Eliminating the driven sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
This is a phenomenal invention guys. I am STOKED. More so because you are here in WA state! I am coming to you. Don't go anywhere I'll be there in an hour..
Seriously - do you want to be an early adopter?

Update - my set-up is in pieces right now. Trying the production gears ASAP. Started reassembling last night but too many interuptions, and the fact that I don't have the full production nuts and bolts caused delays ( I was reusing China junk nuts and popped the threads on two of the nuts!!). Maybe Thursday.

Ghost0 and I will have a board meeting on Friday after visiting and lunching with a main supplier.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
I am 100% on board to be an early adopter/ ride tester. I'm a bike shop guy and UBI certified mechanic (That's a piece of paper that says I can disassemble/reassemble bikes, etc), and would be beyond stoked to either just get set up for personal use or help with the final testing and feedback in any way at all. I am mobile and able to come to you guys pretty much any evening after work.

I am somewhat poor but would do whatever I have to to pay for the necessary parts to try setting a bike up. My Spooky is a single speed bike but I have a Schwinn Sierra MTB from the late 80's which I believe would serve as an ideal platform for a build with a fresh motor and your drive system. It is a twelve speed bike using a freewheel rear gear cluster of course.

I think this innovation could really change everything about the way people are currently using their motorized rigs, and it's exciting.

blacktop_sailor

May 21, 2008
Round Rock, Texas
Any plans to make something like this for the 4-stroke kits, like the SkyhawkII?

Parts (gears etc...) should be similar, just different mounting plates, perhaps something mounted on the bike instead of on the engine case.

huckersteve

May 20, 2008
Seattle
www.gohuckyourself.com
No doubt and no expectation of freebie kits of course. As a bike industry guy and former Rep, I know what a money pit development of almost any idea for production is. Not can be, but IS.

As I said, I'm poor, but this is something worth coming up with fundage for, without a doubt.

Might need to craigslist one or two of my steeds from the stable...

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
What do you think would happen if we were to use a 7 speed Shimano hub? Do you think it would hold up? I think I saw a conversion for the Schwinn style bottom hub so we could use the outfit you are making. I don't need the speed, I want the fuel mileage and a quieter ride. I do have the proper setup on my Pacific, so I am looking forward to a kit for that. Thanks, have fun, Dave

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
What do you think would happen if we were to use a 7 speed Shimano hub? Do you think it would hold up? I think I saw a conversion for the Schwinn style bottom hub so we could use the outfit you are making. I don't need the speed, I want the fuel mileage and a quieter ride. I do have the proper setup on my Pacific, so I am looking forward to a kit for that. Thanks, have fun, Dave
Should work fine. You can get a 7 speed twist shift for the left side as well.

Hitekrdnk

May 23, 2008
You can get a BB converter to go from the cup and cone style BB that you have with a one piece crank to fit the kit BB here: FMF PowerMoto Alloy Bottom Bracket Conversion Kit: FMF BMX Racing Bicycle Products
BBbracket.jpg

Seeing as how you will be getting a new BB and cranks that is all you will need extra.

Be forewarned though that the old cottered cranks like on that yellow bike may not convert as the threading for the mtb style BB that comes with the Happy Shaft kit the boys are doing has I believe a different thread.

Ghost0, I never got a chance to get up on the hill this week to check this out but we need to get together soon! Bob, down at Ft. Fraser........

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I have the latest kit with the latest gears from the production supplier on my bike now. Everything lines up great. But just like the warning about wheel bearings (2X here), you can't have a wimpy borderline, bent bike chain. Some folks don't even really look at their bike chains. It will be imperative that your chain be in near new shape when you convert over. In fact it may be wise just to buy a new speed chain rather than spending the time inspecting all your chain plates for cracking, bowing, twist, etc.

Sprayed my brackets battleship grayish. Not show winning paint, but looks fine just a neutral color.

I'll say this much, because Ghost0 has tuned his engine, got the pipe, etc, he goes right by me!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but we are now an official LLC. We have our manual essentially complete. We are starting to order production parts. There is just so much to do and we both have real jobs, families, houses, etc.....We may just make June though!

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Thanks - just so you guys know - my ghetto right gear/chain cover is not the production shape. (although it works great). I just hacked out close to fit shape, knocked a 3/4" hole and threw it on.

Also - the production shaft won't even require that hole.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Pablo - How is the starting? Do you clutch in start pedaling and then stop pedaling let out the clutch and push the pedal through like a kick starter! I have a way I start mine like a Whizzer I just lean it over on the side stand and push the pedal through starts first time after warm 2 time cold. Have Fun, Dave

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Pablo - How is the starting? Do you clutch in start pedaling and then stop pedaling let out the clutch and push the pedal through like a kick starter! I have a way I start mine like a Whizzer I just lean it over on the side stand and push the pedal through starts first time after warm 2 time cold. Have Fun, Dave
Yes. Just get it rolling, and pedals are like a kick starter. With rear wheel off the ground a sharp engine will start right up.