F_Rod's HF99 BTR

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Well, after months of thinking and about a notebook of ideas my build is finally up and running. I decided to go with a good old fashioned American built Schwinn frame. There was some okay weather for painting the other day, so I made a hillbilly paint-booth in my garage and got to work. I had to add my personal touches to it of course!

Now the fun is about to commence, I got my EZM kit on the 17th and the weather is allowing me to go in the garage so I can start assembling the MB. Here is a picture of the bike with the SBP bottom bracket adapters along with their 153mm cartridge spindle, the modified sprocket on the bike and the sprocket on the wheel itself... I got the 3 piece wide crank set from BGF.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Re: F_Rod's Winter Build

Now that the bike is ready to house the motor might as well go ahead and drop it in... when I got around to installing the motor it was really cold so I brought the bike and some tools inside.

Looks good so far, got to the motor in and leveled and I called it a night. A night of sleep and a cup of coffee in the morning and I'm back to the garage for the rest of the install. I ended up getting a little carried away and forgot to take pictures along the way, but here is the bike about 90% complete...

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

So I took it out for a test ride and got about 4 blocks before the chain torqued the sprocket out of alignment, so I had to fix it roadside and then I went back home after that. I got home and come to find out that the rag joint was the problem. I could not for the life of me figure out where the misalignment was coming from so I ditched the rag joint and ordered the proper setup.

I'm guess you can say that I'm the impatient type, I paid $20 for the 2day express shipping and got my hub adapter and sprocket today :D. It installed in less then 10 minutes and it corrected the problem right out of the box. Now that I own one and have ridden and felt the difference, a hub adapter is an absolute must if you ask me.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Here is the sprocket and adapter on the bike... I can't believe I never bought one for my 2 stroke.

And the MB with the pirate cycles adapter and sprocket installed.

There are still a few things that I need to do to the bike in order for it to be closer to being finished. I ordered a layback seatpost from Sportsman that should be here any day now, I need to add a headlight and paint the rear sprocket, the motor cover, just the little things that need to be done. As much as I hate the chain tensioner, this frame won't allow me to run it without, so I need to figure out a better system for chain tension. I just wanted to share my progress with you guys, and get some feedback. More mods and pictures are to follow.... so stay tuned to this thread if you like. Thanks !

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Frank,
Knowing you and your build quality, I'm sure this will be a great ride. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on our trails.
I'll make you an offer; if I can ride it, you can ride my chopper :)
That is if it ever warms up enough to get some paint on this thing.
Good work. Let's go riding.
Tom

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co

nice job frank it looks great im sure it purrs like a kitten...now if i could get my hands on mine...it keeps slipping out of my fingers...dang i need a four stroke lol....looking forward to cruising soon man

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas

Thats a really nice bike!That sprocket adapter looks really nice.I would like to get one latter on.so,how fast is it?how much you want for it?

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af

seems like everyone on here is going 4 stroke...are they really THAT much more reliable? Im debating between 99cc predator or of course electric...

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

good looking bike is that 56 tooth sprocket on the hub adaptor ? little jealous of how good your bike came out .

the layed back seat post is gona look perfect on that thing .

did you name it yet ?

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af

is the mounting plate slotted, so you can move motor to right or left to not even have to use chain tensioner?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

good looking bike is that 56 tooth sprocket on the hub adaptor ? little jealous of how good your bike came out .

the layed back seat post is gona look perfect on that thing .

did you name it yet ?
is the mounting plate slotted, so you can move motor to right or left to not even have to use chain tensioner?
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys! Yes Andrew I decided to go with the 56T since I'll more then likely never tow anything. I like the way things turned out I still have to do a few things to make it exactly how I want it (especially the seatpost) if it would ever get here, but you know just as good as anybody that the upgrades whether cosmetic or performance, it never stops. No I haven't named it yet... I don't even know where to start. I guess I better start thinking of some names :).

Haste,

The mounting plate is able to be moved forward and backwards, as well as side to side. As much as I hate the tensioner some bikes just won't allow the needed play to run without one. That's why it's nice to find a bike with horizontal rear exit drop-outs.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

I think I have all the bugs worked out, it rides great and is more powerful then I expected. I can't wait to see what it will do once it is fully broken in. Now I can start working on the cosmetics a little more. Yesterday I painted the red engine cover to black and let it cure over night before I re-installed it earlier today. It looks 10 times better with the black cover. I also put my Guardian bell in place. More to follow later . . . .

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO

that black cover realy works on the bike .

im guessing you are ueing the 56 tooth sprocket so far whats your speed at ?
Yeah using a 56T sprocket. I couldn't get the kit sprocket and rag joint to my liking. So I purchased the Pirate Cycles setup, it works well. So far my top speed has been 34 without me pushing it, it is still in the break in period. I'm sure it will do 40mph no problem when broken in and tuned properly. I have some more pictures that I need to post: I finally received my layback seatpost, and a few more little things that I got. . . I'll post them when I have a little more time to sit at the computer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Frank,
That is one nice looking ride. I realy want to see it in person. Congratulations on another quality build.
Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

I dig it. I like how you secured the bearing carrier to the frame. Seen a few use zipties - which actually work fine - but zipties kinda lack style points :D

cough

Sounds like you have your HS singing well. 3 months ago my brother got a new HS and threw the AGK big bore carb on it, didn't bother to adjust the valves and he can't even hit 30 :D