can't find an answer then ask here someone may be able to help!!

GoldenMotor.com

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
Ohk i am sorry if this came up before but yea its going to be my first buil and my first working with 2 strokes.. so my question is what gas should i use do i use unleaded or those high end stuff and should i use chevron or tesoro or is like shell is the best?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
use plain old regular gas mixed with your favorite 2-stroke oil. 20 to 1 mix or 24 to1. 16 to 1 is very oil rich and will fowl the spark plug.
Until you get up to 32 to1 mix your exhaust pipe will mark its spot just like a old Harley and even then it might mark its spot so be careful of where you park the bike

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have used 20 to 1 fo the first 1/2 gallon of gas then went to 32 to1
I'm using poulan syn oil at 40 to 1 seems to be working good. I get it at Walmart.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
See if you have a good spark first if does or don't then decide if you want to spend money on it and how much you want to spend then you might want to, clean it, lube it up . What type engine is it?
does it have a carb if so clean it. once all is clean see if it will run.

ozzyf93

Nov 18, 2009
Houston Texas
All the guy told me was it was a chinese one he got off the net and that it is 48/49 cc. He said it has been in his garage for a year and yes it gets spark. I dont know how to clean the carb though, any tips?

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
hi norm whats up? so ive got abought 5 of these engins now in certan states and a couple that just arent happy but i was wondering if the mag coil was working and i spun the motor with out the top end i should be able to feel the magnetick resistance every half turn right? i would also get a curent reading would i not im not fealing eather would the rotor have lost its kick or did phyisicks change? eather way i think ive found the problem but what to do?

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I'll work with you on the problem with your bike if you can't find the answer here on the forum.
I might be able to answer you questions on a 4-stroke as well.
This should be fun for a big problem you can call me. PM me for my number.
Norman
I just opened my first engine kit. Everything seems to be here except any kind of instructions. I am fairly mechanically inclined and the only real question I have is concerning the carb. I understand (thanks to some other posts here) how to align the slide but how does the cable, spring and needle all go together? I like to do my research before i begin a project but i can not seem to find a diagram of how this little bugger goes together! Thanks for any help!

LAboy

Nov 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Norman, how to shorten clutch or brake cable housing?

in answer to how to shorten the outer housing I mark the area to be cut off with making tape
and using a dremel with a fiber cut off wheel I cut the outer housing. You will need to remover the inner cable first.
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

psifos

Jan 16, 2010
monroe
I just got this kit and it started off great but the last time i took the bike out and when i went to engage the clutch to star the motor there was no sign of it starting. I can still pedal with the clutch engaged. So I took the cover off the clutch to see what the deal was and when I went to disengage the clutch my line snapped. Any thoughts on what my problem might be?

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
Hi Norman
I left my bike sitting since New Years (20 days), and got a new paint job yesterday.
Tried to start it up today but it wouldn't go. After milking the throttle for a mile I quit trying. Then did the same lap with no luck turning the motor on. My legs are limp now from peddling away.
its a 66cc China motor.
Are there any things that happen to cause this when the motor is sitting for that long? It did get wet when the painter sprayed down the frame for paint (any problems from the motor getting wet?).
Just wondering if there are any common problems that this might be.
thanks
-Darrick

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
might be no fuel getting to the carb? OR no spark you can check for both if either one is not there
it won't start.

PaulFlorida

Dec 4, 2009
central florida
Hi Norman. I'm rebuilding my 66 right now. What is acceptable ring end gap? I never measured it new. The old cylinder and ring had .019 in. gap. The new jug, with same old ring has .015in. gap. The old cylinder has massive chrome flake-age around the general circumfrence and piston stroke, and had bad ring blow-by. Uneven bore wear indicates out-of-round bore. Only 10 tanks of gas through it. Took it easy for two tanks at 32:1 break in. Then ran it hard. Big Uni air filter. Piston top has good burn pattern, and vert. streaks of badness on skirt. Plug has a medium/light brown color.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Good question on the ring gap. I do not know that they recommend.
There should be a gap of so many thousands of an inch per diameter of the cylinder. You can do a search on the web look up 2 stroke engines with I guess chrome bore or what ever that stuff is.
I hadn't bothered as I've not bought new rings. I did check the gap on the rings I took off when they were new but its been quite a while ago. I don't remember the gap. Guessing the gap should be from 0.002 to 0.005. Could be a little more.
You can take a new cylinder, new piston and put the ring in the bore push down in to the bore about half way and then pull the piston back out and measure the end gap with a feller gauge
I would not use the old rings in a new cylinder or on the new piston in the new cylinder.
The rings probably have wear spots on them.
When they are new you can see a fine groves on the side that soon wear off on the cylinder the rings on my engine were that way Had real fine grooves.
looking at used rings closely you will see wear patterns on their top and bottom and the fine grooves will be worn off completely or in spots.
the piston on one of my engines when it was new had a wall clearance of 0.001 at the base of the piston and slightly more towards the top if I remember right? I think I had it posted some where might be in the engine tear down post.
I wasn't much help maybe some of the guys who hop these engine up might be able to give you more or even better info.
Paulflordia I put a post on the high performance section for you one of the guys should give you some good info there.
Flybttaco has your answer below thanks! Flybytaco

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
paul i have a brand new jug here and a brand new ring set and in the center of the bore i have a 5 thou gap which is just a bout perfect any bike i ever built always was 005 to 011 anything less heat swell can cause havoc

Last edited:

xtronic

Feb 11, 2010
California
Hey Norman, I have a newly built 50cc Grubee 2 stroke engine/kit and I'm having trouble with the throttle. I have it all hooked up but when I start the engine and twist the throttle nothing happens, also the engine revs really high, I'm thinking that there is a relation between the throttle not working and the engine revving really high. I haven't been able to take it for a spin yet because of this, so was hoping you could help out!

Thanks,
-Jason

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Jason
take the air cleaner off see if the throttle slide will open and close all the way. Sounds to me like you have the slide put in there wrong. there is a slot down the side of the throttle slide it needs to go in the carb so it will line up with the small pin sticking out inside of the carb.
easy fix if that is what is wrong.