Brakes! How are yours?

GoldenMotor.com

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
My XTR V-brakes were awesome and worked very good. I am going to build using Hayes hydraulic 8" disk brakes next. I like to go fast and stop quick.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
My Homemade Dual Brake Lever

I am planning to go up and down Catalina Mountain here soon and last time I almost killed myself when my coaster brake failed. It was the only brake I had at that time.

Right now I have the coaster brake and front caliper brakes. But I want to be as safe as possible this time.

So I want to add rear caliper brakes as well just in case the coaster brakes fail. So I should have three brakes..one front, and two rear brakes. But I do not want two brake levers to deal with. So with no money I decided to make a dual pull lever with whatever I could find in my junk pile and this is what I came up with.

I still need to install the rear caliper and I need some brake cables the right length. But the cables should be the only thing I need to buy.

I'll post pics of the whole set-up when I finished, but you can at least check out the dual lever for right now.

I know it's not very "Professional" looking..but it did not cost me a dollar and should work find.

If you click on the pic for full size you should see a small description of what I have done. Anyone have any more specific question I'd be happy to go into detail. But it's pretty much self explanatory.

FR31MB/Homemade Dual Brake Lever - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh, someone mentioned before that you can pick up a bag of cables with various size's...where's that at?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My Homemade Dual Brake Lever

I am planning to go up and down Catalina Mountain here soon and last time I almost killed myself when my coaster brake failed. It was the only brake I had at that time.

Right now I have the coaster brake and front caliper brakes. But I want to be as safe as possible this time.

So I want to add rear caliper brakes as well just in case the coaster brakes fail. So I should have three brakes..one front, and two rear brakes. But I do not want two brake levers to deal with. So with no money I decided to make a dual pull lever with whatever I could find in my junk pile and this is what I came up with.

I still need to install the rear caliper and I need some brake cables the right length. But the cables should be the only thing I need to buy.

I'll post pics of the whole set-up when I finished, but you can at least check out the dual lever for right now.

I know it's not very "Professional" looking..but it did not cost me a dollar and should work find.

If you click on the pic for full size you should see a small description of what I have done. Anyone have any more specific question I'd be happy to go into detail. But it's pretty much self explanatory.

FR31MB/Homemade Dual Brake Lever - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh, someone mentioned before that you can pick up a bag of cables with various size's...where's that at?
Fair R,
Looks good to me and I really like the price. I'm going to do something, either buy or build cause my bars are looking pretty crowded and I feel that the dual lever idea is a definite safety feature. Can you adjust the bias betwen front and rear, or are you going to use this for just your rear brakes? Let us know how it works.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I should be able to adjust the bias a little...how much? won't really know till I try it. It will work both front and rear brakes.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I just added a front cantilever in the front as well i got a used duel brake handle from the bike store today when i went to mount the back brake the shoes wont reach the rim so i am going to go back and see if i can get one that will. Then i too will be a 3 brake man front and back cantilever and a coaster brake.

you can never have enough stopping power unless your front brake is all you got.

MARK49

Nov 9, 2008
tucson
I upgraded to front suspension on both bikes that ive been riding lately and the one bike has 8" travel,upper tripple tree crown, a 8" rotor and 20mm thru axle.i think front suspension may improve front braking? i recently had a hard lesson in mb safety and santa got me a bell full face downhill helmet and im gonna slow it down a bit and have sweeet brakes.thanks for the dual rear brake idea.v-brakes are goin back on and maybe upgrade 6" rotor to a 7 or 8. peace out from a beach 300 miles south of the border

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Theres nothing more exciting then finding something you did not know you had!!

While searching my other storage room for some brake cables, I came across some disc brakes.

Now if I can just figure out how to mount them. I can weld a mount for the calipers but I have no ideal how to mount the disc to the wheels.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2008
Don't know if you guys have see our disc brake auction. our kits allows front and rear discs with a rear motor sprocket. testing the uk market but coming soon to US. For pics, click here all the best chaps

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i finished the brake upgrade on the huffy

Front Cantilever
Rear cantilever
Rear Coaster

Duel brake lever

after adjustments it stops 10ft shorter then just on the coaster at speed well worth the $30 investment

.spr..bld.dnut

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Dunno I got the kit from my bike store and the cruiser i have had holes in the right spots to add the brakes i had to flip the back side around but it works fine the mech at the bike store said it was fine and actually took a pic

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I am having trouble mounting my rear brake. Does'nt matter if I mount them on the top or bottom the pads will not reach the wheel. I am at a stand still right now, thought I would step back for a minute and hope an ideal would pop into my head.

I do not have any other brakes so some how I got to figure out how to make it work with what I got.

scratg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am having trouble mounting my rear brake. Does'nt matter if I mount them on the top or bottom the pads will not reach the wheel. I am at a stand still right now, thought I would step back for a minute and hope an ideal would pop into my head.

I do not have any other brakes so some how I got to figure out how to make it work with what I got.

scratg
Fair,
Can you post a pic? Sure would help an old fabricator offer a hand if I could see what you're up against.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have already thought about dropping the hole lower....no can do. I also thought about re-mounting the pads lower some how. But then I remembered It already has mounts for brakes I should be able to pick up some used ones at Bicas real cheap. I just have no ideal what they call this style.

I have brakes similar but the mount just a little bit different.

I have them circled in red.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2008
I have already thought about dropping the hole lower....no can do. I also thought about re-mounting the pads lower some how. But then I remembered It already has mounts for brakes I should be able to pick up some used ones at Bicas real cheap. I just have no ideal what they call this style.

I have brakes similar but the mount just a little bit different.

I have them circled in red.
Those are pannier fixtures not brake mounts. I have had this same problem with my cruiser. I was lucky enough to have some spare caliper brakes off an old bike, there hard to find now, did by some of the new dual pivot caliper brakes off eBay but they wouldn't reach....kick2