fit well and looks much better then the stock peanut tank that I was previously using. Now I can have a little peace of mind knowing that I don't have to stop for gas as often.

Last edited: