anyone ever built a engine for use with nitromethane?

GoldenMotor.com

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
Ive started a new board tracker project and i do not intend it to be fore daily driving...but more for hauling to the velodrome and doing speed runs and taking out to the middle of nowhere to see what i can get it up too.

For the engine i plan on building it to run on nitro methane fuel prolly about a 15% to 20% mixture
but maybe ill try pushing it higher on another motor depending how this project goes.

ive raced r/c nitro cars a good extent of my life for drag racing... and ive built some burly motors

and plan on applying some of the modification techniques to a larger 2 stroke.... i mean in my mind (as insane as it is) i cant see why a 50CC engine cant be made to produce insane amounts of power.
Considering my small block pro mod r/c dragster with a 3CC motor is putting out close to 8HP at 12,000 rpm.....

So my plan's so far are to take the engine and make some shim plates for the head so i can raise and lower the compression to my liking(which is a standard for r/c nitro's) but also mill it down some to raise the compression a bit period.
then from there adding a bigger carb with bigger jets and velocity stack style intake....as well as a shorter manifold

opening up and matching the ports (mirror polish on the exhaust side matte finish on the intake side)

making a hotter sparking ignition system, putting better bearing's in the motor as well

also polishing the con. rod as well as polishing and balancing the crank shaft.. possibly even finning it (done alot in r/c drag racing by altering the crankshaft lobes carefully by adding fin's like a turbo on the crank big downside is its a pain to balance after this... but when done right makes your engine suck in air harder than a leaf blower at high rpm's but another downside makes tuning a pain.)

then for the exhaust its going to be rather open with r/c drag cars we tend to use r/c race boat pipe's which are very open very loud but give you a great wide power band especially at high RPM's

so if things go as i plan it will be one fast boardtracker..if not i will probably explode into flames....

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
haha yep i plan on it.. im going to be doing alot of internal work though...

i just really dont grasp how a 75 dollar 3CC engine can be built to haul a$$
granted they have other motors that cost like 300 bucks that will be insanely powerful out of the box but still this is 3CC were talking.....

with enough time and carful work i dont see any reason an insanely strong 50CC cant be done..of course time and money and resources are a factor.... but applying the tuning techniques onto a larger motor will probably open up alot of power...but ill prolly blow a few to pieces in the process of getting it right but its worth a shot .

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was heavily into Nitro R/C car racing for many years; 1/8 scale ON ROAD cars, (over 80MPH!)
Where some of the ideas work on these HT engines, the simple fact is that those R/C engines were built to handle nitro fuel & very high RPMs (over 48,000 RPMS)... these HT engines aren't! :(

Here's some pics of the kind of cars I raced... 'SMP Slide'.

Last edited:

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
gahhhhh i love 1/8th pan cars

true but machining parts to handle the load could be a solution i mean heal a solid aluminum or titanium connecting rod would make a world of difference
haha this is more my style of r/c: YouTube - Nitro RC Funny Car Drag racing QMDRA IMDRA RODS

it can be done most likely just not really time or cost affective thank god i have plenty of downtime at work and access to materials and machining tools

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The thing is that 3cc motor may be putting out 8hp but how much torque? HP without torque to back it up is meaningless.

Not trying to be a buzzkill here but sure you could possibly get a HT motor to scream if you tore one down, threw the pile of parts in the trash and replaced everything with hand made HP parts but then you'd just have a hand made HT motor that would probably have way over $1000 in materials and time invested in it.
Or you could just buy a Morini.

Check out foureasy's threads on building a performance HT motor.

