• Under 60

Votes: 87 40.1%
  • Over 60

Votes: 36 16.6%

• Total voters

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
well i am turning 42 and still listen to metal and my son listens to it too! you are as old as you want tobe! i'M RIDING EVERYDAY AND LOVING IT! so everyone here rock on!! cvlt1.shft.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Silverbear that is probably one of the best things I have ever read on this forum, you are the real thing. I wish you were in my neck of the woods, I could probably learn a lot from you. Take care and may your insight help others be better for it.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
turtletedd my wife says NO WAY!
Always liked a good sense of humor and a good story. Being able to laugh at yourself and have someone laugh with you, laughter is better than a whole medicine cabient of pills. George Carlin is one of my favorites.
Silverbear you should write a book. You have a wonderful way with words. Your phylosophy of life is awesome.
Heres a little story. There was an old fellow down in FL that rode a bike all his life. He rode cross country and on the board tracks back in the 30s. He rode an old steel road bike and could come out of the gate a helling and hold a cadence that any 20 yo would envy. He sustained himself by eating out of his own organic garden and was real popular with the cycling crowd in Miami. He rode up till the last few months of his life. He passed on a year or 2 ago, he was in his mid 80s.
I used to ride with the spandex crowd but I got one knee going bad and I didn't look that great in spandex with my knobby knees and didn't shave my legs. My clip on shoes made my feet hurt. Went back to motorbike riding last couple years this way I can enjoy the ride and smell the flowers. I hope to have my workman newsboy bike and HF motor together in the next month or so. I'll be 73 on 5/2.
buzzard

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... its about learning to dance in the rain.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Buzzard,
Thanks for your kind words. I sat here for awhile trying to remember what it is that I wrote. So I had to go back a few pages and look. It was OK, but I spend a lot of time with myself and get used to the way I think and see things. It doesn't seem very special to me. I have a terrible memory. I might have anyway by this time in my life, but I can blame it on a traumatic brain injury from being struck by lightning in the summer of 95. I was hit through a telephone and was left with bleeding burns at the exit points between my eyes, forehead and crown. I got the front lobe of my brain cooked, lost much of my hearing, have a constant noise in my head, developed guillane barre syndrome which is a partial paralysis like polio, lost chunks of my long term memory and have a truly crappy short term memory. I spend so much time looking for what was just in my hand it is kind of funny. I've gotten to where nuts and bolts and tools seem like they hide from me. All I have to do is something else for a minute and it's time to play hide and seek. The stuff is alive, I tell you!
Anyway,I lost much on one level, but gained more on the spiritual side and it keeps life interesting. There's nothing like being dead for awhile to make you appreciate being alive. Every day really is a gift even if some of them I wouldn't mind exchanging for an upgrade. I find that waking up in the morning is a good way to start the day and I'm thankful for being able to dress and walk and all the little things like having something to eat, being able to look around and see beauty everywhere in the forest. There was a time when I couldn't walk very well, fell a lot and was very low, feeling like I'd lived a long time and it was maybe long enough. Then I got my little dog Aaniimoosh, practiced walking so that now people don't know I'm a crip, tried riding a bike and found that I could... and then got the bright idea to get a motor since I couldn't peddle far, remembering an almost forgotten wish from a very long time ago when I was a boy. And here I am, old and forgetful, but among friends who also like to play with their bicycles. What could be better? In a month I'll be home in Minnesota and it will be summer time when the lake country is heaven and I can be Huck Finn. Where Aaniimoosh the Wonder Dog sits by her kiddie trailer and barks, asking for a ride. So we take a little lunch of peanut butter and jelly and cold can of beer, ride through the forest for a time, find a creek or lake to sit by and share our sandwich. She figures the crust must be the best part since that is what I give her. And that, too, is a good philosophy of life, straight from the dog and something to think about. Life is good. G'night, Bud. It's been a long day...
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Buzzard, I take it that was a gallon of wine! At that price it must have been half decent.

Stuff we used to drink would drive a maggot off a gut cart. Had a fella take a whizz on the camp fire after a half gallon and we had h*ll putting him out when he caught fire. Like drinking turpentine and whizzing on a brush fire. It was called 4 Aces and it was well named. Quart of that and you had a full hand the rest of the night.

My brother just said it was a full bodied, rich, red wine. Just like Ripple it has passed into the mists of time and the memories of old men.

Anyone remember Jackie Gleason taking a hit out of his tea cup and carrying on about how great it was? Rolling his eyes around and twisting up his face as he described it.

