Votes: 65 30.0%
  • Under 60

Votes: 87 40.1%
  • Over 60

Votes: 36 16.6%

• Total voters
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Try barrelstacking 150-200 semi tires 8-10 high and tell me how old you would feel after that. rustmullet
I delivered car tires for about 3 years...sometimes 1200 in a load in a day I loved it made me feel great. I unloaded 1 load of big truck tires and it was much easier due to being only about 300 but it was more like lifting weights than arobic chunkin car tires both were a great workout though. The hardest is when yo got to make them tires go uphill...ye really gotta put a spin on em!

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Ole buzzard here, General Dwight David Eisenhour "IKE" was president in the 50s before Kennedy. The only president since George Washington with a military background.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning how to dance in the rain."

buzzard
What, Ulysses Grant didn't have a military background?

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
My mililtary history is not the best, but yes he did have a military background during the Civil War. I wasn't even a twinkle in my Daddy's eye then. Teddy R. was a military strategist, that kicked ass on San Jaun hill. He was a Rough Rider not a military officer.
I wonder if some of you old farts can remember this: gasoline 15c a gallon, a loaf of bread was 10c, a quart of milk with cream on top in a glass bottle 25c. You couldn't buy tires, my bike tires were more patches than tires Commodities were rationed and Mom had to use Gov ration coupons to buy almost everything.
I bought my first bike (from one hidden in the local Western Auto basement), money earned on a paper route, and on weekends I set pins manually at the local bowling alley for 9c a line. My knuckles were big as quarters from handling 3 pins in one hand. Came to good use when I kicked the **** out of the town bully! He thought he could just tke my bike... didn't happen. lol
I'm just an old man rambling on... and loves motor bikes.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...its about learning how to dance in the rain."

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Buzzard, yep, some of my earliest memories were going to the store amd Mom giving the grocer coupons.
Milk froze in the winter and pushed the cap up on a column of cream and if the milk man left it on the front porch and not in the milk box, the cats got the cream licked off before it was taken in the house.

The first car Dad got after the war{He sold pallets to Ford. Put him on top of the list.} came with 1 door handle and 1 window crank and you had to hand it around to who ever wanted to use it. You got the others up to a year later. There was not enough material/chrome after the war to supply everything to anyone lucky enough to get a new car.

I didn't get a bike until 1952 because there weren't many available and the ones that were, cost a lot.

Loved the paper route and you had to buy it from the kid that had it. My folks owned two bowling alleys. It was 5 pins here in Canada. Ever have the jerks that liked to hit the head pin and see if they could get the pin boy. They could see your feet on the rail and knew where you were. Got the kid next to me once and he chased the bowler and hit him on the back of the head with a thrown 5 pin as he went out the door. Out like a light. Kid went to the doctor to get his broken arm set.
Three 10 pins at one time. Yipes! The bowling balls were twice the size of ours too. Dad had one lane set up for ten pins. How many kids would want to cover 4 lanes because the money was so good, then you got 4 strikes on them. Set them up and before you got out of the pit they threw the ball. Pin boy talk. LOL

How about candy stores and you holding on to a dime looking at the 3 for a penny candy. You may have had 2 friends helping with the choices too. The one we went to sold you an ice cream cone that you had to hold with both hands for 15 cents.

Steve.

Last edited:

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
How about "Gas Wars"??? .20/gal gas going down to .07/gal? LOL!!! Boy do I wish I had a big enough time machine to make a few "supply runs"!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Listening to you guys talk about the prices of things brought back memories of my summers living on Ojibwa Lake north of Ely, Minnesota. We had a deal with the resort owner to supply crawdads for the bass fishermen. When they cleaned their fish and saw they'd been eating crawdads all of a sudden the demand was on and I went to work with a fever turning rocks over along the shore in the daytime and scanning the shallows at the beach with a flashlight in the dark. A dozen crawdads went for 35 cents. Wow. You talk about easy money. At the lodge I could buy cold bottles of Kist pop for a dime each and Hershey bars for a nickle each. That works out to 3 candy bars and 2 bottles of pop for a dozen sets of pincers. Some days I caught ten or twelve dozen and felt absolutely flush with money.
SB

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
How about collecting returnable glass bottle for change?

I can't count the number of times I collected coke bottles in a wagon to sell at the local grocers for 5cents apiece... A whole wagonload of bottles was a good days haul!

And mowing yards for a buck or two... now it's what? $50? AND they use a RIDING LAWNMOWER!!! Robbery.

Too bad a buck is only worth about .03 cents now, huh? Remember before the government decided they had a better idea?

