Brakes! How are yours?

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
it looks like bluesky is your better deal, they should bolt right up to your forks
(IMHO, the 180's are overkill :))
any front disc wheel will work...as long as it is not a 'centerlock'...it needs the 6 hole iso standard mount
the bb7's are a good piece of equipment, that is a good price with your choice of rotors as well
(I like the clean sweeps:))
mech disc are easy to maintain, and bb7's have a really good rep
I had a pair of them on my haro full suspension that I sold to finance my mb

just my personal opinion/experience :)

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Bill, I was reading the reviews of the bb7 and it seems thats the one to go with. Hopefully I can find a cheap used disc wheel.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
VeniceBoy and a few others have mounted disks to a springer fork. Search on his posts. Chainganglowrider.com has a kit to mount a disk caliper to a fork that isn't equiped for it. (I may have not spelled that URL right, but you can google that string and find him).

My brake choice is a coaster with a drum on the front. Drums are retro, quiet, all weather, and can be mounted to anything.

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Quick question: are there any inexpensive extra wide side pull caliper brakes that will fit around the fenders of my Windwood, or am I SOL? I may go with an HD axle kit with the drum brakes at a later time, but for the interim i would like to have some decent stopping power on the front wheel to supplement the coaster brakes.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Quick question: are there any inexpensive extra wide side pull caliper brakes that will fit around the fenders of my Windwood, or am I SOL? I may go with an HD axle kit with the drum brakes at a later time, but for the interim i would like to have some decent stopping power on the front wheel to supplement the coaster brakes.
On mine all I had to do was squeeze the fender in a little so the brakes would clear. But no, I do not know of any extra wide caliper brakes. Maybe someone else might have an ideal.

SUNNYLAND SLIM

Aug 31, 2009
sunnyland
Wild eyed rebel biker... fat marlin brando on a ten speed with a tiny little engine. ^5. That has got to be one of the silliest images I have had in a month. Thanks for the laugh guys.

Opps was supposed to be in helmets again. Sorry
thats funny stuff no matter who you are...

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
the best brake setup i have used for these bikes is my current, a disc brake in the front, and a band brake in the back. i can lock them both up f nescessary

CHIPS X

Jul 13, 2009
South Central Minneapolis
I have the hub on, brake is functioning. Next step is to set up my light from the dynamo. Someday, pictures will be up, I need to resize them but have no program to do so.

Chips

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Which caliper brakes will work?

With a schwinn del mar, with the fenders left on? I would get a drum brake wheel, but they are just too expensive for me as of now. Any help would be appreciated.

jug98

Sep 10, 2009
Maryland
Re: Which caliper brakes will work?

I just bought this type from Ebay Black Bicycle Mx Brake - Front Alloy - eBay (item 250506901200 end time Oct-30-09 17:42:46 PDT) and they worked on my DelMar. I leave the fenders off. These had a good radious on them and cleared the fender. If you buy a different type, you can always snip a notch in the fender, on both sides, and just bend it in under the fender, to allow the brake to work. I also have the double brake lever mounted on the throttle side and the coaster brakes removed.

robbdaman

May 5, 2010
SLO
The brakes work great! It really stops fast especially when you use all three, front brake, rear brake, and coaster brake. What an improvement!

Tomorrow I will test them going down hill, did a few today but tomorrow I will go up Sentinel Peak to see how well they really work.

FR31MB/Short Ride - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I really like how this looks and if it works as great as you say I should be doing the same with my ride. I'd have to get some help if I need to do some welding though.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I really like how this looks and if it works as great as you say I should be doing the same with my ride. I'd have to get some help if I need to do some welding though.
That set-up worked great, I was reaching speeds close 48 mph going down Mount Lemon and the brakes worked great. I used cheap brakes striped from cheap Walmart bikes. If you were to use more high quality brakes I am sure it would be even better.

I was lucky enough that my Della Cruz already had the mounting holes for the brakes. At the worst you may have to drill new mounting holes.

YouTube - Motorized Bicycle up Mount Lemmon in Tucson,AZ

Mount Lemmon Ride pictures by FR31MB - Photobucket

Last edited:

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Anyone thought of adding another set of side pull brakes on the other side of the tube where my Cantiliever brakes are mounted on the rear and then doing a double lever for just the rear's, I hate front brakes bad experience.