Steve.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
fasteddy is that where the phrase 'sitting the woods on fire' comes from?
Maybe Jackie Gleason had a little ripple in that tea cup. I loved it when he played Joe the Bartender. Lucile Ball selling 'vitevegin' that was practically alcohol. All in black and white TV. You don't find comedy like that any more. The younger genereation don't know what they missed.
buzzard

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Siverbear I can relate to the seriousness of your accident July 20 of 97 was not a very good day/year for me. I was working on an electrical panel in an old building that the electrical system was a complete nightmare. I had the master switch shut down but got into a part that wasn't on the schematic drawings and was 440 volts live coming in off the street. Needless to say it shorted out I was severely burned if I hadn't had safety glasses on with glass lenses I'd be blind. It was like 100 arc welders going off in your face. It was such an electrical explosion it threw me 10 feet back against a wall and burnt the leather right off my steel toed boots. In the ambulance I told them if they didnt' give me something for the pain to just drop me at the mortuary we were driving past. I spent 2 months in the burn center. I lost part of my upper lip and got one **** of a face lift. I ended up with 4 surgeries with skin grafts and one later on my hand to keep it. I'm a lefty and it was my left hand. It was a long year recuperating. I must have had a guardian angel on my shoulder because I know I died at least 2 times. Once you experience something that life changing it gives you a whole different out look on life. Things that were so important before seem like insignificant bull. There is no such thing as a bad day when you're still moving around. You get to enjoy the small things you took for granted for so many years. Like getting up in the morning and watching the sunrise. And inner peace within yourself.
As for forgetfulness I have a bad case of sometimersdisease I can leave a screwdriver on the work bench and later when I need it its gone. So I get another one to finish the job then I realize its in my back pocket. I guess I just have to live with it. All in all my health is pretty good all but for my hearing with tinitus ringing like church bells and can't hear anything else. And I hate wearing hearing aids. So I don't.
buzzard

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Ah yes, the old foolish days. I remember a good white wine, Thunderbird. Much more boquet than Ripple. LOL glad I gave all that stuff up back in my twenties, flying in NW Alaska and drinking is a bad combination.

fernando66cc

Feb 4, 2010
California, Orange county
Wow you old people have great stories, and your youth spirit shows by your builds and actualy riding motorized bicycles. I find it hard to believe that 60 year olds can manage to use the computer yet alone a forum. Haha, I'm kiding I just underestimate cavemen, the one two punch joke :) . I'm 17 and I already made 5 motorized bicycles. Good to hear that people from all ages build, ride, and enjoy motorized bicycles. Ride on!

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Wow you old people have great stories, and your youth spirit shows by your builds and actualy riding motorized bicycles. I find it hard to believe that 60 year olds can manage to use the computer yet alone a forum. Haha, I'm kiding I just underestimate cavemen, the one two punch joke :) . I'm 17 and I already made 5 motorized bicycles. Good to hear that people from all ages build, ride, and enjoy motorized bicycles. Ride on!
Indeed before too long ill be one too. im 34 atm. but yeah build em , ride em, and most of all, ENJOY them.shft.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Siverbear I can relate to the seriousness of your accident July 20 of 97 was not a very good day/year for me. I was working on an electrical panel in an old building that the electrical system was a complete nightmare. I had the master switch shut down but got into a part that wasn't on the schematic drawings and was 440 volts live coming in off the street. Needless to say it shorted out I was severely burned if I hadn't had safety glasses on with glass lenses I'd be blind. It was like 100 arc welders going off in your face. It was such an electrical explosion it threw me 10 feet back against a wall and burnt the leather right off my steel toed boots. In the ambulance I told them if they didnt' give me something for the pain to just drop me at the mortuary we were driving past. I spent 2 months in the burn center. I lost part of my upper lip and got one **** of a face lift. I ended up with 4 surgeries with skin grafts and one later on my hand to keep it. I'm a lefty and it was my left hand. It was a long year recuperating. I must have had a guardian angel on my shoulder because I know I died at least 2 times. Once you experience something that life changing it gives you a whole different out look on life. Things that were so important before seem like insignificant bull. There is no such thing as a bad day when you're still moving around. You get to enjoy the small things you took for granted for so many years. Like getting up in the morning and watching the sunrise. And inner peace within yourself.
As for forgetfulness I have a bad case of sometimersdisease I can leave a screwdriver on the work bench and later when I need it its gone. So I get another one to finish the job then I realize its in my back pocket. I guess I just have to live with it. All in all my health is pretty good all but for my hearing with tinitus ringing like church bells and can't hear anything else. And I hate wearing hearing aids. So I don't.
buzzard
Buzzard,
Sounds like you went through the wringer, came out wrinkled up, but clean. Ha! I am in agreement with what you have said. Sometimes a shock (not electrical, but something to knock us off our feet) can help us re-orient our lives into something more meaningful and more directed toward our inner spirit. Watching the sun rise over the horizon is a mystical thing, like going to church for some people. I'd call it going to earth church. In the traditional Indian view, the sun is our grandfather, the moon our grandmother, mother earth, father sky... all our relations. I forget it now, but there is an Ojibwa word which means "the sun is peeking" to describe the rising sun as it first looks over the horizon at creation, "ogitiigon"... "the Great Spirit's garden". Wishing you a very good day,
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I was using a computer before you were born. I had one computer just for a bbs 20 years ago. BTW a bbs was a computer bulletin board that people could log in on and download files, playames and chat before there was an internet.