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO

I can't count the number of times I collected coke bottles in a wagon to sell at the local grocers for 5cents apiece... A whole wagonload of bottles was a good days haul!

And mowing yards for a buck or two... now it's what? $50? AND they use a RIDING LAWNMOWER!!! Robbery.

Too bad a buck is only worth about .03 cents now, huh? Remember before the government decided they had a better idea?
Was living outside Oklahoma City during the early 70's & did all of this to make some money. Funny thing...the same bottles we would collect & sell for spending money are now collector items...if you can find them.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Hey, that's good money. We only got 2 cents a bottle, but it was still a good haul. I can remember a buddy and I getting Friday night money for a pack of Luckys and a couple gallons of gas to go cruisin'... funded by a mad search for pop bottles to return for mad money. I think a lot of kids were in the pop bottle business. And now the plastic ones sit in the ditch by roadsides and even newspapers are becoming digital. We're geezers alright. The times, they are a changin'.
SB

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Silverbear those were the days.We have a crawdad supper for the farmers and coustomers at the flying service,last year they cooked 1900 lbs.I wish you still sold them for 35 cents a dozen.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
How many of you fellas remember when you best friend was the guy who had 50 cents to put in the gas tank. Round up 6 guys and you were good for Friday and Saturday night.

Pop bottles in our neck of the woods were 2 cents and the big ones were 5 cents. Knew some guys who had an endless suppjy of 10 cent milk bottles and money until one of them got caught reaching into the milk box built into the house and the husband opened the door on the inside and tried to pull him through the opening over and over again. House was made of brick and he was bouncing off it. Not pretty

Remember the water cooled pop bottle dispensers? Put your dime in and you pulled what you wanted along the rail and then up through the gate and if it slipped out of your hand and fell back in, you had to hope the owner saw you put the money in or you lost it.
A 1/2 acre lawn paid about $2.50 around us and the really good jobs included lemon aid about 1/2 way through. Girlfriends parents were free but you had to love the benifits of doing the job at the drive-in.

For the guys in the rust belt, a $50 car didn't have a floor and a $100 car did. Some old pop advertising signs and some sheet metal screws doubled the value of your car on a Saturday morning..
Today filling the gas tank does the same thing for me.

Who had to park thier car on a hill so you could jump start it because a used battery was $3 at the auto wreckers and push starting was free.
Anybody have your girlfriends Dad loan you his car because he wouldn't let her ride in yours?

Who remembers that you only paid a $100 for the model A because it was mint and the former owner filled the tank for you. Who learned that a model A would run on kerosene or naptha gas and they were cheaper than regular gas.

Steve.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
An ice cream cone you could hold in BOTH hands for 15c... you will never see those days again LOL.
How about the Saturday afternoon movie for 12c and your favoritie cowboy actors like Hopalong Cassidy or Lash LaRue? Durango Kid? Popcorn cost 5c if you didn't bring your own from home. Plus the newsreel. Then you had to come back the next Saturday to see how the serial came out.... Captain Marvel comic books were 10c and Dixie Cups were 5c with a movie stars picture on the inside of the lid.
I learned to drive an old International pickup with the 4 speed on the floor and I had to stand up to use the clutch. I must have been maybe 13. My first car was willed to me in an estate of an Uncle that passed on and his widow kept it in a shed until I had my drivers license. It was a 1929 model A Ford Coupe Ragtop with spoke wheels and a rumble seat. THe girls loved it! In all my high school years I worked in the canneries in Fairmont, MN and Lucere (hope that is right). I also worked 3 nights a week at the drive in theatre running the movie projectors, the first colored movie I ran was Shane starrred Allan Ladd. I bought a 1949 Wizzard motor bike used it was my first motor bike build. I used to haul it around on the back of the Model A that had 2 little bumpers that made a perfect bike carrier when the A broke down I had a way to get help and parts. Dad worked for Chrysler Corp at International Falls winter proving grounds checking out military equipment half tracks jeeps and related equipment. I think they were all going to Korea. Saved most of my money and went to trade school in Mankato MN for 2 years. Specializing in diesel and heavy equipment and welding. When I received a letter from good old Uncle Sam wanting my hippy ass in the Marine Corp. One year in Korea sent our outfit back to the states to Paris Island and we were retraining jungle training. Shipped us off back to a place called Viet Nam. And I asked where the **** is that ... I soon found out. And I came back home in one piece but deaf.
When I get to rambling I don't have enough sense to stop...

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
...Yeah, the 1990's were great times...
They we're OK... but you should have been around from about '65 to '75! What a ride!

I actually feel sorry that young people will never know what it was really like when things like The Beatles literally shook the world... now all they have is Janey Jacksons nipple during the superbowl.