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
generally on your gearing alot of the top fuel guys are getting 5 to 6 pounds of torque
but gearing plays a major part as well for those motors.....but needless to say most guys in top fuel are doing 132ft in just over one second....

not being a buzzkill....

but its not really what its about for me.... id rather build something out of nothing.... than throw a bunch of money on a crate motor that all ready cooks...

how i look at it...
would you be more proud of a 350 big block that pushes out heaps of power
that you built all your self and put every ounce of work into
or one that you just bought and slapped into your car ?

thats just how i like to do things
hhaha

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
haha im talking 1/10th and my fav engine is 175 tops...75 if you hunt one down....HPI Nitro Star G3.0 Engine w/Pull Start 15105

on road is a whole different animal from drag i always raced extreme class...only rule is min. weight and a few safety requirements.... its where people either drop obscene amounts of money to go fast (why work your ass off to make speed when you can just throw money out for it) or people get really creative.

i have a piston with a twisted connecting rod on my keys.... that was from a nitrous injection on 50% fuel experiment......

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
how i look at it...
would you be more proud of a 350 big block that pushes out heaps of power
that you built all your self and put every ounce of work into
or one that you just bought and slapped into your car ?

thats just how i like to do things
hhaha
Difference there is there are a crapton of basically bolt on parts for the SBC and with minimal machining you can get gobs of power out of one.

I know where you're coming from but it's kind of like putting a ton of money and work into having a 150HP Yugo instead of building 300hp Honda. :D

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
this is tru but i have access to all the machining equipment i would need.... and despite my day job.. i have no problem sitting for a few hours milling things out at night...since thats also part of my day job as making tools and suspension rigs and hooks as well as jewelry.... so after my store closes im stuck to the machines till 3 or 4 am anyway

god imagine how amazing a 150 yugo would be to drive haha
i like making really random things very fast haha
like a skilsaw powered skateboard haha
that hting was fun till it runs out of extension cord that is

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
i heard the carb gaskets would not hold up with nitro. nitro motors use a glow plug and have tons of compression. also i heard you have to have a lot of air to make nitro burn. i would love to see someone try it and see what happens!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
**** at 8 hp I wanna put one on a skinny lil road bike and see how fast I can go. But I hate the smell of burning nitromethane, I used to make RC 4x4 trucks (I like playing in the mud), my favorite was a monster with a 57 chevy body.

Last edited:

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
well i for sure will be using tougher gaskets... the glow plug wont really be needed nitro will burn fine without it but maybe a dual plug design head....
it burns alot better under super high compression for sure and i plan to raise it very high.., i wouldnt say you would need more air getting too it to make it burn but with r/c nitro drags the more air the better..... i think how im going to do it is build a couple engines try different mixtures and and set ups that i used for r/c engines running that fuel precentage.....i garuntten im going to blow atleast 5 to a million little pieces before i get it right.......

haha thats pretty much what im doing... i like the look of the straight up board tracker replica's that people build...but those are for cruising..... i want this for speed.. and the frames that work best are nice and look great but too heavy for any performance so what my goal is to make a modern looking board tracker the base frame is a larger super light cycle cross frame.... i wont be using a springer front i like the look but even making one out of carbon fiber will be more heavy than a standard carbon fiber front fork.

So it going to be very pourpus built.... and as light as possible

like 4X4 check this out YouTube - 186 LBS. full pull

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
haha im talking 1/10th and my fav engine is 175 tops...75 if you hunt one down....HPI Nitro Star G3.0 Engine w/Pull Start 15105

on road is a whole different animal from drag i always raced extreme class...only rule is min. weight and a few safety requirements.... its where people either drop obscene amounts of money to go fast (why work your ass off to make speed when you can just throw money out for it) or people get really creative.

i have a piston with a twisted connecting rod on my keys.... that was from a nitrous injection on 50% fuel experiment......
Yeah... Those theories don't work in on road racing. Our cars have to be fast & last for a whole 1 hour race without getting hot or blowing up! (Not just run for a 2 second race.) ;)

Mikenite

Sep 29, 2009
los angeles
hahaa of course thats the case for on road...
but you still wont have the same power that a drag car has...**** have built a few motors that literally would not last more than 10 seconds at full....
good thing they only needed to run for 1 second hahaha

and then got rebuilt after every 6 or 7 passes