anyone ever built a engine for use with nitromethane?

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Scale up a hobby motor and then pull 60mph...
Yes...I just got the intent of your wise-crack. That bike is nearly finished...I have no control over the fact that the 60 mph thread, (or what-ever it was ultimately named), was locked!

I didn't start that thread...the kid that works for me DVbikes, (NOW BANNED), put that thread up!

This forum IS NOT MINE...there were people who did not want to see the progress of this bike, and it's not for me to question why...

All of the mods that would have been put up as a series have been done and the bike is ready to be shipped to Trinidad.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
OK, Jim, let us all see your 60mph pull, any engine, any bike, with your obviously more experienced knowlege and skills with nitro fuels, machining and racing than either Graham Bell or Gordon Jennings combined knowlege forgot.

You are clearly the man without any results to speak of..
Go back to post #52 and click on the link for the you tube video.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
wildermere is australian

jim is a paraniod american

losing his ****
Yes....lafflafflaff...I think I may have inhaled too much Nitromethane fumes.

Don't doubt my experience my Aussie friend...you WILL be proved wrong...the Manic Mechanic crew has...know how...tools...machines...You guys are cheap! Spend thrift! You want Cool stuff! We work hard to make parts at the lowest price...DO YOU CARE...NO...just smart cracks and criticism. I don't care...because I know you wouldn't last 3 days at this shop before Karen fired YOU!

Jim

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Seriously?

All we've got here at this point is theory - it may be based on practical experience on both sides, but it's still theory nonetheless.

Build yer engines and prove the other wrong, until then such bickering is pointless and in all honesty - tiresome.

Continued strife will result in this topic getting closed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...actually let me rephrase that...

Despite the disagreement there's been a lot of very interesting information exchanged here from all involved and I think it benefits all to see it - if we can simply keep the emotion at bay and just discuss the issue.

...which should be easier than building a nitro engine and/or a 60mph bike lol

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will also add that DV was banned for unrelated reasons, not because he made a crazy and unproven claim.

He was spewing insults in chat and I am not talking about the jovial friendly ribbing kind.

All he needed to do was issue an apology, but it never happened.

He STILL never hit 60 on his bike unless it was in the back of his truck on the way to be shipped.

Now about the "nitro powered" hand grenade, er, chinese bicycle motor....how's that working for you? Any progress or updates or is this thread going in the same direction that most do?

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
Geezzz i take a minute off the net to do some events for work and prepare for my works 6 year party...gahhhh so much to do in so little time but any way

im still working with the frame just havent had time.....

one thing at a time..one at a time...

you can dump this fuel into the motor and run it as is i see plentyyyyyyyyyy of the puch fanatics out here that do it...but granted on stock internals it will not do it for long
it will definatly grenade to one million pieces..... as i have seen plenty of their motors do....

as of now im working up ideas for the piston and rod...
im most likely going with a machined stainless rod
using 316 lvm steel

and a franco moroni piston from an indian 50cc since its a dome top

but still working on things dont worry

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
How are you going to get fuel into this nitro motor? Gas runs at about 12 to 1 air - fuel ratio, alcohol about 8 to 1 and nitro about 4 to 1. It takes a top fuel dragster about 18 gallons of fuel to run 1/4 mile and the crankshaft turns less than 600 times.

No way can a carb pass enough fuel for nitro. You are also going to need a heavy duty clamping device between the bottom of the case and the head or you will blow the barrel right off.

Jim

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i dont know anything about the properties and fuel ratios of alchol and nitro but gas is not 12 to 1 its 14.7 to 1, and couldnt he just replace the 4 studs holding the top end to the bottom with some high grade steal ones? or would it just pull the threads right out of the bottom end ?

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
With the kinds of cylinder pressures that would be created using nitromethane for fuel the studs would stretch and the head gaskets would leak. There is no single defined air-fuel ratio with gasoline it changes with power settings. Leaner when at steady speed cruise mode and richer when accelerating. Think about what the needle in the HT carb does. It richens the mixture as you open the throttle.

BTW, a nitromethane burning top fuel drag racing engine has a compression ratio of about 6.5 to1. They are not high compression engines.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
With the kinds of cylinder pressures that would be created using nitromethane for fuel the studs would stretch and the head gaskets would leak. There is no single defined air-fuel ratio with gasoline it changes with power settings. Leaner when at steady speed cruise mode and richer when accelerating. Think about what the needle in the HT carb does. It richens the mixture as you open the throttle.

BTW, a nitromethane burning top fuel drag racing engine has a compression ratio of about 6.5 to1. They are not high compression engines.
Just to add "fuel to the fire".....yes, when you open the throttle the needle moves up "richening the mixture" BUT the slide also moves up letting more air in, therefore "leaning the mixture". Also, don't forget the fact that nitromethane top fuelers have a BLOWER, which while the static compression may not be very high, the blower increases it CONSIDERABLY.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Just to pour a little more fuel on the fire.
I've ran nitro and alcohol in a 5 hp briggs, for racing outlaw karting with a highly modified briggs
engine. Billet rod , special cam, piston, rings and carb. All special built for alcohol and a little nitro
I only ran 5% nitro.
They don't live long on the nitro let me tell ya.
One of my friends borrowed some of my special fuel one night at the races I told him about the special little extra in the alcohol and the need for a bigger jet, which he didn't do. At about the next to the last lap the engine seized up solid it over heated due to a lean hot mix. The piston melted to the cylinder. OoooPS!!!

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
vp m4 methanol is 4$ a gallon at my local fuel shop way cheaper than any gas they sell which starts at 8.99 a gal vp c12 i actually dumped a quart of traxas rc fuel in a bike once it knocked wicked bad as the jetting was for gasoline and the kill switch wouldnt shut it off i thaught it was broke but it was the fuel it def ran though but sounded like a box of rocks lol